Less than 10K New entry-level phone or old gen flagship model

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
This is more of a query. And budget is not specifically 5-10k but the best bang for buck aka reasonable pricing.

With the launch of new entry level smart phones with mid-tier specifications of previous gen does it still make sense to buy a (used) flagship phone of old gen models now or should i go for one of these new entry-level phones which come with great specs on paper? Redmi 3/Moto E3/Swipe Plus something etc etc.
With new and more powerful specifications of the entry-level tier coming I was awaiting for a price drop on older models but so far there hasn't been any. Redmi 2 Prime is still going for 6k. Moto E 2nd Gen 4G which I've been waiting for a long time seems to have been discontinued (leaving me with two useless imported covers :/ ). I'm not simply after "new" models but would like a tried and tested model (like the Redmi 2 Prime/Moto E).
However these new models come with their own caveats for me. Sizes such as 5.5" which is too large, single sim or dual sim for which one takes up the memory card slot (Redmi Note 3, 1+X), fixed non-expandable storage, poor design or build quality and so on. I'm not trying to be picky but these phones are rather disappointing. Just how great is your operator that you need only one sim? or how large your hands are that you can use 5.5" phones without any problem?

My sort of ideal phone is:
Size of 4.7"-5" display, dedicated dual-sim, 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage with expandable memory, backlit keys, stock android and very good battery life. I don't know about the Redmi 2 Prime but the Moto E2 battery life is amazing. I charge only once a day though charging time is horrible ~4-5hrs.

I personally cannot do without dual-sim and external memory card storage but if older flagship models with only single sim slot and limited storage are worth the purchase I can consider buying one but only if the given flagships really are genuinely good.
I would've bought the Redmi 2 Prime if its price fell to 4k. Then there is the Moto G3 2GB RAM at 10 (I would ideally pay 8k), Moto X Play for which I might do 13-14k. New imported LG G2 is going for 8k only.[DOUBLEPOST=1465472182][/DOUBLEPOST]TL;DR: Need a new reliable phone with good specifications for primary usage but I don't like the new models and older models haven't seen a significant price-fall. Meanwhile flagships are out of budget's reach. In a dilemma.
I haven't owned any good phone since my Nokia N79 which I bought in 2010.[DOUBLEPOST=1465472414][/DOUBLEPOST]I could also buy a good one and pay in EMI but online site policies are rather strict.

Last edited:
This is more of a query. And budget is not specifically 5-10k but the best bang for buck aka reasonable pricing.

With the launch of new entry level smart phones with mid-tier specifications of previous gen does it still make sense to buy a (used) flagship phone of old gen models now or should i go for one of these new entry-level phones which come with great specs on paper? Redmi 3/Moto E3/Swipe Plus something etc etc.
With new and more powerful specifications of the entry-level tier coming I was awaiting for a price drop on older models but so far there hasn't been any. Redmi 2 Prime is still going for 6k. Moto E 2nd Gen 4G which I've been waiting for a long time seems to have been discontinued (leaving me with two useless imported covers :/ ). I'm not simply after "new" models but would like a tried and tested model (like the Redmi 2 Prime/Moto E).
However these new models come with their own caveats for me. Sizes such as 5.5" which is too large, single sim or dual sim for which one takes up the memory card slot (Redmi Note 3, 1+X), fixed non-expandable storage, poor design or build quality and so on. I'm not trying to be picky but these phones are rather disappointing. Just how great is your operator that you need only one sim? or how large your hands are that you can use 5.5" phones without any problem?

My sort of ideal phone is:
Size of 4.7"-5" display, dedicated dual-sim, 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage with expandable memory, backlit keys, stock android and very good battery life. I don't know about the Redmi 2 Prime but the Moto E2 battery life is amazing. I charge only once a day though charging time is horrible ~4-5hrs.

