New fone frm Dubai-budget 30k...plz help urgent

mohitd

Disciple
Dad n probably me too goin :D Dubai n Abu dhabi dis 19th....if ny1 has idea where to get it from there cheap pls help me with d shops,malls,etc???

1. Q: Budget?

A: 30k[ little up/down will do ]

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: bar flip

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A:

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: No samsung except galaxy nexus if it launches till den.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Decent camera for occasional use

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: iOS,WP,Android,BB

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: Nuthin as such

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Chatting messaging browsing and occasionally watchin movies while travelling.

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: must b gud lookin n shud hav a decent battery life which is atleast a full day use on a single charge.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: iphone 4s(keen on iOS or BB torch 9860)

Also have a query guys...i really like windows phone but i think its necessary to use Zune to transfer files n also no Bluetooth file transfer..is it so???....n if derz any way to use a windows phone without Zune..i mean like usb mass storage n Bluetooth file transfer i would like to buy that.

Also would galaxy nexus launch by then...dad is der in dubai till 24th>??????

Pls help

Thanks in Advance

Mohit :)

You gotta search a lot. I got an xperia arc from carrefour for 32k, same as Indian price. I got it a little earlier than the Indian release which in a vague way was the only advantage. Search all the big malls out there. The smaller ones have the cheapest prices, the cubicle sized one (don't worry have an iphone from one such shop with apple warranty) but they are fast vanishing.

I went to Dubai around 11 months ago and this is what i found:

1. In big stores (like Jumbo, Jacky's, Sharaf DG, Fono etc...), there is hardly any price difference between India and Dubai. Some phones even cost more than in India. I did not ask about international warranty because there is no question of buying a phone which costs the same here.

2. In smaller shops (like in Meena Bazaar), mobiles are significantly cheaper. But, there is absolutely NO INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY. I asked in many shops, all said this. So, if some small shopkeeper tells you that the phone has international warranty, he is lying (except when it is an iPhone of course!).

So, the moral of the story:

1. If you are lured by low prices in smaller shops, you can take a risk if you want by getting without warranty, or get it if you have some relative/friend who regularly visits Dubai.

2. If you are buying, then buy from smaller shops. Go to Meena Bazaar and see in various shops there to get an idea of the prices and bargain hard.

3. Buying an iPhone or iPod makes a lot of sense, because it is much cheaper than in India (if you go to the right place) and has 1 year international warranty.

^Well that's true. I got an ipod, iphone, xperia arc, Nokia C7, Nokia N85, My PS3, My PS2, My Hi-Fi system, HP laptop, hmm..another Dell laptop, camera, another camera, video camera, another video camera (Ok I am tired, also list is maybe complete :D ) (all over a span of 4years, I am no smuggler :D )

Luckily all of them still work. I only had problems with the Sony Hi-Fi system but it was due to faulty wiring and they charged some 1000 bucks for repairing it (short circuited :( )

If you have someone there then it is a safe choice to get it from there as it you can always return it in case of a problem. Getting it for cheaper and losing your warranty is the only trade off.

Why don't you wait for the Dubai Shopping festival? The prices are too awesome in that season.

^ Yes, the shopping festival is the best time to buy stuff in Dubai, but it usually goes on between ~20th January and ~20th February. If the OP or his relative is visiting Dubai at that time, it is better to buy then, else any other time of the year will do.

All gadgets like laptop, iPod, camera etc... have international warranty, except mobiles.

But i doubt if you will get the iPhone 4S for below 35-40k even there (due to weak Rupee). Your dad returns home just 1 day before it launches in India :( .

Whats the difference in the cost of ipad ?

Was thinking of buying an ipad2 through mohit

Ipad 2 16gb wifi costs here 29500 - how much will it cost from dubai including everything i.e tax,custom duty etc ?

swastikrj said:
Whats the difference in the cost of ipad ?

Was thinking of buying an ipad2 through mohit

Ipad 2 16gb wifi costs here 29500 - how much will it cost from dubai including everything i.e tax,custom duty etc ?

The iPad 2 should cost around 26-27.5k in Dubai at the moment (after conversion). You will not lose out on anything (warranty etc...) wherever you buy it from in the world. So, you should save around 2-3k if you can get it from Dubai.

If the total cost if purchased stuff comes to within the allowed free limited (it is around 15-25k per person i think), then there should be no customs issues. We bought a laptop(~37k), a camera(~5k), and an iPod touch (~10k) and put the first in hand baggage and other 2 in luggage. No questions asked, just got through.

rhlravi said:
The iPad 2 should cost around 26-27.5k in Dubai at the moment (after conversion). You will not lose out on anything (warranty etc...) wherever you buy it from in the world. So, you should save around 2-3k if you can get it from Dubai.

If the total cost if purchased stuff comes to within the allowed free limited (it is around 15-25k per person i think), then there should be no customs issues. We bought a laptop(~37k), a camera(~5k), and an iPod touch (~10k) and put the first in hand baggage and other 2 in luggage. No questions asked, just got through.

thanks for the say but i got one more query - ipad 2 costs 499$ on apple.com so if i buy through a relative in US will i get it for 23500 [ 500$ x 47rs] ?

yepp, but do note in case you pay via indian cc n get it shipped to him, it will end up costing more as banks typically charge a 3-4% conversion fees for international transaction.

but if you can get your relative to buy it it will be better.

Back