New Dslr : Canon, Sony, Olympus, Nikon?

aha_neo

Disciple
HI,
I am planning to buy a DSLR here in the US though I am also interested in buying a BRIDGE camera for their sheer usability factor like the OLYMPUS SP 570 UZ.

I am still stuck between quality (DSLR ) usablity (Bridge SP570UZ)

Some of the DSLR's I am looking at are
SONY A 330K
OLYMPUS 510, 520
CANON DIGITAL REBEL XS (The new one) .
NIKON D60

Also i would need a general purpose lens and a telephoto lens

Any suggestions?

go for the EOS 1000d or rebel XS as live view and accepts SD cards.i beleive the kits lens is 18-55mm and comes with IS.

aha_neo said:
HI,
I am planning to buy a DSLR here in the US though I am also interested in buying a BRIDGE camera for their sheer usability factor like the OLYMPUS SP 570 UZ.

I am still stuck between quality (DSLR ) usablity (Bridge SP570UZ)

Have you used the 570UZ? Its UI is so complicated and to use the cam is a PITA. You'll regret buying it man. FZ50 would be a better buy though its a little old. dSLR would be the best option though.

Another option is the FujiFilm S100fs. It is a bridge camera in the truest sense, but it more towards the SLR side than any other bridge camera ever !

It has a big 2/3 inch sensor, just half the size of the Oly SLR cams. It has an image stabilized 28-400mm lens that has manual zoom. It has a nice 2.5 inch tilt able screen to compose your snaps along with an electronic viewfinder. And to top it all it all, the lens is fast and starts at f2.8 which is great in low light. Also noise is well in control till ISO 800 which is very usable. ISO 1600 and beyond as not (You can use them on DSLRs though)

It is pricey at $675. But you don't have to spend on lenses at all and it is a highly capable camera.

Bridge cameras:
Panasonic FZ18 - 290$

DSLRs:
Sony A300 + 18-250 lens - 1100$
Sony A300 kit - 600$
Canon 1000D - 700$
Olympus E510 - 550$

The best out of the lot is the A300 + 18-250 lens which gives you all the functionality of a superzoom bridge - plus the speed, IQ and high ISO capability of a DSLR. :)

Payne

I don't think buying a bridge is a good choice.. the one size fits all thingy doesn't always work.. I'd suggest a Nikon D40 + a 55-200 lens should do the trick.. and won't cost you a bomb. Save on the camera, spend on the glass..

The best out of the lot is the A300 + 18-250 lens which gives you all the functionality of a superzoom bridge - plus the speed, IQ and high ISO capability of a DSLR.

I am sorry, but buying a superzoom lens defeats the purpose of buying a DSLR cam.

I would personally suggest you buying a Canon or Nikon DSLR cam. What about 450D? or D60? Both are very good cameras.

Abhi.

@cool_dude:

I am sorry, but if you are more into taking pictures and less into understanding lenses and seeking for supreme quality@100% pixel-peeping, then a DSLR+superzoom is a great way to enter hobbyist photography and learn the nuances. It gives you the reach/versatility of a bridge camera and the speed of a DSLR. Seriously, if you enjoy your photography and want to have FUN taking pictures the 18250 will not disappoint.

Where the superzoom 18-250 does fall short is in low-light situations (at 100mm+ its at f5.6-f6.3), but then so does a kitlens in those conditions. For this I'd suggest a f2.8 zoom or a prime (50mm or 30mm f1.4).

Yes, the 450D and D60 are good cameras, and so is an A300. Here's the lowdown:

1. 450D + Sigma 18-200 OS lens - $1250 ($750 + $500)
2. D60 + Nikkor 18-200 VR lens - $1280 ($630+$650)
3. A300 + Sony 18-250 lens - $1150 ($600+$550) (+ kitlens also)

The A300 gives you superfast Liveview, in-body IS and a lens which is higher rated than the Sigma for sure and definitely on-par or better than the Nikkor (check out the reviews online). It's the same as a Tamron 18-250 just so you know.

Am not suggesting any single brand here, but am not blindly gunning for the popular Canikon territory. :)
Payne

@Payne

How is this package

Model Number: DSLR-A300X

Sony α (alpha) DSLR-A300X + Two Zoom Lenses

Break into the world of DSLR photography with a great camera and two fine lenses. Sony introduces the α (alpha) DSLR-A300, conveniently bundled with a DT-18-70 standard zoom and 55-200mm telephoto lens.

See Details

Research and Learn

$799.99

Not really a great option. The kit lens on the Sony, while having a longer reach is a little soft at all focal lengths.

For a twin lens kit, I would suggest the Oly E510 with the twin lens kit. The Oly has Live view like the Sony (It has a mirror lock AF, which means a delay in shooting but provides you 100% coverage i.e. What you see is what you get.)

The Alfa uses a different type of Live view which results in zero delay in taking a shot, but provides only a 90% coverage. i.e you will have to guess a little. But since you want convenience it is not half bad and you will still get the speed of a DSLR.

