New pc : Cpu/mobo/psu/hdd/ram - 30k

SoulFire

Skilled
Questions

Q: What is your budget?

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Dell 2209WA
Speakers - Logitech Z2300
Xigmatek Asguard (Bought new)
HDD - WD 640AAKS, 320gb hdd
Benq Lightscribe dvd writer

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Processor AMD x4 955 BE - 7200
Motherboard msi 890 gxm-g65 - 7300
Ram Gskill ripjaws 1600 ddr 3 4gb kit - 5500
HDD 1 TB - 2800 - Unsure which brand - need to decide if i should uset he 1tb as primary for OS or the WD AAKS [ i could get a 1.5tb as well since there just a 1k odd difference but is it recommended seeing the high failure rates ?]
PSU Corsair tx650 - 6300

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

No Upgrades for a couple of years to the least

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai -
Open to purchase from anywhere - Online/Member/Local Mkt (Seconds would do too other than mobo and PSU)

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming ( Later not now)
Browsing
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Fixed on Corsair for the PSU coz of the A.S.S.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop - 1680x1050

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes but not by much - 10-15%

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

Ok so am on quite a budget due to some financial difficulties , cant assemble my dream rig like i dreamed of :p and the GFX will have to wait but i may add a gfx in the future to the tune of a gtx 460 or likes.

Lil confused on the mobo, had thought id only buy MSI/Gigabyte but this has got me thinking if i should consider Asus.

Ohh and one more biggie i stay close to the sea so everything gets rusted in no time so a reliable mobo is the need of the day, my mobo fails almost every year.

You could get the following --

Intel based --

Intel Core i5-760 ~ 10.5k

MSi P55 GD65 - 8k

Seagate Barracudda ~3k

Corsair XMS3 2*2GB DDR3 1600 MHz ~5k

Corsair VX550 ~5k

Or an AMD Alternative--

AMD Phenom II 965BE ~ 9k

MSi 890GX ~ 7.5k

Seagate Barracudda 1TB 7200RPM ~3k

Corsair XMS3 2*2GB DDR3 ~ 5k

Corsair VX550 ~5k

Benches = Here - i5 760 vs 965BE

Atmospheric Salinity + Humidity - I think the "Military Class" will live up to its name (MSi) - I mean

If you really want to go with Gigabyte which again is a great alternative --

Intel - GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R ~10k

AMD -GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H ~10k (If you are going with this then go with 955BE)

(This might slightly overshoot the budget - else go for boards with an earlier chipset - will cost less)

Suggested 965BE since you have the moolah for it , higher clocks thats all - 955BE will almost be the same

Benches = Here - 955 Vs 965

The PSU Could handle a 460/ dual 450s / Single 5850 -- Anything in that range but not SLi/CFX - if you are thinking of going SLi or CfX then VX650 is teh way to go...

Also , my suggestion - if you are going AMD - Then try getting an AMD based graphics - just a thought - experts here could comment on this.

Wait for the AMD show off of the 6xxx GPU's there might just be something in store there ...

Hope I helped

:cool2:

get these

AMD - 955BE @Rs.7350

MSI 890 GXM-G65 @Rs.6875

CORSAIR VX 550 @Rs.4800 (I know this is more than enough for you-its powering 4 hdds in my system)

Go for the Seagate 1TB hdd.

G-Skill Trident - 4GB Kit or OCZ AMD BLACK EDITION(If you can wait for 10 days!)

That leaves you with about 10k - invest it in the GTX 460.

What about ur keyboard and mouse?

ok im gonna freeze on amd 955 BE coz the 965 1k more is not worth it honestly, can over clock that.

Mobo still confused on durability between gigabyte and msi [Forgot to mention USB3 and Sata3 is a MUST]

GPU - ill be getting something in the likes of 5850/470/460 max a 5870 never a sli so the psu needs to power this beast or else the 6xxx series

HDD - will never go to more than 3 HDDs at any point in time. ALso whats the model number of that seagate 1tb hdd

PSU - would VX550 suffice bearing in mind the above ?

RAm - the tridents seem good to go.

KB/Mouse - Got a samsung pleomax and a dell mouse that ill use for now. not a priority to get good peripherals there right now , ill change those later.

SoulFire said:
ok im gonna freeze on amd 955 BE coz the 965 1k more is not worth it honestly, can over clock that.

