NFS Series to be Discontinued?

Nikhil said:
They should just make one last good NFS game. NFS: Ferrari Unleashed. The EXACT same team who worked on Porsche should work on this. That will be the right game to kickstart the franchise.

+1 to that. :hap2: :hap2:

the first thing NFS folks need to do is study the Most Wanted Engine ... no doubt prosh1t sucked ... and they made a mistake of using the same engine here as well ... hence the bad optimization and stuff ... even today the most wanted engine will give gfx better than any NFS game ..esp undercover ... i dont understand y these guys are using the pro street engine and forcing the people to accept and adapt to their new engine.... its gud that they came to the theme of MW .. that IMO made this game better than Prosh1t ... had it been the MW engine ..it could hav been an awesome experience...

lets hope EA guys get the Msg and develop a true NFS:MW 2 ... not any Prosh1t 1.5

IMHO the degradation of game quality is a symptom of the console boom. This doesnt only apply to NFS, but Undercover is a prime example of whats wrong with the status quo. The effect of this console age is two-fold:

1. Since current-gen console games have a lower rate of piracy than PC games, companies opt to develop for the console as a higher priority since most of the profits are there. Then porting to the PC ends up taking a back seat, and the reduced development cycles of these games in the past few years isnt helping much when there are even more platforms to code for. This leads to badly performing games on PC's which are more than capable of running them at even higher graphics quality levels than the game can provide. Also, it leads to situations like in NFS Undercover where even though there is a huge tricity map to run around in, its populated like a ghost town which was probably a programming decision made so that the lower specced consoles could handle it. Ofcourse during the port, no attempt was made to scale this up, even as an option.

2) This generation of consoles has made it 'cool' for people who formerly mocked 'gamers' to get into gaming. While i have no problem with this, game developers have started pandering to the newcomers by making the bar-for-entry into many games so low that older gamers are not being challenged, nor are being given the option to be. This is seen in the lack of difficulty settings in NFS:UC which is a terribly easy game to complete. And even the much-loved Prince of Persia series has fallen into its clutches. Single enemy battles with onscreen button guides at key moments, the inability to die or make mistakes is an insult to the capacity of gamers, and is pandering to the gaming-infants since publishers are afraid that too high a difficulty setting would put them off gaming completely, thereby losing out on their newfound demographic.

All in all, since this boom is just beginning, things are definitely going to get worse before they get better (if at all). It depends on a lot of factors, one being how quickly these neophytes' mature and wether or not they demand higher standards from game companies. Another is that developers should realize that designing for the PC first, and then scaling down ports for the consoles will always result in a cumulatively higher quality product across the board.

[/rant]

my 2 red cents.

I miss the good old days of NFS i.e. the first few versions. The last one I played was UG2. NFS imo lost the plot when they decided to go 'street' instead of sticking with the old formula - exotic cars, great locales etc.

They could have spun-off Underground into its own series to continue with the street theme.

EA should take survey, What peoples in their dream Racing game.. Then they can get idea about need of peoples...

I think this way they can regain the fame of NFS.

They should take a really long break from the NFS series.. According to me they have reached a point in the life span of the NFs series where even if they bring out an above average racing game, ppl will still find faults in it..... I think we have reached a saturation point in the NFS series....

I remember the time when I used to wait eagerly fro the next NFS game to come out ......

I started with NFS 2 , then NFS3 (the best NFS game according to me ) .... the last NFS game I really liked was NFS: Underground..... NFS: Most wanted was just about ok....

But games after that namely

CARBON!!! (yuck)

ProStreet!!! (double yuck)

Undercover (I haven't played it yet .. but from what I have heard its not a killer game either)....

So whats left to do.... The games are getting repetitive and boring....

And I really don't understand EA's idea abt trying to put a storyline into a RACING game!!!

I play a Racing game to RACE and to get a sense of adrenaline rush ..I really do not think seeing crappy acting on screen will help me in that regard....

As already mentioned earlier by many in this thread.. They should just go back to the menu system(if at all they decide to come back)...Select car.....(modding is fine ..i guess).Select track...Select mode.... RACE!!!

EA should get some of the Crytek guys consulting EA racing dev teams. If they can make a beautiful looking racing game with game mechanics and storyline like most wanted, then i would be happy

I dont like NFS to take any simulator route , we have Simbin and codemasters for it

damn man... they were one of the best games i have ever played... like racing games a lot... neways... i hope they completely dont axe it... maybe have a game say like 3 or 4 years down the line... have a really kick-ass idea to it as well...

for me nfs went downhill ....once they opted for neon lights and night underground racing scene.....i always liked the time when u cud race around sceninc locatins....nfs 2345 and 6....nfs 2se,nfs 5 and 6 were the best..

i really like nfs till underground. after that everything they did seemed to be a repetition. nfs 5 was simply awesome. had a lot of fun with nfs 4 too.

as blade said, the game should be suspended. ea should rethink and try to come up with something different.

Till now i played whole of NFS series except the prostreet....had it installd but didnt actually feel like playing it after few races...:|. particularly NFS undercover i liked it over the carbon and prostreet..

Meesa jus want remake of porsche unleashed or ferrari unleashed:D....arcade racing with lil bit of simulation flavor and some interesting story line like most wanted...graphics like GRID, gameplay like NFS 5 or NFSMW, Story of NFS most wanted, muzik like NFS underground1. :D

forum67 said:
after most wanted....all of them sucked...........need good graphics like GRID

I AGREE.............man after the MW series they spoiled the whole flavour of the game... :mad: i m having kinda mixed feelings though :huh: its good if they finally end NFS if they continue 2 make such crap titles...but i feel it shud be give one more chance :) and c whether they learn from their mistakes...after all thats wot life is all abt... ;)

Its good if the news is real..

How can a good game be developed in only 10 months or so..

They need whole new rethinking.. from the scratch..

Back