New gaming rig...budget 35k-40k...please suggest...

gamebore

Disciple
Hi guys. Planning on buying a rig. Would appreciate your suggestions and opinions -----
  • Q: What is your budget?
    • 35k - 40K
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None. Building a new pc from scratch.
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz (any other suggestion?) / or AMD- which one is better??
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • RAM- 4 GB?
    • GPU - please suggest. Is 1 GB graphics card enough for games till let's say a couple of years?Basically, I don't have much knowledge about the technical setups, combos of motherboard & processors, graphics card, etc. Kindly suggest the best possible rig for budget b/w 35k to 40k.
  • Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • This will be my configuration for atleast a couple of years. I will change/upgrade the components as per requirement at that time.
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi.
    • Open to online purchase. Actually I would prefer online if better rates can be offered. Please suggest the best e-commerce websites for the same.
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Again, an ameture in this regard. Your inputs will be highly appreciated.
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Action - COD, GTA, Far Cry, Assassin Creed, Max Payne, etc.
    • Racing - NFS, etc.
    • Flight Sims - IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover, Flight Sim X (not sure if my budget will allow to play this game in it's full glory), etc.
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Again, completely clueless. I would like to know if i have options to view Full HD content in my budget.
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Don't know how to do it. Never tried my hands at it. But if it is doable while following a set of instructions, i might think. Please suggest.
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 - Which will be better--->> 32 bit OR 64 bit?

i5 2320-9500/-

Intel DH67BL-B3~5400/-

Corsair Xms3 2X2GB-1500/- OR Gskill ripjawsX 2X2GB-1600/-

Segate 500gb 7200RPM HDD-4000/-

Sapphire HD6850-9500/-[For full hd gaming,you'd have to tone down the setting @medium or high to play the latest games]

Dell ST2220L-8500/-[Full hd monitor as you've asked]

Seasonic s12ii 520W-3700/-

Nzxt Gamma ~2600/-

Combo Logitech K200-700/-

You'll get a full hd monitor as well as good enough gpu,if you want to play the games at highest settings then you'd have compromise the cpu to i3 2100-6200+Nvidia Gtx560ti-14,500 or Amd HD6950+Seasonic s12ii 620W-4600/-

Hope this helps.
happy19.gif

Hi

If u want a decent gaming rig with i5 processor means you have to stretch ur budget to 50K. otherwise get all the spec what jakob recommended and wait for the GPU for some times and get the latest one, there might be price drop in GPUs.

Hi guys.

I have upped the budget to 60k.

Can you please suggest a good gaming rig for this price range?

I have been reading online regarding overclocking. Still a newbie but what i did figure out is that the best processor to OC in decent budget would be i5 2500k. A bit old but beats the new ivy bridge processors in OC'ing. I might be wrong, please pour your suggestions. I have also read that the stock i5 2500k @ 3.3 GHz can be OC'ed to 4.4-4.6 GHz easily. Please suggest.

Also, which z77 motherboard would go best with it?

I have my heart set on HD 7850 2 GB graphics card. But the same is available with different brands, viz a viz, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. Which one would be the best one?

Please also suggest the rest of the rig based on above config. I assume since i will be OC'ing, i may require a bigger fan to dispose off the extra heat? Please suggest.

I already have a UPS and Creative 2.1 speakers, so not required to add that in the budget.

Please suggest the links to online stores OR shops in Delhi where i can get the items at best possible rates. I am ok with either method of purchase.

Thanks.

@gamebore in Delhi, best is you visit SMC International OR Computer Empire and get your components; can you assemble the system your self OR will you buy it fully assembled from the shop?

This is the configuration I suggest --

Intel Core i5 2500k ~13500/- + Thermalright Silver Arrow ~3900/- http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4029&category_id=163&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ~10500/- http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4754&category_id=168&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
G.Skill RIPJAWS OR Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 ~3700/-
AMD HD 7850 2GB ~15500/-
Corsair Carbide 400R ~4900/-
Samsung [OEM] / HP [boxed] optical drive ~1000/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~5000/-
Corsair TX V2650W ~5600/-
Dell ST2220L ~8500/-
LOGITECH G400 ~1500/-
LOGITECH K200 keyboard ~450/-

Which UPS do you have?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

What is the difference between Corsair TX V2650W & Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler | Cooler | Flipkart.com
Or do i need both for cooling the cpu?

Also, what is the difference between the Extreme 4 & Extreme 6 motherboards? Is it worth paying extra 3 grands for the Extreme 6?

I am no expert on assembling so probably i will get it done from the shop itself.

Regarding the UPS, i can confirm by late evening.

Also, any suggestions from the NZXT cabinets? They're kinda cool to look at, though no point in buying if it doesn't serve the purpose of dissipating heat properly and well managed cables and other ports.

What is the difference between Corsair TX V2650W & Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler | Cooler | Flipkart.com
Or do i need both for cooling the cpu?

Also, what is the difference between the Extreme 4 & Extreme 6 motherboards? Is it worth paying extra 3 grands for the Extreme 6?

Also, any suggestions from the NZXT cabinets? They're kinda cool to look at, though no point in buying if it doesn't serve the purpose of dissipating heat properly and well managed cables and other ports.

The difference is that the Corsair TX V2650W is a SMPS [OR PSU however you refer to it as] that you need to power the components of the PC and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a CPU-cooler.

