Budget 21-30k New to this forum need help with second-hand buying

Dauggie

Disciple
Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this.
but I just found out about this forum through reddit, and was mind blown with second-hand GPU prices well compared to online retails. my question are -

are the people selling their used GPU, legit?
if buying, what all things should I look for like - a warranty, bill, product box? and if there is a registered warranty on their email account, how does that pass on to next person?

I'm quite noob in this regard.
also what price range should used GPU ~ 3060ti - RX6700 XT - 3070 fall into?
thanks for all the help I can get.

If you are buying from a forum like this, check these things - How old is the sellers account, What is the Trading reputations and deals completed in the past. Based on that you should take a call. I will personally prefer to deal with someone who is here for a while did couple of tradings and got food feedback. I have bought, sold through forum, olx, facebook using these kind of tactics. DM me for more details

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this.
but I just found out about this forum through reddit, and was mind blown with second-hand GPU prices well compared to online retails. my question are -

if buying, what all things should I look for like - a warranty, bill, product box? and if there is a registered warranty on their email account, how does that pass on to next person?

I'm quite noob in this regard.
thanks for all the help I can get.
Lmao I assume you came from someone suggesting on r/indiangaming or some city subreddit nah? Same here only (although that was 3 years ago for me)

Yes and no

Yes in the sense that yeah, if the seller follows every rule as put by the mods (pics of gpu with username and date, pics of bill, cpuz pics etc etc), if you the buyer uses his common senses of the price of the gpu etc, how much other gpus of this same model are going for etc, then yes buying from members here is safe.

No in the sense that scams do happen here (but very very rarely, once in a blue moon), and it's also not "new members", hell I've seen during the gpu craze, old members that haven't been active for years and had some amount of feedback getting their accounts hacked into (common shared passwords that got leaked and someone just reverse searched through them), posting pics of gpus without any of the rules followed (no pics with date/username, promising to update it later, no gpuz etc etc) basic safe guidelines were completely ignored by the scammers and people got tricked by them anyways (I wonder what happened to that). But as you read, this only happened because the victim themselves didn't use their braincell and just immediately paid the scammer fearing someone else would "purchase" the gpu before them.

Basically, use common sense, if it sounds too good to be true, maybe double check properly before hand but honestly speaking as long as it isn't an rtx 3080 for 20k type of deals you're fine lol
All these 3 things can affect the price of the card. If there's warranty remaining on the gpu, depending on the number of years left, the longer it has the higher the price. I think certain AIBs allow rma only on serial but I would suggest you to do your own research and finalise. While my asus gpu was bought in 2019, the serial works via import date so according to the website it was a year old already. You might need the bill you might not but it's better for a card to have. Box however doesn't affect any warranty claim, your personal choice but imo if a seller doesn't have a box it usually means they're one of those computer resellers or some guy who deals with pc parts alot like alot alot and not from someone who might have personally used it (because who throws their pc part boxes here? I bloody sleep with them on the first day)

if there is a registered warranty on their email account, how does that pass on to next person?
I think this is with regards to zotac cards, while extended warranty of 2 years is given to the gpus (3+2), the warranty once the standard 3 years is over (or is it 2 years? not sure), you would need to send an rma request from that email which you registered with and according to other members here, that is the only way you can claim the extended warranty. I think I saw a card thread here that did register the card but on a work email that was no longer valid hence the extended warranty was also invalid (this is the sort of stuff you need to lookout for) but have to give props to the members of this community for finding out important stuff like that on sale threads, it helps the buyer and the seller out.
This you're just going to have to search around, see sale threads that had these cards you specified recently sold (and hope the seller didn't make the price into 000, mods can we do something about this) and check if the new sale post you're looking at is somewhere around that price or is reasonable. Check the prices of the same card new as well etc etc. However don't compare gpu sales here from like 6 months back or a year back as the market always changes, recently the mining gpu drops is starting again so prices are lower compared to last year. Hence again I say, research and use your own senses and come to the conclusion on what the fair price would be

Hope this was helpful, if you have any more doubts feel free to ask but please don't ask me specifically what gpus to buy, I'm completely out of touch and just learnt that the 4000s series cards are coming out wth

Lmao I assume you came from someone suggesting on r/indiangaming or some city subreddit nah? Same here only (although that was 3 years ago for me)

Yes and no

Yes in the sense that yeah, if the seller follows every rule as put by the mods (pics of gpu with username and date, pics of bill, cpuz pics etc etc), if you the buyer uses his common senses of the price of the gpu etc, how much other gpus of this same model are going for etc, then yes buying from members here is safe.

