No boot, fans spins for a sec and stops

vikundefined

Disciple
I was facing random issues with desktop not booting up for past few weeks, powering off and powering on worked on those occasions. But yesterday the desktop just refused to boot, fans spins for a sec and stops.
There are so many videos on YouTube for this issue and so many different solutions, but non worked for me. I have tried resetting CMOS, taking out ram, tried using different PSU. It seems like its the motherboard has gone bad. Not want to go for a new system at them moment, looking for options to get it repaired. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Desktop specs-
Core i5 3450
Asus pb8mle
Corsair 4gb 1600*2
Corsair cx450

If the PSU is CX450(black grey) then it is pretty new compared to Mobo, processor. There is a possibility of damage to Mobo done by your previous PSU(if it is a elcheapo one). Check socket pins also there may be bent pins which can cause this issue. Try testing on a wooden table to make sure case is not shorting.

Had same problem, it's the mobo
If its not too old get it repaired if un repairable then get a new one I guess.
My pc was 8 years old and had got it repaired once a few years back, this time the repair guys said it better to buy new as we dont have the parts now to repair.

Before taking to repair, you can check if the CPU fan is seated properly, or if the heatsink is getting hot. Because of heating also, PC might not boot. So, just check. Maybe the thermal paste needs to be replaced.

But yea, if it is spinning just for a second, might be the mobo is the issue.

Your CPU is 3rd generation like mine. Maybe you built it around 2013 or so. I also built around same time with Intel i3-3220. Now, it seems like I might have to go for an upgrade, as PC has started to run slow a bit, and the back USB ports aren't working at all. So, if your mobo has gone bad, think about buying a new build, if it is possible.

If the PSU is CX450(black grey) then it is pretty new compared to Mobo, processor. There is a possibility of damage to Mobo done by your previous PSU(if it is a elcheapo one). Check socket pins also there may be bent pins which can cause this issue. Try testing on a wooden table to make sure case is not shorting.
Yes, got a new PSU last year. Previous PSU was cx430 which died. Socket pins are all good, will take out the mobo today and try on a wooden box.

Had same problem, it's the mobo
If its not too old get it repaired if un repairable then get a new one I guess.
My pc was 8 years old and had got it repaired once a few years back, this time the repair guys said it better to buy new as we dont have the parts now to repair.
My pc was working good for my needs as I had it hooked up to Tv and used for online content consumption. I know my mobo is too old, if I can't get it repaired then I would have to go for new mobo, ram and cpu.

Before taking to repair, you can check if the CPU fan is seated properly, or if the heatsink is getting hot. Because of heating also, PC might not boot. So, just check. Maybe the thermal paste needs to be replaced.

But yea, if it is spinning just for a second, might be the mobo is the issue.

Your CPU is 3rd generation like mine. Maybe you built it around 2013 or so. I also built around same time with Intel i3-3220. Now, it seems like I might have to go for an upgrade, as PC has started to run slow a bit, and the back USB ports aren't working at all. So, if your mobo has gone bad, think about buying a new build, if it is possible.
Yes the CPU is seated properly, when I started facing random no boot issues i did monitor the CPU temp and it was in the range. I know pc is old but with 8gb ram and ssd i could stream 4k videos with no issues so was quite satisfied.
But I guess I would have to assemble a new pc now.

Yes the CPU is seated properly, when I started facing random no boot issues i did monitor the CPU temp and it was in the range. I know pc is old but with 8gb ram and ssd i could stream 4k videos with no issues so was quite satisfied.
Can't you buy a used/refurbished lga 1155 mobo? I'm sure most pc stores actually sell them.

I was facing random issues with desktop not booting up for past few weeks, powering off and powering on worked on those occasions. But yesterday the desktop just refused to boot, fans spins for a sec and stops.
There are so many videos on YouTube for this issue and so many different solutions, but non worked for me. I have tried resetting CMOS, taking out ram, tried using different PSU. It seems like its the motherboard has gone bad. Not want to go for a new system at them moment, looking for options to get it repaired. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had faced similar issue with Gigabyte mobo multiple times. I had gfx card on PCI-E slot,
I had tried removing the card or sometimes replacing it with something else, like sound card and the PC booted up .

This solution worked for me many times. I think it resets the BIOS or something, but strangely worked for me.
It was quite an irritating issue.

