Audio New Sound card or New speakers?

hash

Adept
Hi people,

I have to stop using my Creative SBS 2.1 which was bought 3 years ago and I'm not too dissappointed considering that it's 3 years old.

But things have changed now and I want a little more Juice out of the music I listen to. But I'm restricted by my budget. So I have decided to come up with these options from I can afford , so please suggest those who own Sound cards .

Bugdet : 4000 Rs.
2 Options available for me:

1. My 3 year old Creative SBS 2.1 Speakers + a new sound card

2. Buy a brand new speakers.
My main usage is Music!

Please help guys I'm blind in choosing speakers. I have no idea whatsoever.May be 5.1 or 2.1 as long as it's below Rs.4000.
5.1 would be awesome but I will whatever you guys suggest blindy.

Should I buy a not so bad 5.1 or a decent 2.1?

I was looking at a speaker called Creative 5.1 T 6100. Is the MX5021 better than that?
Please help because I'm not thinking of increasing my Budget.. from 4000Rs.

creative T3030 2.1 Rs 2400/-

creative audigy value card for 1600/-

Just bought for my old computer, sound good on my6 year old computer.

hash said:
Should I buy a not so bad 5.1 or a decent 2.1?

I was looking at a speaker called Creative 5.1 T 6100. Is the MX5021 better than that?

Please help because I'm not thinking of increasing my Budget.. from 4000Rs.
If you need the bass booming speakers then look for 2.1 speakers but they will not give you surround effect as good as you get with 5.1, so if you are sure that you will use the speakers mostly for music go for 2.1, if you watch movies then you will hear a great lot of difference with 5.1

With 2.1 you'll be hearing the music coming from in front of you (stereo)

With 5.1 you'll be hearing the music as if it was in your head (surround) which I think is much more enjoyable.

I have both in my house new one for the music another 10 years older 4.1 speaker set for watching movies, all day music mp3 & i can tell that difference. Good boomy bass 5.1 speakers will cost you over 10000/-

You may want to read this post carefully & that will help you decide.

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/2-1-vs-5-1-computer-134154.html#post1111280

Someone please tell me which is better for music ....2.1 or the 5.1's!!!!

I love high bass and surround effect's! So at 4.5 K will I be able to get both in a 5.1 speaker? Cause I use IEM's on my IPOD and i just love the surround effect and the massive bass.

And I heard that 5.1 Speakers will not be able to play mp3 files..Is this true?

hash said:
Someone please tell me which is better for music ....2.1 or the 5.1's!!!!

I love high bass and surround effect's! So at 4.5 K will I be able to get both in a 5.1 speaker? Cause I use IEM's on my IPOD and i just love the surround effect and the massive bass.

And I heard that 5.1 Speakers will not be able to play mp3 files..Is this true?

Bro if you want better quality of music then 2.1

If you can sacrifice music quality a little bit and want extra bass and surround effects then 5.1

I am myself using Logitech x540 - 5.1k

Really good 5.1 speakers. The Matrix Mode almost makes it sound like a very good 2.1 speaker with bass and surround

So from all these suggestions I'm thinking of the x540 as No.1 in my buying list and

creative T3030 2.1 Rs 2400/-

creative audigy value card for 1600/- as an alternative.

For budget under 4000 will recoment to go for Sony SRS-D211 2.1 PC Speakers for Rs.3590/ (from Itdepot).Before taking any decision please check the review here:

Tech2.com India > Sony SRS-D211 2.1 PC Speakers > Reviews > PCs & Laptops > PC

and also amazon.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, but 5.1 are my first preference.

If anyone else has any suggestions please do pour in.

sarang said:
Save a little more and get the MX5021. You can think about the sound card later.

@hash, this is good advice, i have recently done the same without stretching my budget too much, still waiting to get sound card but low priority, see my thread here: http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/z2300-with-xonar-dx-good-combo-157534.html

But note, of course, I have bought the Altec Lansing MX 5021 and they sound awesome even on my onboard motherboard sound chip... still thinking whether or not to get the Xonar DX now :)

Well, yes MX5021 is what I was thinking of at first. But when Surround effects came I dumped the idea of MX5021. I don't crave for very High-Quality,

but a decent quality music playback + Good bass and Good surround effects would do for me.

So for the above wouldn't the x540 do justice?

hash said:
Well, yes MX5021 is what I was thinking of at first. But when Surround effects came I dumped the idea of MX5021. I don't crave for very High-Quality,
but a decent quality music playback + Good bass and Good surround effects would do for me.

So for the above wouldn't the x540 do justice?

Logitech x540 will do just fine

If its decent quality music playback + Good bass and Good surround effects you want , then look nowhere else , Logitech x540 will do your job just fine

I just realised that I can't find the Logitech x540 in Chennai or in Prime .

Any one in Chennai know of any availability of the Logitech x540?

BTW, will I be able to play mp3 files on the 5.1 with sound coming out of all the 5 speakers ? Some one tell me this first , please! My friend keeps insisting me that 5.1 won't play mp3's over all 5 speakers but only through 2 Speakers! True?

1. are you a hardcore games ( ie can use positional audio usefully, - detect someone from footsteps behind, as opposed to oooh, check out the explosions from behind!!!)

2. Are you a hardcore movie buff ( buy/download ONLY HD/Surround rips?)

Try these out at a friend's place, and see if you REALLY want them. I have a 7.1 setup, but it has been years since I've used my surround speakers. the novelty of surround wears off soon.

Get a proper pair of stereo speakers like the MX 5021. And you dont need a soundcard for any speaker <5k. 5-10k is optional. for STEREO speakers above 10k, you need a better soundcard :)

hash said:
I just realised that I can't find the Logitech x540 in Chennai or in Prime .

Any one in Chennai know of any availability of the Logitech x540?

BTW, will I be able to play mp3 files on the 5.1 with sound coming out of all the 5 speakers ? Some one tell me this first , please! My friend keeps insisting me that 5.1 won't play mp3's over all 5 speakers but only through 2 Speakers! True?

You can very well play MP3 on all speakers . Whoever told you that , doesn't have any sense of mind . Coz , if he doesn't select 5.1 setup in drivers , how will sound be played through 5 speakers. I use Logitech x540 and yes it plays sound on all speakers

I would suggest you buy online

MP3 or any other audio file format will play & you will get sound from all speakers if your sound card is enabled for 5.1 setup, your friend who told you that stupid thing is those kind of people who buy latest gadgets & don't know head & tail of using them.

in your sound card driver you will see option 5.1/2.1 you can choose any one as per your liking.

ranjan2001 said:
MP3 or any other audio file format will play & you will get sound from all speakers if your sound card is enabled for 5.1 setup, your friend who told you that stupid thing is those kind of people who buy latest gadgets & don't know head & tail of using them.

in your sound card driver you will see option 5.1/2.1 you can choose any one as per your liking.

Exactly , that is what I said earlier.

Never ask advice from this friend ever again . A complete noob when it comes to knowing basic about technology

Nah man. I stay in chennai. But I can't find the x540 even in the largest dealers. They keep suggesting the Creative T6100 >,<

Buy any thing you want either 2.1 or 5.1 but the total wattage should be greater than 50W rms.

If you are more into music , Edifier is also a good choice.

Back