But remember - The Oly sells for just $619 on Amazon and has a much sharper two lens kit than the Sony has.

Err you can get a 400D/1000D/450D and the 18-55 IS kit and buy the 55-250 IS for a lot cheaper than the sony. Just a single lens to swap and you get the same reach with far better IQ. Sorry but I don't buy the single lens argument Payne.

Plus the A300 still has the older Sony 10mp sensor which has worse noise than all its Canon competitors. Even the super old 8mp Rebel XT sensor is better than the ones on the A300/D60. Add to that the fact that the optical viewfinder on the A300 is worse than any other DSLR out there, its not my cup of tea.

I'd write off the D60 as well as it can't autofocus a majority of lenses. If you can afford it, get the D80. Otherwise the only ones remaining are the canon and olympus. Try using both in some camera shop and take your pick.

Remember, no other company makes great lenses like Canon. When I say great, I mean they are not only optically better, but also are available for every budget and for every type of photography. Remember, a DSLR cam is all about lenses. Lenses are your investment, a camera body may change but lenses always remain with you. And even Canon's competitors will agree that no other company has a lens lineup as impressive as Canon.

So, go for Canon, you won't regret it!

I would suggest spending less on the cam body and more on lenses!

Buy Canon 400d with 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS. That's a great combination. You can always buy the amazing 50mm 1.4 later on.

the 55-250mm IS costs only 12500 with 2year canon india warranty.so get the EOS 1000d or if u have the budget get the EOS 450d.

Just so that I can add to the confusion. You can even try out the Pentax K200D. It has just slightly worse noise performance than the Canons but has a far better feel and grip. (The Canon EOS Rebel series have notoriously bad grips and many people hate the cameras only because of that).

The Pentax has an in built CCD Shift IS which means IS works with every lens you add to it.

The Pentax kit lens is also comparatively good as kit lenses go. Just slap on the new Pentax 50-200 f4-5.8 for $175 and you are good to go. Total cost - $825 approx.

The best thing about Pentax is that they offer 100% compatibility with ALL their lenses they have ever made. Canon, Nikon or anybody cannot make that claim.

Later on you can add the very nice FA 50mm f1.4 lens for $199.

Don't get me wrong in thinking that Canon and Nikon are no good SLRs. Its just that their budget ones are flawed. The Rebel series (350D, 400D , 450D, 1000D) have a bad grip and not too much fun to use because of that.

The Nikon budget cameras - D40, D40x and D60 AF with ONLY AF-S and AF-I lenses. So most older lenses don't AF (including the brilliant 50mm f1.8).

And Sony as Chaos righly pointed out has a lot of noise at higher ISOs and tiny viewfinders. (But a fast live view system which IMHO is a deal maker since you are looking for P&S convenience.)

@adder - He is looking to buy from the US !

Yes you are right Pentax makes perfect entry level Dslr's. It has amazing ergonomics and K10D and 20D has weather seals and inbuilt shake reduction and works with older lenses. Pentax wantedly does not remove the noise inorder to preserve detail. Any day i will choose pentax for VFM

well guys here's a new deal that I have got .

I was able to find out a dealer who sells just the A300 Body (very hard to find).

So now the equation looks something like this.

A300 (499$)+ SAL 18-250mm lens (550$) = 1050

However what I have come to know by fellow A300 owners is that the 18-250 lens is not a good lowlight performer.

So i am looking at buying either one of these.

sony 50mm 1.5 =350$

Minolta 50mm 1.7f =around 150$

I will use one of those for party/indoor shots.

Well correct me if I am wrong the SONY looks more VFM for me right now than a XSi also i need the ability of a P&S .

What say guys?

^^ Well if you can afford an XSi with a Tamaron 18-250 lens, it will also be a good bet since the Canon will have Live view as well. (Albeit not nearly as fast as Sony's implementation)

But since you are looking for P & S convinence with DSLR speed, the Sony is a good bet. (Since you are getting it body only).

And contrary to what people say, the Sony 18-250mm lens is a fantastic lens considering its zoom range.

Here you can read a few reviews -

Sony AF DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Reviews at Dyxum.com

Sony 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 Review - AlphaMountWorld.com

About the low light lens, sharpness wise there isn't a great big a deal of difference if you are shooting at clubs and parties.

However the Sony lens has a far better bokeh than the Minolta. But for your requirements, the Minolta makes sense.

Here is a review -

50mm f1.4 or 1.7? - Photo.net Sony/Minolta SLR System Forum

Another option is the Sigma 28mm f1.8 which goes for about $265. Optically it is a good lens with minimal distortions and vignetting. And it is sharper than the Minolta I believe.

Thanks everyone for the inputs,
I finally got the Sony A 300 and have ordered the MINOLTA 50mm 1.7 and the Minolta 70-200 mm f4 "BEERCAN" .

Next on buying list is the SAL 18-250mm.

Back