New Reliance Wimax Connection: Make sense ?

rajshah

Skilled
@Wimax users:
How'z the connection now ?
Downtimes ?
Speeds ?
Login/logout as in Session timeouts ?
Customer care ?

I am planning to shift from my current Tata 128kbps to Reliance Wimax 400UL.
Its for 999/- plus taxes.
Anyone using the same plan ? (In or around Sion ?)

Also.. does it make sense to go for their wifi router ?
All they are offering is some I-ball router for 3500/- and 4500/-.
Or should i just buy my own Linksys / Buffalo router ?

How'z the connection now ? Surprisingly stable! in my area at least!

Downtimes ? None yet in 2 weeks

Speeds ? As promised: have a 400kbps, and get 49-50kbps constantly

Login/logout as in Session timeouts ? every 24 hours, but there is a workaround for that too

Customer care ? Not been through that yet. no problems so far

i suggest you buy a wifi router first, my linksys works perfectly and THEN call for the connection. that way the router will be recorded as your computer. that way, you can use any computer over wifi as well as your desktop properly

frankmehta said:
How'z the connection now ? Surprisingly stable! in my area at least!
Downtimes ? None yet in 2 weeks
Speeds ? As promised: have a 400kbps, and get 49-50kbps constantly
Login/logout as in Session timeouts ? every 24 hours, but there is a workaround for that too
Customer care ? Not been through that yet. no problems so far

i suggest you buy a wifi router first, my linksys works perfectly and THEN call for the connection. that way the router will be recorded as your computer. that way, you can use any computer over wifi as well as your desktop properly

+1 to what frankmehta has said. I guess the 400Kbps unlimited connection is for 1000 bucks plus taxes...

I've had their Wimax connection close to a year now. Except for the time they added some new antennas in my area, I've never had any downtime - a lot! stabler than any wired ISP I've ever had. Unlike other ISPs, they give you more or less the promised speed. In my case, ~70-73KB/s on the 600kbps connection.

Customer care folks are like pre-programmed answering machines but at least somebody else gets back to you once you've registered a complaint.

Any good router will have a "Use system MAC ID" feature which makes the router pick up your LAN card's MAC ID and use it as its own. Some even let you manually enter the MAC ID. If you're confused, pick up a Linksys one just to be safe.

another good thing about wimax is the non dependability on cable operators, which as we all know on this forum, is a boon!

there is also a lot of clarity in their claims, and it is one of the few networks that allows one to use wi fi without any hassles. i had sify that didnt allow me to use wi fi but supersify changed it for me.

in the end, ditched sify in favour of reliance and not regretting it now!

Have it since Jan08, and the downtime in last 8 months have been 0, not even a 10 mins downtime !!!

And I have the 400kbps connection get around 40 kbps dload speed and 50kbps upload speed. Though a lil expensive, is worth every penny due to no downtimes etc...

@frankmehta / aces and cyberjunkie,

Thanks for your inputs.

Glad to hear positive stuff about the isp / connection.

And ya.. thanks for the router tips, Frank. Will keep in mind.

Going in for the 400UL connection.

Will update once I get it.

OT: I was a little apprehensive picking up the Reliance broadnet (wired) connection. But there is no downtime at all. Glad to hear it's the same for the Wimax also. Their customer care is really very good!

hi folks,

Reliance Wimax is jus the service u need incase u sick and tired of ur cable operator and wish a better service at a premium price. I have been using ti since 3 months and jus no amount of downtimes. Bandwidth is what they promise, download speeds of 50-60k and upload of 60-75, ocassionally the connection goes mad and u get speeds exceeding ur pack. I am using the 400k pack for 999/-+taxes. but i have schemed for 6 months which works out to be 4995/- incl taxes. Customer care, well none atleast in this part of the world are the rigjht kind and nor is theirs, sayin so on experiences of friends who have been using it.

On a personal note, please donot book the connection frm any of their angencies but better call them directly coz i had to pay the price of doing so as it took me 21 days to get the connection through vrushubs network, a farud agency.

All in all a good service with no downtimes and promissed speeds. Like what franksmetha said, u have to login every 24 hrs and the CC wont help u in that so no use calling.

@frank. Am put up at Sion, Jain Society.

Could you elaborate on the workaround for the 24hrs session timeout.

You use automated scripts ? Anything in particular ?

@vishal, Thanks for your inputs.

Me too thinking of going for the 6month setup.

It saves me 1 month's rent and 500 bucks installation charges :)

call their cc...with number 30337777.....and talk to operator a they dont advertise the plan in tariff..yesterday only i gave my details and the guy told within 7 days their enggr will b ard...also ill get the connection as hardly 100 metres away i have their corporate park office....so getting wifi in my place wont b a prob i guess...i stay in swastik park chembur....near to reliance corporate park

Thanks for the link.

But got problems with rapidshare. (some new image thing can't figure out what it is !)

Can you post that some place else ? (on TE itself maybe ?)

Back