No in the sense that scams do happen here (but very very rarely, once in a blue moon), and it's also not "new members", hell I've seen during the gpu craze, old members that haven't been active for years and had some amount of feedback getting their accounts hacked into (common shared passwords that got leaked and someone just reverse searched through them), posting pics of gpus without any of the rules followed (no pics with date/username, promising to update it later, no gpuz etc etc) basic safe guidelines were completely ignored by the scammers and people got tricked by them anyways (I wonder what happened to that). But as you read, this only happened because the victim themselves didn't use their braincell and just immediately paid the scammer fearing someone else would "purchase" the gpu before them.

Basically, use common sense, if it sounds too good to be true, maybe double check properly before hand but honestly speaking as long as it isn't an rtx 3080 for 20k type of deals you're fine lol

All these 3 things can affect the price of the card. If there's warranty remaining on the gpu, depending on the number of years left, the longer it has the higher the price. I think certain AIBs allow rma only on serial but I would suggest you to do your own research and finalise. While my asus gpu was bought in 2019, the serial works via import date so according to the website it was a year old already. You might need the bill you might not but it's better for a card to have. Box however doesn't affect any warranty claim, your personal choice but imo if a seller doesn't have a box it usually means they're one of those computer resellers or some guy who deals with pc parts alot like alot alot and not from someone who might have personally used it (because who throws their pc part boxes here? I bloody sleep with them on the first day)

I think this is with regards to zotac cards, while extended warranty of 2 years is given to the gpus (3+2), the warranty once the standard 3 years is over (or is it 2 years? not sure), you would need to send an rma request from that email which you registered with and according to other members here, that is the only way you can claim the extended warranty. I think I saw a card thread here that did register the card but on a work email that was no longer valid hence the extended warranty was also invalid (this is the sort of stuff you need to lookout for) but have to give props to the members of this community for finding out important stuff like that on sale threads, it helps the buyer and the seller out.

This you're just going to have to search around, see sale threads that had these cards you specified recently sold (and hope the seller didn't make the price into 000, mods can we do something about this) and check if the new sale post you're looking at is somewhere around that price or is reasonable. Check the prices of the same card new as well etc etc. However don't compare gpu sales here from like 6 months back or a year back as the market always changes, recently the mining gpu drops is starting again so prices are lower compared to last year. Hence again I say, research and use your own senses and come to the conclusion on what the fair price would be

Hope this was helpful, if you have any more doubts feel free to ask but please don't ask me specifically what gpus to buy, I'm completely out of touch and just learnt that the 4000s series cards are coming out wth
Really helpful. i got the basic idea of what I should keep in mind. will look in rules posted by mods to get better idea of what sellers/buyers should take into consideration. thanks again. And yes I came from indianGaming xD where I asked whether olx was safe or not.

If you are buying from a forum like this, check these things - How old is the sellers account, What is the Trading reputations and deals completed in the past. Based on that you should take a call. I will personally prefer to deal with someone who is here for a while did couple of tradings and got food feedback. I have bought, sold through forum, olx, facebook using these kind of tactics. DM me for more details
really helpful advice, thanks. will try to look for sellers in my location so that its easy to meet/contact.

Really helpful. i got the basic idea of what I should keep in mind. will look in rules posted by mods to get better idea of what sellers/buyers should take into consideration. thanks again. And yes I came from indianGaming xD where I asked whether olx was safe or not.

really helpful advice, thanks. will try to look for sellers in my location so that its easy to meet/contact.
Yes you should look locally first if you can, but it's a bit hard if you don't live in tier 1 cities (even then their price expectations are too high or there just isn't that specific card or pc part you're searching for). The classifieds here are much easier to deal with (most of the time) since the sellers already have a somewhat realistic price in their listings

Question: Why aren't redditors using the reddit marketplace?
i was just following Indian gaming subreddit for fun but occasionally saw people posting about buy/sell ad. I was not even aware of people wishing for second hand product since most of the time it ends up as scam. so this forum almost felt magical :laughing:

Back