NFS Series to be Discontinued?

knoughtyd

Skilled
There is no official confirmation about on this news yet but it seems Electronic Arts is considering axing the Need for Speed series for good.:p

According to The Electronic Playground EA has canceled all NFS games in production after the debacle that was Need for Speed Undercover. And it’s not just Undercover. Even since Most Wanted this series has been going downhill. I think Undercover just broke the camel’s back.

Source:Tech2

knoughtyd said:
There is no official confirmation about on this news yet but it seems Electronic Arts is considering axing the Need for Speed series for good.:p

If it's true....Wohooo! :clap: Serves them right for going all Fast and the Furious after Hot Pursuit 2 :p They should have stuck to their classic formula - Select car > Select track > Have fun. Instead, they went the other way - let users put stupid stickers and paints to their cars so they can do 500 mph in 2 seconds and brake to 0 in 1.

cyberjunkie said:
If it's true....Wohooo! :clap: Serves them right for going all Fast and the Furious after Hot Pursuit 2 :p They should have stuck to their classic formula - Select car > Select track > Have fun. Instead, they went the other way - let users put stupid stickers and paints to their cars so they can do 500 mph in 2 seconds and brake to 0 in 1.

yup they should have stuck to the formula. choose fast cars and race them in exotic locales.

I hope they do it.... & come up with something different for now...

They can return to the series after 5-7 years with something new for a change.... Limited edition maybe....

Why is it sad? As it is the series was not offering anything new. You just want to play it coz it is NFS?

Its time to try out the other racing games.

Yeah, revisiting this after everyone has forgotten the failure that was NFS undercover makes sense.

While NFS makes good business sense, this is definitely not a time for another sequel.

Well, i think its sad if this were to be true. :(

NFS was not just a name for a very successful franchise but it was at the heart of every racing fan. I still remember playing nfs 90's versions and being starstruck. Even today, in many cybercafes around, u'll find kids enjoying and having hell lot of fun from the old nfs series. :)

The only reason i am disaapointed is Prostreet. Undercover could have been better if only the performance would have been optimized by EA. Everywhere u keep hearing nothing but performance issues about Undercover. The races are good enough with special attentionbeing to the Highway chases which are awesome. :eek:hyeah:

I don't think it's time for closing in on the franchise but needs better optimization and some beautiful locales to race on. Dat's it and the series will again buck up.

NFS is not for every racing fan but it's for those who are concerned about nothing but driving like hell in the game. For those who choose to play NFS just for sheer speed and enjoy it and dis counts for a lot lot of the racing fans. If i want to drive seriously with damage control, i would do that on the street...:p In my opinion, NFS should live...

Suspended would be the right word actually. Seeing as how the last game affected the stock prices EA wouldn't want to release another debacle under the franchise under these economic situations. Needless to say either the franchise will be "re-booted" i.e. get back to it's roots or a new franchise might be created once the conditions allow for it.

SharekhaN said:
Yeah, revisiting this after everyone has forgotten the failure that was NFS undercover makes sense.
While NFS makes good business sense, this is definitely not a time for another sequel.

NFS stopped making good business sense. That is the reason behind the decision. The last few games have been flopping, and did not make good business sense.

i play NFS 40 % for storyline and 60 % for racing

i till know no racing game is better than NFS in terms of storyline

and grid is more like driving simulater game

i know if the graphics of NFS comes out to be like grid and rest NFS type

it would the best racing game ever

While I have pretty much hated the last few NFS games, this is very sad.

I hope as Bladey said, it's just suspended and not discontinued.

NFS has a lot of good memories for all of us and it would be sad to see it die.

If NFS is around, EVERY gamer is still optimistic. However bad the previous games were, I am optimistic EVERY time a new one os released.

They should just make one last good NFS game. NFS: Ferrari Unleashed. The EXACT same team who worked on Porsche should work on this. That will be the right game to kickstart the franchise.

Back