New Touchscreen mobile suggestions?

mroy

Disciple
Budget - 15-20K (May stretch a bit more)

Form Factor - Bar

Display Type - Good quality - legibility in sunlight a must

Brand - No Apple. No Spice, Micromax etc.
Preffered Samsung, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Dell, Acer

Preferred Input - Touchscreen

Camera - Required, preferred with flash (may compromise)

OS - Android, Symbian

Connectivity - 3G, Wifi (should be able to tether to laptop as modem)

Intended use - Reading ebooks, games such as sudoku, mahjong, pinball etc
Light internet use when not in town to check emails, purchase tickets, internet banking
Playing movies and music.

I have considered to Samsung Galaxy S and SL, but do not know if they meet my criteria since I am unable to find a functional piece to review. All distributors seem to stock dummies.

Any other phone or brand is welcome (Apart from exceptions)

Galaxy S will absolutely meet your criteria and more :) Please do not consider Galaxy SL. Here is my recommendation:

1) Galaxy S (Personally have used the Indian version. Have used US variants like Vibrant, Captivate and Epic 4g)

Price - 19840 rs

Form Factor - Bar

Input - Touchscreen (Gorilla Glass and scratch resistant)

Display - Super Amoled. Unlimited viewing angles or as I am told. Absolutely brilliant legibility in direct sunlight

Brand - Samsung

Camera - Excellent camera at 5 MP with 720p Video recording and playback

OS - Android 2.3.4

Connectivity - 3G, Wifi b/g/n and also acts as wireless hotspots for other devices to connect

Usage - Brilliant for reading ebooks, playing games etc because of Super Amoled screen. Excellent video playback and plays MP4, AVI, MKV files with default video player with ease. Super Amoled screen is absolutely stunning with 720p videos. Audio is also brilliant with Wolfson DAC chip

Specs - Samsung I9000 Galaxy S - Full phone specifications

2) Google Nexus S (Personal experience as I own Nexus S)

Price - 19899 rs

Form Factor - Bar

Display - Super LCD so it has excellent screen resolution and good legibility in direct sunlight.

Brand - Google with Samsung

Input - Touch screen (Contour glass display/Anti Fingerprint Oleophobic surface/NOT GORILLA GLASS, SO prone to scratches if screen protector is not applied)

Camera - 5 MP with LED Flash, But no 720p recording. Also has Front camera for video calling

OS - Android 2.3.4 (2.3.5 already released for my Sprint Nexus S 4g and will soon to other models)

Connectivity - 3g, WiFi b/g/n and also wireless hotspot/tethering

Usage - Super LCD while a bit inferior to SAmoled (IMHO) is still excellent for reading ebooks, playing games and also for internet. For movies, it does not have dedicated video player but still you can download Rockplayer lite or VPlayer from market and play the files with ease. Audio is identical to Galaxy S so expect an excellent audio experience.

Other Advantages - Pure Google experience and on time or priority updates directly from google. With custom rom and modifications, it can absolutely turn into a beast.

Specs - Samsung Google Nexus S I9023 - Full phone specifications

3) LG Optimus 2X

Price - 19999 (maybe temporary price drop) or 23k

Form Factor - Bar

Display Type - IPS LCD with 16M colors, so it should have decent legibility in sunlight

Brand - LG

Input - Touchscreen (Gorilla glass and scratch resistant)

Camera - 8 MP with LED Flash that is capable of 1080p video recording and playback (please refer to specs for details) Also has Front camera for video calling

OS - Android 2.2 froyo but update is imminent

Connectivity - 3g, Wifi and also tethering/hotspot

Usage - Should handle all the tasks as per your requirement plus more. It has excellent video since it supports up to 1080p. Audio is also good but personally I found my Galaxy and Nexus to be better. Maybe I got used to it.

Other Advantages - It is a dual core phones so the performance is obviously going to be better than single core phones like Nexus S or Galaxy S.

