Nexus 4 or Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5

Switch

Skilled
Hey guys,

I am upgrading from iPhone 4 and the only reason for the upgrade is real estate otherwise I am really happy with my phone. The main things which I want in my next upgrade is...

1. More screen size
2. Better camera
3. Faster
4. Better battery life then iPhone 4
5. iPhone like gaming experience(I know this is tricky hence can be overlooked to an extent).

I am not very but still familiar with android ecosystem(wifey owns a galaxy SL) which she hates :p. I play mostly popular mobile games like cut the rope, temple run, subway surfers, angry birds etc and not really gfx intensive games like the infinity blade etc though the upcoming real racing looks delicious.

I surf the net and use YouTube and Twitter mainly on my iPhone. More then my iPad. I use my phone camera for my work quite frequently and though picture quality is not really important the images which the camera should capture should be sharp and should show details correctly. Camera will mainly be used indoors with well lit interiors.

Those are my requirements. What fits the bill perfectly.

Nexus 4 is faster, will get all the updates for at-least 2 years. The screen is debatable as I personally prefer the natural blacks of a S-AMOLED. Its a no brainer if you are getting it from the US.

Android ecosystem has improved by leaps and bounds since Gingerbread days. Since you are a techie, you will love the freedom android gives you, install custom ROMs set custom DPI's for different apps, and basically do whatever with the UI per your taste. You are not wrong when you state that IOS just works out of the box, but with a little bit of tinkering Android might give you a better experience. The games you have listed are readily available on Android, sure it is a long way from IOS's repertoire of games but is closing fast.

And no I-Tunes :)

@OP sorry for posting my query here.
Guys, i am planning to get Nexus 4 16GB version from my friend who is coming from US.
I would like to know does it global warranty and is it supported to have global warranty in India or do we need to buy Global Warranty, if so how much it may cost.

Why is there such a price difference in the LG Nexus phone, between USA and India. In USA, the 8 GB version is going for 299$ (approximately 16k) whereas in India its going for 23.5k - 7.5k more. Is this going to reduce or is this the official price?

Why is there such a price difference in the LG Nexus phone, between USA and India. In USA, the 8 GB version is going for 299$ (approximately 16k) whereas in India its going for 23.5k - 7.5k more. Is this going to reduce or is this the official price?
In the US, Google is selling them at no profit/breakeven coz they might be aiming at content sales that these devices might fetch.
In India unfortunately, users are still reluctant to buy apps even when they are priced as low as Rs.5. They still prefer getting them for *free* and hence the high price IMO to make up for the lack of content sales.

@Switch

If you have sort of immersed yourself in iOS and are invested (in terms of app purchases) then i would suggest iPhone 5. But in case you have never seen the iPhone 5 in person it is not really that big when compared to the iPhone 4/4S and the taller screen is bit weird IMO. So you might not get that "large screen phone" feeling. Most of the other things are same like camera (don't go for that sapphire glass gimmick) etc and mostly if you are currently jailbroken you will miss your jailbreak tweaks.

On the other hand if you want to try out another android device (not those cheaper subpar ones) then you can either see the Note 2 or the S3. I handled the note 2 here in the local store and i actually liked it quite a lot. It is smooth enough like iPhone but i am not really sure what will happen with more apps and other things filling up in the phone, i cannot comment more as i have not used these for prolonged time.

LG Nexus is definitely a hit worldwide and was sold out soon everywhere. For native android experience this is the best bet but do not expect US prices in India. The 8GB is either sold cost to cost or at a loss since google knows people here in US will pay for stuff and online content delivery. This is is not true in case of India so costs will be more and the price of nexus 4 when officially launched will definitely be more than 20K for 8GB model if and when launched.

On a person note, i got converted from android to iOS but my previous phone was ZTE Blade and it is not correct to compare my android experience which was more of Froyo and GB ROMs but i only went to iOS after i liked it on my wife's iPhone 4. As of now i am content with iPhone but i plan to use my phone for video viewing so in future if i feel the iPhone does not cut for me, i will switch to android rather than iPhone 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Care to explain, or should this statement be within [sarcasm][/sarcasm]
Actually it is a no brainer if getting from US. The price is half of other competitors, its the fastest android phone by a margin (in some benchmarks atleast 2X faster then S3). It has a beautiful screen, and its a google phone, so faster updates and support for a longer period. Google galaxy Nexus got Jelly Bean, whereas phones in that era are stuck on GB.