I personally cannot do without dual-sim and external memory card storage but if older flagship models with only single sim slot and limited storage are worth the purchase I can consider buying one but only if the given flagships really are genuinely good.
I would've bought the Redmi 2 Prime if its price fell to 4k. Then there is the Moto G3 2GB RAM at 10 (I would ideally pay 8k), Moto X Play for which I might do 13-14k. New imported LG G2 is going for 8k only.[DOUBLEPOST=1465472182][/DOUBLEPOST]TL;DR: Need a new reliable phone with good specifications for primary usage but I don't like the new models and older models haven't seen a significant price-fall. Meanwhile flagships are out of budget's reach. In a dilemma.
I haven't owned any good phone since my Nokia N79 which I bought in 2010.[DOUBLEPOST=1465472414][/DOUBLEPOST]I could also buy a good one and pay in EMI but online site policies are rather strict.
Sony xperia z3 compact fits your needs perfectly ; want to spend more buy Z5 compact though the incremental value for extra money is doubtful.
Morever Sony doesn't enjoy a desirable brand value currently.

I'd prefer a last Gen flagship over current gen midranger or entry level phone if the price difference isn't more than 25%. If you are OK with used (well maintained) phones, buying a last gen flagship makes much more sense.

Also does MediaTek vs Qualcomm vs Intel really make a difference?
In general the price difference between these is considerable.
Qualcomm all the way for me. Unless Mediatek Helio X20 is as good as they claim and at lower price. I would also honestly prefer a fast quad core over a slower multi-core though I like the BIG.little architecture. And I've also used an old Xolo phone with Intel Atom a few years ago. Phone sucked. Not sure if it was the phone itself or the CPU. Aftersales service also sucked.

Sony xperia z3 compact fits your needs perfectly ;
Indeed it does. In fact it was my first choice. I even created a thread for it but availability is the problem. I might be able to pay around 16-17k max for a new one. Not sure if I can trust used ones.
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/sony-z3-compact-smartphone-price-query.179094/

want to spend more buy Z5 compact though the incremental value for extra money is doubtful.
Morever Sony doesn't enjoy a desirable brand value currently.

I'd prefer a last Gen flagship over current gen midranger or entry level phone if the price difference isn't more than 25%. If you are OK with used (well maintained) phones, buying a last gen flagship makes much more sense.
Sony's new phones are not even interesting tbh.
Another potential candidate is the Xperia M4 Aqua dual.
Now I'm thinking of these:
1.Wait for Redmi 2 Prime at 4k after cash-back offer. or used Moto E 4G in mint condition (if I can find it that is).
2. Moto G3 2GB RAM.
3. New imported LG G2 at 8k or maybe other better phone. There is also the LG G3/G4 but out of budget.

Personally, I would buy an older gen flagship. Doing the same for my brother and getting him a used pristine Sprint LG G4 for 15-16k, instead of a Redmi Note 3 or Moto G4 plus.
In your budget LG G2 is definitely a winner. You can also look at HTC One MAX or HTC M8. Both were outstanding flagship devices.

I would suggest you try the Swipe Elite Plus purely for its excellent pricing and the outstanding camera for the price. Plus I feel it isn't worth spending more than 10k on a phone considering that there are new models with updated specs surfacing every month.

Appreciate all the replies guys.

I would suggest you try the Swipe Elite Plus purely for its excellent pricing and the outstanding camera for the price.
Yeah the phone sounds really interesting on paper. But there hasn't been any proper review backing up their claims. Also according to Gogi the Swipe Elite Plus is apparently a rebrand of one Pride T500L which he had already reviewed. Waiting for other reviews.

Last edited:
Personally, I would buy an older gen flagship. Doing the same for my brother and getting him a used pristine Sprint LG G4 for 15-16k
Imported or from forum market?
In your budget LG G2 is definitely a winner.
I know that I said I liked the G2 but let's look at the options. New Moto G3 can be had for 9k. The LG G2 costs 8k. G2 here is not such a good choice IMO. But if it costs (even I'm lowballing hard) say, 6k, then I would surely buy it eyes-closed but a new one will never be available at that price. Since it costs only 8k in India do you think one can get it a much lower price in the U.S. and if yes where? There's also something which I'm worried about: what are the chance of getting a refurb? If it was a direct import sealed then I would've believed it but it's not. Quite a handful of refurbs have been passed as new and sold online.
You can also look at HTC One MAX or HTC M8. Both were outstanding flagship devices.
You can get HTC M8 at a very good price and it is surely a winner.
HTC M8 the one which was listed on olx for 13-14k? Don't you think that it would be better to get the G3 for 3-4k less with full warranty? What is the best price for the M8 online right now?

Last edited:
Back