Monitors New Dell 27" monitor

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Sei said:
Vandal do you do some professional work that requires a big monitor? Sorry for the noob question, but aren't big monitors only good if you do some photo editing or something? I really don't know. :ashamed:

IDK about professional work but been using a 2*20 setup for the past 4 months.. shifted to 2*24 setup a week back. It helps. Majorly. Even for something as mundane as browsing the web.

I am NEVER going back to single monitors :)

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Sei said:
^ Bloody rich people! *long sigh*

:p I don't personally own any one of them.. so :p
PS - I own just my lappie. So, If and when I buy a desktop next, it'll have dual screens :p

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
stalker said:
IDK about professional work but been using a 2*20 setup for the past 4 months.. shifted to 2*24 setup a week back. It helps. Majorly. Even for something as mundane as browsing the web.

I am NEVER going back to single monitors :)

I get confused with two monitors, do not know what is going where.

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
Rockfella said:
LG 32" is avl for 32-35k. There is no limit to what prerequisites one has while buying hardware. i was just talking mainstream stuff. ideally i wud keep a 19-22" Tn and buy a 32/42 full hd LCD TV rather than buy this 27" for 35/40k... just my opinion :)

Yeah, I'm not talking mainstream stuff, which is what I leave to folk like you :p

^Not into a lot of photo work, but I would like to start sharpening my skills.

^Lord - not as expensive, in fact shockingly cheap, if you compare it to the 3008WFP, remember "shockingly".

^Sangram damn...Cranky, thanks for that. I remember coming to your place and was surprised seeing your monitor running at 1680 x 1050 ??? Was it that res, because it wasn't native and wasn't looking as sharp. This one does 1680 x 1050 pretty well with sharpness turned on. Should be good for movies. Anyone knows if this is an S-IPS panel or H-IPS? I hope it's not E-IPS...because all Dell says is IPS.

Sunny, since you're the richest boi here, buy it and do a comprehensive review. You'll be helping lesser mortals like me ;)

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
You saw it with my Jetway 690G board, which could not push out anything above 1920x without getting epileptic and suffering from blackouts. I sorted that out a few upgrades later, most AMD 6 series chipsets and up support 2560x1600 natively.

2560x1440 isn't on any resolution settings I've ever seen, so I guess you'll be playing games at 1080 filled to the screen, though desktop should still be at native res.

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
Vandal said:
Sunny, since you're the richest boi here, buy it and do a comprehensive review. You'll be helping lesser mortals like me ;)

Hoping to get a similar quote in India. Else have to just wait for March 1st:(

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
cranky said:
You saw it with my Jetway 690G board, which could not push out anything above 1920x without getting epileptic and suffering from blackouts. I sorted that out a few upgrades later, most AMD 6 series chipsets and up support 2560x1600 natively.

2560x1440 isn't on any resolution settings I've ever seen, so I guess you'll be playing games at 1080 filled to the screen, though desktop should still be at native res.

2560 x 1440 will not show up as a resolution unless your monitor supports it natively. The hardware will check, 1080p which is also 16:9 is supported, but 2560 x 1440 would not have been at the time of the 3008WFP which is why you didn't get that res to select.

Correct if I'm wrong, but it's virtually nothing in a game to add support for a particular resolution.

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
SunnyBoi said:
Buy 2 14" CRTs and enjoy the 28inch experience :D

Monitor is a two dimensional thing and size is measured diagonally , so you will need 4 to get the 28" experience. Two will give only half the experience. :p

Vandal said:
2560 x 1440 will not show up as a resolution unless your monitor supports it natively. The hardware will check, 1080p which is also 16:9 is supported, but 2560 x 1440 would not have been at the time of the 3008WFP which is why you didn't get that res to select.

Correct if I'm wrong, but it's virtually nothing in a game to add support for a particular resolution.

The first part is true, you will get resolution selection based on what your display and GPU and supports. So not all resolutions are always listed.

As for games, it does not work that way. Many games have limitations on what resolutions they support.

Unlike console games which rarely render graphics at 1080p natively rather than simply upscaing from a single lower resolution as part of a post processing step, PC game almost always render natively at the resolution you selected. So often times, Game developers lock out resolutions that they think their engine will not be able to handle gracefually. So in such cases you get resolution based on what your display, GPU and game supports.

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
Lord Nemesis said:
Monitor is a two dimensional thing and size is measured diagonally , so you will need 4 to get the 28" experience. Two will give only half the experience. :p

The first part is true, you will get resolution selection based on what your display and GPU and supports. So not all resolutions are always listed.

As for games, it does not work that way. Many games have limitations on what resolutions they support.

Unlike console games which rarely render graphics at 1080p natively rather than simply upscaing from a single lower resolution as part of a post processing step, PC game almost always render natively at the resolution you selected. So often times, Game developers lock out resolutions that they think their engine will not be able to handle gracefually. So in such cases you get resolution based on what your display, GPU and game supports.

Ajay, what I'm also saying is, 2560 x 1440 isn't a non-standard res, like say 1428 x 1120 (which nobody will have heard of). After all, 2560 x 1600 (16:10) has been around for awhile and this is simply the corresponding 16:9. Say, can you name a few games that support 2560 x 1440? How common is it?

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
I don't believe a tech writer for one of the biggest mags in India can't get his hands on the price, or can't PM or FB message it to some people.

People, I tell you....

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
cranky said:
I don't believe a tech writer for one of the biggest mags in India can't get his hands on the price, or can't PM or FB message it to some people.

People, I tell you....

Man, you deserve your nick :p Yes, I will.

PM replied to.

janitha

Adept
Jul 31, 2007
Vandal said:
Man, you deserve your nick :p Yes, I will.

PM replied to.

Any harm in posting here? As often said, "we lesser mortals" too will get an idea whether it is affordable for us.;)

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
janitha said:
Any harm in posting here? As often said, "we lesser mortals" too will get an idea whether it is affordable for us.;)

In response to your query yes. Dealers here often crook people, and it's better one gets a quote from Dell itself. I do not want to provide anyone with a benchmark quote from Dell, but if you get a quote, will gladly let you know how much you ought to be paying.

janitha

Adept
Jul 31, 2007
Vandal said:
In response to your query yes. Dealers here often crook people, and it's better one gets a quote from Dell itself. I do not want to provide anyone with a benchmark quote from Dell, but if you get a quote, will gladly let you know how much you ought to be paying.

Yes, I can very well understand it. Let me try to get a quote from them.

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Vandal said:

Dealers here often crook people,
I'm not quiet sure I get what you are implying here. How is it an issue if someone knows what they should be paying before hand?
I don't see how hiding your quote is gonna help anyone but the rep you spoke with.

TechHead

ex-Mod
Mar 19, 2005
It should be around 60k. The US price is 1099$, before Dell's usual coupon lottery.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the HP ZR24i. This Dell is 16:9, wide colour gamut.. not enough vertical pixels for the size. The ZR24i is going to be 16:10, standard colour gamut, H-IPS, and according to scuttlebutt on the HardForums, around 425$. I can stomach that much for a good 24" monitor.