Care to explain, or should this statement be within [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

no not sarcasm,it's the fastest phone there is currently for a very cheap price,not to mention wireless charging(the geek factor) and the update support it will be getting....,among the mentioned choices it's just the best in every aspect,so really nexus 4= no brainer.

Here is one of the articles highlighting the poor interior build quality of Nexus 4.... I am not against Nexus 4 as I too like the device, but this should be a concern given the cheaper price

LG Nexus 4 Has Its Fair Share Of Disadvantages | Autoomobile

The build should be a concern as while the exterior is stunning, the internals of the phone are not. This was brought to people’s attention by a member at XDA who said that the way the device was put together inside wasn’t similar to other high end devices. It lacked crash impact zones and utilized glue instead of joints to hold certain components together that would otherwise move over time.
Many people have rushed out and bought the device (or tried to) just because it has the Nexus name and it comes with a low price tag. Google have subsidised the price tag to $299 and if you can’t get it from the Play Store then you will have to get it on a contract of two years with T-Mobile for $199. However you can get the iPhone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy S3 on contract for this price and these both have LTE and a longer life battery.

Here is one of the articles highlighting the poor interior build quality of Nexus 4.... I am not against Nexus 4 as I too like the device, but this should be a concern given the cheaper price

LG Nexus 4 Has Its Fair Share Of Disadvantages | Autoomobile

The AT review mentions that build quality is just fine. However, the Nexus 4 does has a few cons - apart from the fixed storage and average camera, the phone is not yet in AOSP, also it seems that usb-otg is not supported at all :(

I would vote for S3. The phone is big enough to make u use 2 hands and not so huge to cover one side of your face totally. Although I can buy any phone that is available in the market, I do not feel like changing my S2. But if something was to happen to my S2 I would surely go for the S3. TBH I play mostly the games u play and they do not hang on the S2. So they can easily be handled by the S3.

I feel the Note2's is weird because despite the increased screen size the resolution of the screen is lesser than Note (1280x720 as compared to Note's 1280x800). The S3 has a ~306 ppi as opposed to the ~267 ppi on the Note2.

With Nexus 4, my personal fear is shattering the back plate. The back plate is so gorgeous, whose beauty would be ruined if we were to put a case on the phone. And if the phone were not in a case and fell onto the ground it might shatter and break completely. So I would not go for the Nexus 4.

Last but not the least. You are the buyer. We can only share our opinion. Finally you need to decide what suits your needs the most and go for it. :)
Best luck with the purchase.

I would vote for S3. The phone is big enough to make u use 2 hands and not so huge to cover one side of your face totally. Although I can buy any phone that is available in the market, I do not feel like changing my S2. But if something was to happen to my S2 I would surely go for the S3. TBH I play mostly the games u play and they do not hang on the S2. So they can easily be handled by the S3.

I feel the Note2's is weird because despite the increased screen size the resolution of the screen is lesser than Note (1280x720 as compared to Note's 1280x800). The S3 has a ~306 ppi as opposed to the ~267 ppi on the Note2.

With Nexus 4, my personal fear is shattering the back plate. The back plate is so gorgeous, whose beauty would be ruined if we were to put a case on the phone. And if the phone were not in a case and fell onto the ground it might shatter and break completely. So I would not go for the Nexus 4.

Last but not the least. You are the buyer. We can only share our opinion. Finally you need to decide what suits your needs the most and go for it. :)

Taking out what he wrote about Note 2, I agree with him completely.

Check all of them out and buy what suits you the most. @raksrules also pointed out the IOS ecosystem so you would have to make the call whether to continue with IOS or move to Droid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isn't the back plate of Nexus 4 made out of gorilla glass? Gorilla glass is difficult to break.

OT:
How can I buy the Google Play Store Nexus 4 at 299 dollars guys? I tried buying it from Nexus 4 but it says its not available in India.

I want to pay via CC and have it delivered to my brother in the US, who is coming to India in December.

Back