If you want to over-clock heavily then you will need something like the Silver Arrow OR a cooler of similar calibre especially considering how hot Delhi is currently. This is a must for keeping your PC cool whilst the Corsair TX V2650W is needed to power any of your components.

The Extreme6 is the flagship motherboard of the Extreme series by ASRock, the stock performance of the two Z77 chipset based components will be same in over-clocking the Extreme6 might be better than the Extreme4. But here is a overall review of both these motherboards from Anandtech, you can read this article and make up your mind --> another article.

NZXT cabinets are not available anywhere in the NCR region and shipping such heavy and expensive components is a risky proposition.

Ok. . . my bad. What i should have asked is if an additional CPU cooler is also required in case i am overclocking?
@SinChan the NZXT tempest 410 elite you mentioned looks almost exactly like the corsair 400R. :unsure:

Ok. . . my bad. What i should have asked is if an additional CPU cooler is also required in case i am overclocking?

A better option at that price point from NZXT is the NZXT Tempest EVO ~6000/-. A much larger cabinet with a well proven airflow setup and most importantly comes with 6 fans pre-installed [2 x140mm intakes, 1 x120mm intake and 3 x120mm exhaust].

But as I said shipping such components is dangerous as they can get damaged and its your loss.

So on the whole I think it is best you source the Corsair Carbide 400R locally. It will be in front of you, no issues of sending for it [from Bombay] and then seeing that it has arrived damaged means you will have to spend more to replace it.

Also, you said that you will have it assembled at the shop you cannot do that with the NZXT cabinet.

No you will need to replace this with a APC BR800VA-IN at-least.

I am unable to find the above model on any online store. Any alternative model for ups other than what you mentioned above?

Also, appx. idea of the cost?

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Intel Core i5 2500k ~13500/- + Thermalright Silver Arrow ~3900/- Thermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler

AMD HD 7850 2GB ~15500/-

with regards to silver arrow, how is this option for cooling? It is cheaper and only one fan, but are dual coolers really required?

with regards to AMD HD 7850 2 GB, i could find the following 2 brands online: 1 & 2 . One is at 870 MHz clock speed and other at 975 MHz. The former one is costlier than latter. I completely fail to understand. Am i missing something here? And which among the two would you suggest? Or any other option is also available?

Thanks.

I am unable to find the above model on any online store. Any alternative model for ups other than what you mentioned above?

Also, appx. idea of the cost?

with regards to silver arrow, how is this option for cooling? It is cheaper and only one fan, but are dual coolers really required?

with regards to AMD HD 7850 2 GB, i could find the following 2 brands online: 1 & 2 . One is at 870 MHz clock speed and other at 975 MHz. The former one is costlier than latter. I completely fail to understand. Am i missing something here? And which among the two would you suggest? Or any other option is also available?

Call up APC India they will direct you to the closest affiliated reseller for their products in Nehru Place.

I think it is ~3600/- OR so for this particular model but prices have been adversely affected thanks to the see-saw in $: Rupee ratio.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a decent option, not great; everything is dependent on how much you want to over-clock. If you want to cross 4GHz and maintain decent temperatures the Cooler Master will not be able to cope. The Thermalright comes with two 140mm fans out of the box so it is actually a pretty good buy for ~4000/-. PM @chiragsthakut he can help you get slightly better pricing from Prime ABGB.

As for the HD 7850 get that from SMC International, they have a deal thread here. Go for the Sapphire card as GIGABYTE and ASUS are more expensive as well have a more noisy fan set-up.

Hope this answers your queries, Cheerio!!

@ALPHA17 thanks mate, you've been real helpful here.

I think it is ~3600/- OR so for this particular model but prices have been adversely affected thanks to the see-saw in $: Rupee ratio.

I'm sure the rupee dollar see-saw has an affect on other computer components as well.

While nobody can predict the future, but would it be better to wait for a while, say a month or so, for the prices of the components to come down a bit Or would it make not much of a difference. I mean, i can wait about a month or so, no big hurry. Any thoughts?

While nobody can predict the future, but would it be better to wait for a while, say a month or so, for the prices of the components to come down a bit Or would it make not much of a difference. I mean, i can wait about a month or so, no big hurry. Any thoughts?

WWaiting might be a prudent move considering Ivy-Bridge components might be available at better rates and even if they stay out of reach, the current components price will come down for sure.

If op is going for Thermalright Silver Arrow then it's better to avoid Corsair Vengeance as their big heat spreaders will give lot of spacing problems in between.

Can you suggest another combo for the same?

Go for the G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz modules instead.

But before purchasing anything go to the shop and just inquire if the fan(s) of the Silver Arrow can be adjusted to compensate for tall heat-spreaders, because this can be done on all Noctua coolers [I have the NH-U12P SE2]. The only issue is these are more expensive and you get a more powerful cooler for cheap with the Thermalright.

Noctua's dual fan monster, the NH-D14 will set you back by ~5400/- that is why I did not recommend it to you, it runs a lot quieter and its fan can be adjusted for tall heat-spreaders.

Hi. Can anyone suggest a great configuration without overclocking?

With the overclocking, the budget is increasing tremendously. I am trying to work within my restricted budget of 50k-55k, and trying to have a setup which can last me another 1.5-2 years.

I was looking forward to overclocking, but my budget will not permit me to do so.

Please suggest. Also, have the prices of computer components come down owing to dollar/Rs. fluctuation?

Thanks.

Back