Car & Bike New or second hand for casual use.

Hi All

I currently stay in Gulf but usually vist home in Surat. Its very difficult to commute on bike from city to interior. Please suggest which vehilce I should go for. It will be driven mostly by wife occasionally by me. Her preference is locked at honda jazz automatic. She is still a new driver and preferes only automatic. I have extended by budget upto 6 lac for the jazz. Any other options ?

Please suggest my best option. For atleast next three years it will be used sparely only when we are on vacation at home, it will remain parked otherwise. I don't want to go for second hand due to mechanical problems when I get it out after long.

What do u guys suggest ?

Apart from Jazz, you can also consider Zest and Bolt by Tata and Hyundai i20. All are available in automatic transmission as well. Have no experience with Bolt, but the Zest and i20 are a pleasure to drive, where the i20 is clearly the one I would go for.

Edit - my bad, I think automatic in bolt is not available yet.

Last edited:
Her preference is locked at honda jazz automatic. She is still a new driver and preferes only automatic. I have extended by budget upto 6 lac for the jazz.
The Jazz automatic starts from 8L on road. IINM the Celerio or the Alto is the only AT car under 6L.

Apart from Jazz, you can also consider Zest and Bolt by Tata and Hyundai i20. All are available in automatic transmission as well.
The Elite i20, i20 Active do not have an AT transmission either.

I wish they had a i20 AT newer edition. Do you think I should consider a second hand car ? Don't want wife to call up n say "it doesn't start" !!
Celerio I love it but again because of looks its on the bottom of list. What other options up to 6 lac ?

A second-hand honda city (2nd and 3rd gen) will fit in your budget. i have seen multiple AT variants for sale plus it has abs+airbags (safety is the only reason i haven't got the alto AT).
The previous gen honda jazz can also be considered, as it too was offered with an AT variant. while i believe the engine is the same b/w the new and old jazz i think the AT gearbox is different.
a regularly serviced Japanese car should be quite reliable.

Thanks for your suggestion guys. I have one more question. Do u think it would be a good option to go for a cheap second hand upto 50-60k to drive around while i am visiting for a month or 2 ? this way i can sell it off when I come back or just keep it there.

My suggestion: Buy TIAGO. Comes under 6 lakh, fully loaded on road price. Killer car, low maintenance.

Take a test drive to believe it :cool:

Back