Specs - LG Optimus 2X - Full phone specifications

4) Motorola Defy (It has been a darling phone for some members here in TE given the price and how it performs when modded)

Price - 14.5 k

Form Factor - Bar

Display Type - LCD screen with 16M colors, so should have decent legibility in direct sunlight

Brand - Motorola

Input - Touchscreen (Gorilla Glass and scratch resistant)

Camera - 5 MP camera with LED Flash. Not capable of 720p right out the box. Maybe with firmware tweaking or future updates

OS - Android Froyo 2.2 (But with custom mod, it is already running 2.3.3)

Connectivity - 3G and also WiFi tethering and hotspot

Usage - It has good LCD with 16m colors for books and games. Video is good but mixed opinions. Audio is also good but with mixed opinions.

Other Advantages - Long Lasting due to being the rugged water/dust proof phone in the market. How about "its the only water/dust proof in the market" So given the price and how long it lasts is a steal for some members.

Specs - Motorola DEFY - Full phone specifications

Other notables -

LG Optimus Black - Priced at 19.9k, it has specs similar to Motorola defy. Except that Defy processor is rated at 800 MHz and LG Optimus Black at 1 GHz. But gaming or video wise it is not worth it to buy it over Galaxy or Nexus S. Only advantage is that it has brightest display

Specs - LG Optimus Black P970 - Full phone specifications

Samsung Galaxy SL - Once again priced at 19.4k and similar to specs as LG Optimus black I would not recommend spending for it. Only advantage is that it has Super LCD screen.

Specs - Samsung I9003 Galaxy SL - Full phone specifications

Hope this helps.

Everyother person is asking the same ques and everyone gets the same answer-NEXUS S

Look no further than this phone.Best android experience....no crapware, huge XDA support: best bang for the buck. But remember nexus s does not have radio....

Galaxy s is also a great phone but lacks flash...

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

Galaxy S - if you want gorilla glass, 720p video recording instead of LED Flash and Gyro Sensor.
Nexus S - if you want LED flash & Gyro Sensor instead of 720p recording and Gorilla Glass.

Hi! all. Thanks for your suggestion.
I would like to throw in Nokia N8 into the mix and want to know your opinions. Has anyone any personal experience with this phone, specially for reading ebooks (all in pdf ) ??

My internet usage will only be once in a while, maybe to check FB account, do some internet banking or online purchase only when I am out of town, so maybe 3 times a year for 15 days each time. Otherwise all other activity will be offline.

I don't want minute to minute updates for FB and email etc.

In such a scenario, will the Nokia N8 do? I love the form factor and build. Also have heard it has excellent still and video recording capability.

Also keep hearing about a Samsung Galaxy S plus? Has it been released and any advantages over the S ?

I thought all the smartphones had a gyro or orientation sensor? Is the one on the Nexus more special?

I was also of the impression that all of them have scratch resistant Gorilla Glass?

Sorry for the inane questions, I have read about all this a lot but have no practical experience.

Madhabi

N8 will absolutely fit your requirements. N8 has excellent camera and the new update for it makes it look like an android. It does play videos and music files, but within limits. The reason why we choose Android over other OS is because of freedom you get. Even in this case N8 is excellent, but the apps and other minor differences make us overlook it for an Android device priced at same price range but does a lot more. For example, android can let you play any video files. You name it, it can play it with the help of third party video player. I sometimes copy the movies from my DVD to play it on my phone during travel. It lets me play .mkv, .mp4, .vob, .avi, .rmvb and much more. Also, the number of apps available in the market is absolutely brilliant. You got apps for anything and everything. Also you can sideload apps meaning you can download apps from online and copy it to your SD card and then install it. So you do not have to install apps only through phone or official. BUT BE CAREFUL OF APPS YOU SIDELOAD AS YOU MAY BE AT RISK OF MALWARE.

