Budget 90k+ New PC - 5600x / 5900x / 3900xt

JMP

Adept
Hey

Thinking of refreshing a old 4670 system this month, I use my PC for - programming, VMs (linux and system admin stuff), movies, browsing and some RTS games like Age of Empires 3 (2-3 hours gaming a week).
Confused if I should get a 5600x (27,300 INR ) or a 5900x (49,600 INR), know they are currently priced high and may not drop till Jan/Feb 2021. Would 5900x be future proof ?
3900XT is also available at a decent 38K, but Ryzen 5000 series is receiving rave reviews everywhere including the linux community.

Thinking of pairing this with a 3070 / 6800XT and a 55/65" 120 Hz 4K TV to get a good workstation + entertainment computer. I primarily work from home.
Sometimes I feel this would be a overkill / impulse buy, but sometimes I feel I can make good use of it. Confused, so thought I would seek your thoughts.

It depends on how CPU heavy your tasks are. 5600X is a great value gaming CPU (relatively) & can be paired with even top end GPU. You will save money going this route. If your tasks are very CPU heavy indeed, 3900XT at 38k is a great price (if including tax). Futureproofing is a relative term & depends on your usage. Even RTX 3070 is pretty good for years to come, CPU side decision depends on you. Yes, 5900X is the most future-proof of the 3 CPU you listed, but it costs more & some rare fellas can really max out that CPU for some application.

IMO RTX 3080 or 6800XT would be a better fit for 4K gaming, esp considering 4K 120Hz TV.

Hey

Thinking of refreshing a old 4670 system this month, I use my PC for - programming, VMs (linux and system admin stuff), movies, browsing and some RTS games like Age of Empires 3 (2-3 hours gaming a week).
Confused if I should get a 5600x (27,300 INR ) or a 5900x (49,600 INR), know they are currently priced high and may not drop till Jan/Feb 2021. Would 5900x be future proof ?
3900XT is also available at a decent 38K, but Ryzen 5000 series is receiving rave reviews everywhere including the linux community.

Thinking of pairing this with a 3070 / 6800XT and a 55/65" 120 Hz 4K TV to get a good workstation + entertainment computer. I primarily work from home.
Sometimes I feel this would be a overkill / impulse buy, but sometimes I feel I can make good use of it. Confused, so thought I would seek your thoughts.
3900XT for 38K ? where ? if this is what you are getting the go for it. no need to buy 5900X as with this you will also have to invest in after market cooler. I don't remember if 3900XT comes with cooler or not, if not the go with 3900X which comes with cooler. more than enough for you for 6 to 7 years.

also 3070 for 4k is not sufficient. it should be either 3080 or as you selected 6800XT.

3900XT for 38K ? where ? if this is what you are getting the go for it. no need to buy 5900X as with this you will also have to invest in after market cooler. I don't remember if 3900XT comes with cooler or not, if not the go with 3900X which comes with cooler. more than enough for you for 6 to 7 years.

also 3070 for 4k is not sufficient. it should be either 3080 or as you selected 6800XT.
SP Road retailer, think the price is same on Amazon India too. The 3900XT price includes a free cooler, not a great one, but works at stock.

Yup, 43K on Amazon, this guy is selling it at 38K, don't know how, but its genuine.
5900X is not in stock anywhere, those who have it in India are forcing customers to buy the whole PC from them.

Yup, 43K on Amazon, this guy is selling it at 38K, don't know how, but its genuine.
5900X is not in stock anywhere, those who have it in India are forcing customers to buy the whole PC from them.
38k is a great price, just buy it!

it would be stupid not to go with 5900x ,with your case it would offer you a lot of VM capabilities with gr8 ipc for games .5900x is the value proc in the 5000 series lineup and is future proof and for cooler go for cm 212 if you are not Ocing it and if ocing go for noctuas.

I would have recommended you 3900xt etc but in india there wont be price drop soon ,but in USA in upcomming black friday there would be black friday sales and prices will comedown on old amd`s.

and with new AMD you might get free games as well not sure though.

it would be stupid not to go with 5900x ,with your case it would offer you a lot of VM capabilities with gr8 ipc for games .5900x is the value proc in the 5000 series lineup and is future proof and for cooler go for cm 212 if you are not Ocing it and if ocing go for noctuas.

I would have recommended you 3900xt etc but in india there wont be price drop soon ,but in USA in upcomming black friday there would be black friday sales and prices will comedown on old amd`s.

and with new AMD you might get free games as well not sure though.
he is getting it for 38k plus cooler free. same deal what is on amazon for 43k

You could also check out the 3950X. It has 16 cores which are great for productivity plus it is very capable in gaming as well. On amazon it is 63k right now so with offers it can be had for 60k. See if you can find one for around 50k - 53k & it would be a great deal.

Also what are your expectations in terms of future proofing? Future proofing for games or productivity or competitive gaming? The only reason to get a high end processor should be productivity. In terms of productivity the more cores there are the better it is. On the other hand, for gaming a 5600X is more future proof right now.

Edit: Just saw your post on the price of 3900XT on Amazon. It is also 40k right now with a Rs 500 coupon pre applied. With a Amazon pay ICICI credit card you can get a 2k discount as well. So 38k for 3900XT. https://www.amazon.in/AMD-Ryzen-3900XT-Processor-100-100000277WOF/dp/B089WD454D/

Last edited:
he is getting it for 38k plus cooler free. same deal what is on amazon for 43k
if he had a 3900x and would have asked should i upgrade i would have told no , but he is comming from an 4670 ,one of the best IPC and higher clocked processor who has kept his processor for a while.It seems he will definitely keep the new one too ,recommending a 3900x which is already 10 to 15 % down on IPC would be not a good call on a longer run
You could also check out the 3950X. It has 16 cores which are great for productivity plus it is very capable in gaming as well. On amazon it is 63k right now so with offers it can be had for 60k. See if you can find one for around 50k - 53k & it would be a great deal.

Also what are your expectations in terms of future proofing? Future proofing for games or productivity or competitive gaming? The only reason to get a high end processor should be productivity. In terms of productivity the more cores there are the better it is. On the other hand, for gaming a 5600X is more future proof right now.
5600x yes ,but there is a possibility there would be a non x version as well ,but those are rumors and i agree if you get used 3950x that would be great in 53-55 range ,but i doubt someone would sell it off within a year

Back