Mobo still confused on durability between gigabyte and msi [Forgot to mention USB3 and Sata3 is a MUST]
GPU - ill be getting something in the likes of 5850/470/460 max a 5870 never a sli so the psu needs to power this beast or else the 6xxx series
HDD - will never go to more than 3 HDDs at any point in time. ALso whats the model number of that seagate 1tb hdd
PSU - would VX550 suffice bearing in mind the above ?
RAm - the tridents seem good to go.

KB/Mouse - Got a samsung pleomax and a dell mouse that ill use for now. not a priority to get good peripherals there right now , ill change those later.
Yes. VX550 would suffice for HD5870 and 3HDD's.

Well - In terms of durability - MSi and Gigabyte are on the same level - But given a choice I'd go with MSi - Makes boards at a great price - And are pretty darn reliable ..You can see the difference above - MSi 890 Chipset ~7k , the same with Gigabyte~10k

yea i was getting to that, next big question is will i have issues with the ram compatibility on these boards or should i upgrade the firmware before i pick it up, ive noticed many people having issues on that front.

As of now i need a motherboard which has on board as well since ill be running it without a gpu for a while so agreed MSI is pretty much VFM for the features it offers.

Gigabyte offers 4+1 phase power design which MSI doesent , how important is that in my choice, does it really matter ?

Also should i have an option of adding an el cheapo gfx that i might borrow is this board better ?

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 i believe it costs 7k as well ?

Could one of you let me know the model # of the seagate hdd, is it ST310005N1A1AS-RK ?3.5 Inch SATA Hard Drives with Ultra ATA Software Technology | Seagate

Dark Star said:
^^^ care to check the feature set and accessories ?
Sir , For answering this question I bet google is more than enough (No offense)

GA-890GPA-UD3H - Specification Set

MSi 890GXM-G65 - Specification Set

I don't really see many noticeable differences other than that of expandability options in the I/O Panel + PCI-e 1x connectors and SATA connectors - which seem to be more in the gigabyte's case - this and a 2.5k price difference - I'd pick the MSi.

SoulFire said:
yea i was getting to that, next big question is will i have issues with the ram compatibility on these boards or should i upgrade the firmware before i pick it up, ive noticed many people having issues on that front.

As of now i need a motherboard which has on board as well since ill be running it without a gpu for a while so agreed MSI is pretty much VFM for the features it offers.

Gigabyte offers 4+1 phase power design which MSI doesent , how important is that in my choice, does it really matter ?

Also should i have an option of adding an el cheapo gfx that i might borrow is this board better ?

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 i believe it costs 7k as well ?
1- DDR3 Compatible upto 16GB on both of them - I dont see where the issue lies - You just need to upgrade to the latest drivers - since the default drivers for the 890GX chipset have been pretty sloppy - I've heard - After the driver upgrade - Will work seamlessly.

2- AFAIK Mate , 4+1 Phase voltage regulators are on the MSi board as well - the "Active Phase Switching" is the 4+1 In disguise - I guess - Not really sure - but 4+1 Phase VRM - yes - basically refers to more efficient usage of the power supplied to the boards - comes useful while OC / Unlocking / Achieving higher clocks.

3 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - Great board - No IGP though - If you are getting in an el-cheapo - this is a great board - But this is not a real 8+2 Phase VRM (This one is a 4+4+2 - I guess , experts need to comment on this) - This is a great board if you are going to OC ! - You have better expandability options on this board - great BIOS options , but then I recommended the MSi 890GX because of the 4290 - since you weren't going to get a GPU any time soon. But then there is this stuff called ATi Hybrid CfX which basically combines the GPU+IGP (Available on the 890 Chipset + Only applicable to AMD+ATi)

I hope that cleared some air about the stuff

l33t said:
Sir , For answering this question I bet google is more than enough (No offense)

GA-890GPA-UD3H - Specification Set

MSi 890GXM-G65 - Specification Set

I don't really see many noticeable differences other than that of expandability options in the I/O Panel + PCI-e 1x connectors and SATA connectors - which seem to be more in the gigabyte's case - this and a 2.5k price difference - I'd pick the MSi.
1- DDR3 Compatible upto 16GB on both of them - I dont see where the issue lies - You just need to upgrade to the latest drivers - since the default drivers for the 890GX chipset have been pretty sloppy - I've heard - After the driver upgrade - Will work seamlessly.