Galaxy S plus is different than normal Galaxy S. It was released recently so I do not know if it is available in India yet. Maybe it might have released. Galaxy S Plus has MSM 8255 processor clocked at 1.4 ghz than Galaxy S 1 ghz. Has different GPU of Adrenos 205 compared to PowerVr SGX 540. It is known around the industry that GPU in Galaxy S is far more better than any single core GPU and is on par with dual core GPU's. Also do not go by speed as Galaxy S processor can also be overclocked to run at 1.6 ghz. I am currently running at 1.44 ghz stable. The reason we suggest Galaxy S is because of GPU, Processor and also the Super Amoled screen. Remember GPU is also important for playback of HD videos.

Gyro sensor is different than orientation sensor. All smartphones have orientation sensor. But only two models has gyro sensor, One is Iphone 4 and Nexus S. While Gyro sensor is good to have. It is not a must or does it make Nexus S more special. Gyroscope will allow for more accurate recognition of movement within 3D space than the previous loan accelerometer found in other smartphones. The other reasons that makes Nexus S special is: NFC (Mobile Wallet), Developer Phone branding, Fast updates and straight support from Google.

Nope, only some models have gorilla glass. Please note that having gorilla glass or not having gorilla glass, every screen can get scratched with usage. It is more scratch resistant than other glass or normal screens. Some have special screens that is not gorilla glass but still scratch resistant. In this case Nexus S has scratch resistant but not gorilla glass. It is a known fact that gorilla glass is able to withstand against harsh use. So getting a model with gorilla glass will give you piece of mind. Like I said, gorilla glass or not, having a screen protector will give you more peace than risking it.

Thanks for prompt reply.

I am leaning towards the Galaxy S I9000 after your reply and after having seen the pics taken with night mode by another user (sorry i don't recall the name, someone whose name starts with e). I do watch movies while traveling and at present I have an aging ipaq(pocket pc only) which I use.
The only thing putting me off the Nexus S is the lack of memory slot.

The only thing which tempts me towards the N8 is the camera, but since the phone cam will be used only in circumstances when I cannot pull out my digicam from my purse, I can make do without flash etc.

Thank you all for the help you have given. Any other thoughts and suggestions are also welcome.

Madhabi

@Aradhkar:

very detailed reply. me like it.

However, could you comment about the GPS issue with SGS? Is it sorted out in recent batches or same crappy?

Thats the only grouse I have with Galaxy S, as I extensively use mobile GPS and navigation.

Thanks,

ABhishek M

mail2abhi81 said:
@Aradhkar:
very detailed reply. me like it.
However, could you comment about the GPS issue with SGS? Is it sorted out in recent batches or same crappy?
Thats the only grouse I have with Galaxy S, as I extensively use mobile GPS and navigation.

Thanks,
ABhishek M
Yes, I have also heard that navigation with Ovi Maps is excellent. Can someone give details how the Android phones are regarding GPS and navigation??

Madhabi

@OP - SGS might have some bugs in GPS tracking. Mostly i'm in custom rom for the past few months, so I really can't comment. Better ask someone who his in stock firmware whether the GPS is working fine

Not bad, but overpriced. Look at Desire HD, S or even Incredible S priced at 25k or above, whereas Galaxy S and Nexus S which has powerful gpu with better screens priced at 19k. Also you will not see a lot of people recommending sony xperia arc or play as they are also grossly overpriced and I am beginning to think what sony have in their mind to price a single core phone equivalent to dual cores like sammy s2 or even more than lg 2x.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@mail2abhi81:

Current new Galaxy S do not have GPS bugs. Even my Samsung captivate build number 1010 (MFR Date: December 06, 2010) has been perfect in gps. While I need internet, the gps lock has been atleast accurate to 100 ft. Also the google maps work perfectly with data connection. So you can buy the recent ones with confident.

The only thing is if you read the other thread referred by "RS4" is that OVI maps work much faster and also in small towns due to maps preloaded in SD card as opposed to Android maps which requires WiFi or Data connection.

Back