New Phone. Price Range 8-10 K. No Android

coolaks7

Disciple
Sep 13, 2010
Hi All. I am planning to purchase a new phone for my sister. No android please as i just recently bought an android phone and to be honest its a bit complex compared to nokia. :D

1. Q: Budget?
A: 8-10 k..

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Any

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Preference will be give to Nokia, then Samsung and Sony Ericson

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: QWERTY+ Touchscreen ( If possible)

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash not must.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Any

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G and Wifi desirable

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, multimedia and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Nah

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nokia X5, C3 (After using Reliance Discount Coupon its close to 10k :p)
Also want to know how good is C3. Few months back I was looking for this phone and it had a lot of hanging problems. Have they been resolved?

Thanks in Advance..

taher

Adept
Mar 4, 2008
hyderabad
pauldmps said:
^^ Still I don't find it exactly VFM. Camera lacks flash & the touchscreen is resistive.

That's why I recommended Wave 723.

for people who are used to nokia its a lot vfm good screen (i mean it a good resistive screen can compete with a capacitive)

coolaks7

Disciple
Sep 13, 2010
Hey Thank you all for the suggestions. :)

This phone is for my sister and she is not used to Touchscreens. Hence a physical keyboard is a must. Wave 533 is not a great looker. Same is the case with SE. Though they are great VFM. Plus the resistive touch of Nokia phones such as 5230,5233 and 5800 is not that bad. So I am assuming Nokia C6 to have the same touch screen as well...

So far I have finalized the Nokia C6. Will be doing a short Demo at a local store during the weekend and will be finally Ordering through Letsbuy. I just pray that the offer remains till the weekend. :p

debabratad

Disciple
Nov 11, 2005
www.debabrata.info
Its your choice that you are going in for a resistive touchscreen, but I am telling you from my personal experience it would/might become a nightmare in some time.

I had bought a Samsung jet, in the 2nd month it was launched, and after less than a years use had to sell it for peanuts, just because the touchscreen had become totally unusable.

Had also got it replaced from the service center with money from my own pockets (thats was because the lousy samsung service center guys didn't accept warranty).

Still it became unusable again after some use.

My friend has got a samsung galaxy 5 for the past 3-4 months and I use it almost now and then. Thats much much much better than my resistive touchscreen.

I have now vowed that whatever happens i would never buy another resistive touchscreen (or a phone with samsung propriety software onboard) again in my life.

It's just a waste of hard-earned money. Hopefully your experience would be better. :)

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
pauldmps said:
A resistive screen cannot compete with capacitive. A resistive screen will definitely lose its sensitivity after few months of use. At last you'll end up banging the touchscreen to register taps.
now I have to object. do you know after how many touches a screen loses it's sensitivity? I'm trying to be poilte, so let me guess. No

Well, here''s the fact:

It's that high that you'll probably have 7 pinger surgeries before the screen runs out(resistive). Capacitive, aah , that will be like 2 generations maybe.

Resistive cant compete with capacitive for it's lack of multi-touch, dont add other non-existent points to this.

--------------

My friend using 5800 since launch(resistive). it hasnt run out yet, i still find it's sensitivity to match my newer 5230

Sanav3

Adept
Mar 16, 2005
Mumbai <--> Pune
My friends have been using Nokia 5800, 5230 for atleast 2-2.5 years and their touchscreens have been fine.
But when I visisted the LG service center, I could see atleast 3 people requesting change of panels for their resistive touchscreen phones.

@pauldmps : I doubt you can generalise resistive touchscreens as bad here.

pauldmps

Skilled
Mar 20, 2011
Hyderabad, India
First of all, let me inform that multitouch can be enabled in a resistive touchscreen too but it is a very difficult process for manufacturers.

It is not because of multitouch but due to low operating life that manufacturers have moved away from resistive touchscreens even though they are cheaper to produce.

Nokia uses the excuse that due to extreme cold in Finland, people use gloves & hence they cannot use capacitive touchscreens.

Yeah you cannot generalize resistive touchscreens but the all of them are based on the same principle. So they'll end up having the same fate sooner or later. The life will depend on the number of taps made. Not good for a heavy smartphone user.

I'm using Samsung Champ since 6 months & I don't find any problems with touch sensitivity. But I know that it will meet the same fate as my friend's Asus P320.