Laptops New MacBook Pro or Dell XPS 1530?

Unless you plan to use OS X, I think it may not be a good idea to buy a Mac just for the looks. Lenovo has come out with some new good looking laptops. Maybe you can take a look at them if looks is a priority.

It would be better if someone who uses Bootcamp on the Mac regularly comments.

sydras said:
Unless you plan to use OS X, I think it may not be a good idea to buy a Mac just for the looks. Lenovo has come out with some new good looking laptops. Maybe you can take a look at them if looks is a priority.

It would be better if someone who uses Bootcamp on the Mac regularly comments.

errrr...his point was on a good graphics card too :) Dont think the lenovo range has anything for that crowd.

@OP:

1. As such boot camp wont have any compatibility problems.

2. For gaming, dont compare the 9600 with the lowly 8600 on the XP 1530. :p

3. As stated above, one option is the HP dv5 model with 9600 for ~60k, with blu-ray for ~70k

4. Of course, you need to add the Style/flaunt value of the new aluminum Macbooks too :)

5. If your willing to spend 1L or more, also check out the XPS 17"incher. It has 8800 SLI I believe :) Dell XPS M1730 Laptop Details

EDIT: Just checked, forgot the XPS :p Its just a useless money sinkhole. Get the macbook if u got 1L to spend :)

Waoh.. Some pretty good comments here. Thank you every one. One out of the topic question, any member here has the new MBP? Man, i am soo damn confused actually. Now even the HP i got to consider. LOL. But plz let me know if any one already has the new MBP.

techie_007 said:
errrr...his point was on a good graphics card too :) Dont think the lenovo range has anything for that crowd.

Oops..did not read the first post properly :ashamed: .

Anyway, a Mac for gaming via Bootcamp?? Is that a good idea? I mean, are you sure that games would run properly? As far as I understand, Bootcamp is a kind of emulation interface to run XP on a Mac. I'm concerned about whether games would run smoothly on a Mac when the OS stability might be a question in itself.

sydras said:
Oops..did not read the first post properly :ashamed: .

Anyway, a Mac for gaming via Bootcamp?? Is that a good idea? I mean, are you sure that games would run properly? As far as I understand, Bootcamp is a kind of emulation interface to run XP on a Mac. I'm concerned about whether games would run smoothly on a Mac when the OS stability might be a question in itself.

correction plz: Boot camp is NOT an emulator. You are confusing with vmware fusion / parallels workstation.

As per some tests, vista on boot camp is actually faster than a similar specced normal notebook :p Yaya, take it with a pinch of salt. but point is, it runs windows as well as any other laptop out there. After all, its actually just an intel x86 proc n normal known NVIDIA graphics :) Nothin fancy in internal hardware anymore man :)

+ the 96000 graphics card to boot. Finally an Apple notebook with reasonably powerful graphics to play windows games... :)

EDIT 1:

Boot Camp is a utility included with Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" operating system that assists users in installing Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Vista on Intel-based Macintosh computers. Boot Camp guides users through non-destructive re-partitioning (including resizing of an existing HFS+ partition, if necessary) of their hard disk drive and using the Mac OS X Leopard disc to install Windows drivers. In addition to device drivers for the hardware, the disc includes an applet for the Windows control panel for selecting the boot operating system.

It just helps you install windows. Like I said earlier, its NOT an emulator. The OS here directly talks to the hardware unlike vmware etc which are slower as a result.

EDIT 2:

Please read this article complete to know more about boot-camp and how its used: Boot Camp Turns Your Mac Into a Reliable Windows PC | Walt Mossberg | Personal Technology | AllThingsD

Don't get me wrong here but I can't make out out why anyone's suggesting the Mac at a higher price point then a similarly specced cheaper HP? I mean if some one is used to the Mac OS, then maybe he might find the difference reasonable... For a Windows user to spend so much (the premium is only for the Apple brand and OS, right?) and then use Windows mostly sounds unreal to me.

But it's your call. If u have taken a fancy to the MBP and have the moolah to spare, go for it. It does look cool and distinctive :)

@mod to odd

if you have the budget to spend, then go for the latest MBP..

once you start using the leopard interface, you will never go back to windows (at least everyday browsing, office files, music, movies..) The Spaces and Expose' features on the Leopard are incredibly cool and very useful.. you've gotta try it to believe it (makes vista look ancient)..

albeit, for hardcore gaming and gfx intensive apps you will have to depend on windows.. and suing windows on MAC OS is a breeze via bootcamp.. it works seamlessly..

more than anything, the MBP offers an "ooomph" factor, a style statement which is unmatched by hp or any other brand for that matter.. its a definite head-turner..

the screen is about the best I have seen in lappys.. the LED backlit display is brilliant really.. the backlit keyboard is a treat.. and so are the myriad of nifty little innovations that will leave you in awe of the MBP and Apple.. :)

I've had my MBP for a year now, and i'm still just as much in love with it as when i got it..trust me on this one (and all others who have voted for the MBP), and go for the MBP, if you have the budget :)

Apple Apple Apple. :) You can load windows OS in Apple.:eek:hyeah: Go for Apple buddie. One good investment which would not give you any trouble.:hap2:

Anish said:
I've heard some horrid stories about HP and would suggest you pick the MBP or customised XPS.

If you can live with a 13.3", the new Macbook also is fantastic value for money!

Hell Fukkin yeah!

Darthcoder said:
Can I play games on bootcomp on a MB/MBP??
Will the games perform atleast 80% of their windows performance?

They surely will.:)

Boot Camp enables native installation of windows, so its just like using a regular windows PC with Boot Camp.

Thank you all soo much and Guptaji for his very convincing and beautiful short review. Well, hp is out of the picture and so is Dell. I some how came across this review.

Techtree.com India > Reviews > Mobile Computing > Notebooks > MSI GX620

"The MSI GX620 sells for Rs. 65,000 with a 1-year warranty excluding taxes. The laptop is priced well and should be available for under 70K with taxes"

Now the question is, where can i find one in India? or will i have to import it? But i am definitely considering the MBP also.

mod_to_odd said:
Thank you all soo much and Guptaji for his very convincing and beautiful short review. Well, hp is out of the picture and so is Dell. I some how came across this review.

Techtree.com India > Reviews > Mobile Computing > Notebooks > MSI GX620

"The MSI GX620 sells for Rs. 65,000 with a 1-year warranty excluding taxes. The laptop is priced well and should be available for under 70K with taxes"

Now the question is, where can i find one in India? or will i have to import it? But i am definitely considering the MBP also.

No need to import. Check the review again, they should be listing the distri etc :) + its a proper review, means product is officially in India.

One problem though, MSI has ONLY 1 service center in India. In delhi. Keep that in mind :p

mod_to_odd said:
Hello every one. I have never used a MAC notebook and i have never used the OSX. But many tell me that with the help of something called "Boot Camp" in the macbook pro, i will be able to have a dual OS. I am just worried of the compatibility problems.
Then we have the Dell XPS 1530. I am looking forward to buy any one of them(macbook pro or XPS) which can give me not the best but decent gaming. One main difference that i know is the graphic card in them. Dell has the 8600GT 256mb and the MBP has the 9600GT 512mb card.
Also, please give me links for sites where i can see latest mobile gpu comparisons. If you guys know any other laptop that gives similar or better performance then let me know PLEASE.
Are there any upcoming laptops that will have good gpu?

Intel:

Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - Product Comparison Chart
Intel® Core™2 Duo Mobile Processor Specifications
I bought one of these, but not for gaming :
acer India - Products View