2- AFAIK Mate , 4+1 Phase voltage regulators are on the MSi board as well - the "Active Phase Switching" is the 4+1 In disguise - I guess - Not really sure - but 4+1 Phase VRM - yes - basically refers to more efficient usage of the power supplied to the boards - comes useful while OC / Unlocking / Achieving higher clocks.

3 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - Great board - No IGP though - If you are getting in an el-cheapo - this is a great board - But this is not a real 8+2 Phase VRM (This one is a 4+4+2 - I guess , experts need to comment on this) - This is a great board if you are going to OC ! - You have better expandability options on this board - great BIOS options , but then I recommended the MSi 890GX because of the 4290 - since you weren't going to get a GPU any time soon. But then there is this stuff called ATi Hybrid CfX which basically combines the GPU+IGP (Available on the 890 Chipset + Only applicable to AMD+ATi)

I hope that cleared some air about the stuff

The MSI one is a mATX board whereas the Gigabyte is a ATX board.(mATX will be cramped when it comes with CFX of larger cards IINM)

The MSI one comes with just 1 SATA cable according to newegg.

The Gigabyte comes with 4 SATA cables(2 of them are right angle ones)

Surprsingly thought the MSI one is $130 and Giga is $135.

But here the MSI one costs ~ 7.3k and the Gigabyte costs ~9.3k.

Not only this board there few other MSI mobos too where the $--> INR conversion is lesser than most other mobos which is nice indeed.

When it comes to VFM though the MSI wins as there is no other 890GX mobo with same set of features in the ~7k-8k price point.

@OP- If u are not going for dual GPU set up wouldnt a MSI 880GMA-E45 ~ 5.7k suffice as it has most features of the 890GX board sans the dual PCIE- x16 and DrMOS.

Also try checking the availability of Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H. Its a good mobo if priced ~6k.

@l33t. Hybrid CFX can be done only with low end GPU.The 800 series IGP can be hybrid CFX with only the HD5450. The OP is looking to buy a mid range GPU like the HD5770 or similar. So theres no use of Hybrid CFX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics

thanks guys that adds some mix to the spice , well jus because i have the cash i wouldnt wanna splurge it all , just wanna get a setup that meets my needs , frozen on the cpu/ram/hdd and psu, interesting take on the mobo , if i can save on the mobo i might get a good cpu cooler ( not good read decent or okayish) or else a mx 518 or just save it for a gpu (mostly a msi gtx 460 cyclone)

i have changed soo many premium mobos in the past i dont need any accessories to further clarify, have some fans, lots of sata cables n other stuff lying around, so mobo which is rock solid reliable with a feature set primarily to these is all im looking for :- good quality components, usb3 and sata3 easy oc is desirable but not a must have.

again if thers some mobo that really excels which doesent have an IGP i dont mind considering it.

Ok so the Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H looks much better built than the MSI 880GMA-E4 , now 1.2k price difference to the MSI 890 GXM-G65 is something to think about. man why are there sooo many mobo options out there , makes things so confusing.

l33t said:
Well - In terms of durability - MSi and Gigabyte are on the same level - But given a choice I'd go with MSi - Makes boards at a great price - And are pretty darn reliable ..You can see the difference above - MSi 890 Chipset ~7k , the same with Gigabyte~10k
and I always thought Gigabyte makes better than MSI in same price range, guess I was wrong.

i5 760 9.8k
gigabyte p55 ud2h 6.5k
gskill trident 4gb 5.25k
1tb seagate 7200.12 2.8k
corsair vx450 3.6k

Total 28k
You can opt for higher psu if you going for power hungry cards in future

OK Ive finalised on the setup and thanks to the Ebay VF Offer i was able to strech a bit n pull a gfx

AMD x4 955 BE
MSI 890 GXM-G65
4gb OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 (had this ram but didnt wanna wait for RMA but waiting now since i could use the money to get the card)
Corsair VX 550
1tb Seagate

Asked for a MSI 460 GTX Cyclone, now thers the HAWK as well , whats the price diff between the 2, getting the cyclone for 13k is that pricing ok ? how much is the hawk priced at ?

The HAWK costs 9k

9.5k for Cyclone is lies.

Cyclone comes in at 12k-13k.

The 1Gb GTX460 will be the most VFM buy at 13k.

Check with prime.

Back