Just remove and install the CPU again, this time keep the CPU cooler just a bit loose, don't screw it very hard. Sometimes this trick works. Good luck

I know that feeling. My computer is also running fine mostly. But yes, the back panel USB ports are all dead... don't know why. Also, the computer runs a bit slow... I think it is because the hard disk churns a lot. Maybe the hard drive is also getting old, or maybe it is the heavy Windows 10 OS. Or maybe, even fragmentation of hard drive. It does indicate that I might have to build a new PC soon. I will try to keep this one going though as far as I can. Let's see.

Just remove and install the CPU again, this time keep the CPU cooler just a bit loose, don't screw it very hard. Sometimes this trick works. Good luck

That's a bit strange. If the CPU cooler is kept loose, the CPU will heat up quickly and the PC will shut down. It might also cause CPU damage if the temperature goes too high.

My pc was working good for my needs as I had it hooked up to Tv and used for online content consumption. I know my mobo is too old, if I can't get it repaired then I would have to go for new mobo, ram and cpu.
Yep that's what I had to do myself recently.
Apart from the screen.. I upgraded everything else..
If the mobo is indeed faulty nd not repairable easily.. Better to stray a WTB thread here and see if someone has a spare Compatible one which can suffice your needs for now.
I wasn't lucky in this regard as my processor was first generation i5 1156... Yours seems 3rd gen someone must be having a spare..
Before buying and upgrading everything afresh give WTB thread a go

Yep that's what I had to do myself recently.
Apart from the screen.. I upgraded everything else..
If the mobo is indeed faulty nd not repairable easily.. Better to stray a WTB thread here and see if someone has a spare Compatible one which can suffice your needs for now.
I wasn't lucky in this regard as my processor was first generation i5 1156... Yours seems 3rd gen someone must be having a spare..
Before buying and upgrading everything afresh give WTB thread a go
Yes, I was also thinking for the same and create a thread. I want to keep using the same hardware as long as possible because even if I go for new hardware my usage will be the same.

I know that feeling. My computer is also running fine mostly. But yes, the back panel USB ports are all dead... don't know why. Also, the computer runs a bit slow... I think it is because the hard disk churns a lot. Maybe the hard drive is also getting old, or maybe it is the heavy Windows 10 OS. Or maybe, even fragmentation of hard drive. It does indicate that I might have to build a new PC soon. I will try to keep this one going though as far as I can. Let's see.

That's a bit strange. If the CPU cooler is kept loose, the CPU will heat up quickly and the PC will shut down. It might also cause CPU damage if the temperature goes too high.
If you're pc is running slow then you should definitely upgrade to SSD. When I upgraded to evo 960 it made my pc like new.

Sometime it happens when some RAM slot goes bad. Remove both your RAM sticks and start inserting a single stick starting from slot one and see if the system boots up. Repeat it with other RAM. Generally if the motherboard is faulty the system fan will not spin at all or the system will be stuck at windows logo.

System will clear the POST screen or may even boot and it will shut down only after 15-20 seconds even if you don't use a CPU cooler. It won't heat so quickly like with just a push of power button.
I never meant to keep the CPU cooler loose , it's just like don't over tighten it, sometimes we screw it a bit hard.
I 've experienced similar issues, and last year it happened with my current System with ryzen 1600, exactly the same Fan spins off then stops. So after trying all those methods like cleaning , swapping ram, clearing CMOS etc. and all kind of trouble shooting.
this trick worked and there was nothing wrong with any of my other components. Must try this.

If you're pc is running slow then you should definitely upgrade to SSD. When I upgraded to evo 960 it made my pc like new.

Thanks for the suggestion :).
System will clear the POST screen or may even boot and it will shut down only after 15-20 seconds even if you don't use a CPU cooler. It won't heat so quickly like with just a push of power button.
I never meant to keep the CPU cooler loose , it's just like don't over tighten it, sometimes we screw it a bit hard.
I 've experienced similar issues, and last year it happened with my current System with ryzen 1600, exactly the same Fan spins off then stops. So after trying all those methods like cleaning , swapping ram, clearing CMOS etc. and all kind of trouble shooting.
this trick worked and there was nothing wrong with any of my other components. Must try this.

You are using AMD Ryzen, which as you say must be using the screw method for CPU heatsink.

OP is using Intel processor, which does not have a screw system. Intel processors come with another type of system, where you just have to push the plastic bit and turn it to lock the CPU heatsink. So, he won't be able to keep it a bit loose like AMD heatsinks.

Back