Budget 41-50k New generation processors make sense?

icysmoke

Disciple
If I go for a 5600g with a am4 wifi motherboard, i can keep my build within 45k.

But if I try to go for Intel 12/13 gen i5, or amd 7000 series, the motherboards are damn expensive. The buid will easily go up by min 30k. Does it really make sense to spend extra 30k odd for the latest generation.

The usage is just coding, Excel and teaching my kid about raspberry Pi etc. Nothing to do with video editing or gaming or even movies.

I can spend the extra 30k, but it needs to make sense. I don't simply want to throw money away for hardly any gains for my usage.

Ideally i would have wanted to go for the latest ddr5 etc so that it does get outdated soon. But do you think the massive delta between generations makes it logical to go for the latest gen.

I want the build to have 32gb ram and 1 tb ssd. As coding needs a larger ram at times. Will probably run Linux only.

No it does not make sense for your use case. Better to divert money where it is required, like you said, you require more RAM for app compilation - divert the extra money there. Do not worry about DDR4, it will easily be available for next 3 years atleast. I mean look at DDR3, you can still get DDR3 RAM at decent price.

Current gen PCs are way more powerful than the average user needs. 5600g will easily give you 7-8 years of comfortable use. Even gamers are still buying 5600G in droves.

So for your usecase, it is definitely better to go for last gen chips as they have reached pricing equilibrium and you're not paying any early adoption tax.

However, you can totally build a Intel 12th gen based machine within your budget. Look at this build for 40k

If you are not adding a graphics card, I would recommend going with 5600G since that has much better iGPU. But for all other purposes, 12th gen i3 is good enough as it is a quad core processor, sufficient for day to day use. And even with i5 12400, it's still within your budget.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Seems like it's a unanimous vote for the 5600g.
5600g will easily give you 7-8 years of comfortable use.
If you are not adding a graphics card, I would recommend going with 5600G since that has much better iGPU. But for all other purposes, 12th gen i3 is good enough as it is a quad core processor, sufficient for day to day use. And even with i5 12400, it's still within your budget.
Yes. Don't plan to add a graphics card. So don't need the Intel ones. If it lasts 4-5 years. That's good enough. Can't ask for much more.

Thanks for sharing this build. I will go ahead with this one. Just one question, since my usage will not cause a lot of heating, will it be okay if I go for a small cabinet. If yes, what should I search for...micro ATX cabinet?

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Seems like it's a unanimous vote for the 5600g.

Yes. Don't plan to add a graphics card. So don't need the Intel ones. If it lasts 4-5 years. That's good enough. Can't ask for much more.

Thanks for sharing this build. I will go ahead with this one. Just one question, since my usage will not cause a lot of heating, will it be okay if I go for a small cabinet. If yes, what should I search for...micro ATX cabinet?
Ah, I missed a cabinet there. Check out Deepcool Mattrexx 40 3FS. It has 3 fans pre-installed, is a relatively compact cabinet. costs 3.6k or so. It is a micro ATX case, so get mobo like B550M, instead of B550 which is ATX.

The iTX cabinets are even smaller, but non-standard iTX mobo & PSUs are expensive, so will likely push up the cost.

Stock cooler should be fine for 5600G on Mattrexx 40 mesh.

That motherboard is a little overkill for your needs. You can consider even a cheap B450, which will run the 5600G just fine.
Consider this- https://pcpricetracker.in/out/542f4ad5cf0d46f34fcf4a34b00a0aed/1
This one doesnt have extra RAM slots or SSD slots for further expansion, but is 3k cheaper with Wifi+BT. It's plenty enough for your case, barring the upgradeability.
The Gigabyte B550 DS3H is also fine for 8.9k. B550 DS3H
For the case, airflow is not a priority here. Ant Esports 1000 Elite for 2.3k will suffice. Case

Just one question, since my usage will not cause a lot of heating, will it be okay if I go for a small cabinet.
Temps are not a concern if you have decent airflow. I have Deepcool Matrexx 30SI, one of the smallest cabinets for M-ATX boards. I also have an RTX 3060 inside it. I can easily keep the whole thing below 85 degrees and most of the time, it runs closer to 70. All I have are two intakes in the front and one exhaust at the back, along with Deepcool Gamaxx 400 CPU cooler.

I do not recommend this cabinet though, it's not very good. Matrexx 40 is decent. You can also look at MSI Mag forge M100A, Silverstone PS15, Silverstone Fara H1M, and Zebronics Woodan.

Whichever case you buy, if it doesn't come with fans, get a set of 3 (Ant ones will cost 1000 for 3), put 2 in front or side and one at back or top. More than the temps, it will keep the inside of the case relatively clean by accumulating all the dust near the intake fans.

Don't upgrade at all if nothing is bottlenecking your current usage. I was in the same dilemma, but I went with AM5 because I was upgrading after 9 years and did not feel like buying ddr4 (emotional purchase). DDR4 is great value right now. Many will upgrade to AM5, grab a good used deal here :)

Last edited:
Thanks you for the detailed suggestions. Today I ordered a 5600g from fk for just Rs 12200. Got a good deal on the ICICI card. Mentioning the price here since someone else who reads this may also be interested .

Will gradually collect more stuff as my current usage is being well served by a 5500u laptop. Will look around for deals both here and on fk, Amazon. Mostly the build will cost sub 40k. Already have a monitor. hopefully will have a build in the next month or two.

Thanks you for the detailed suggestions. Today I ordered a 5600g from fk for just Rs 12200. Got a good deal on the ICICI card. Mentioning the price here since someone else who reads this may also be interested .

Will gradually collect more stuff as my current usage is being well served by a 5500u laptop. Will look around for deals both here and on fk, Amazon. Mostly the build will cost sub 40k. Already have a monitor. hopefully will have a build in the next month or two.
I won't recommend building PC over 2 months, buy everything, assemble it & test it before the return window closes.

I was in the same boat as you were, all my old systems were at least i5, but this time around, I got an i3 (12th Gen) and everything that I do, including the occasional gaming is going without a glitch. And my i5s (6th gen to 8th gen) and my AMD Athlon (14 years old) are doing swimming business. So the current set up should last you a long while.

Investment more on a Good motherboard (slots for future proofing - a coupleof my old mobos do not have nvme slots) and RAM.

That should hold you im good stead. And DDR4 is going to last at least 5 to 7 years is my guess. 3 years is what it will take for DDR5 to become widely adopted.

And with PC sales being what they are, don't worry about spares. And you always have TE!

Back