CPU/Mobo Noisy CPU fan

rahulhbk

Disciple
May 19, 2006
Hi friends,
I've a Core 2 DUo E7300 system with a very loud CPU fan. It has lately started making a LOT of noise. Seems to me that i should take it out and oil it or somethng but ofcourse have never had any occasion to do something like this.
From what i know it should be replaced by a new one which i'm having a hard time finding in Bhopal. But if oiling/greasing it is possible, which i seriously doubt, then how do i go about that? Else, some pointers to shops in Bhopal who sell these fans (i'm not looking to get anything above 1k so no thermaltake etc) will be really helpful.

Rahul

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
Oiling/Greasing.....??? :O

U should get a new stock heatsink locally.... that is the best option.

In case u do not want to spend too much, get a small (32gm) spray can of WD-40. Costs Rs.60/- & using the pipe/nozzle provided, spray a sufficient amount into the sleeve bearing of the fan. WD-40 lubricates & frees up & prevents corrosion.

Be careful not to overspray as it is a liquid that would flow out of the fan & fall over ur mobo..... No harm as such buy it doesn't evaporate & dust sticks to it in the long run..... :eek:hyeah:

I have done this before for my friend's PIII PC...... As it was a PIII, he was not interested in buying a new heatsink.....!!! :ashamed:

Faraz

Skilled
Sep 18, 2009
Bhopal
Maybe your thermal paste dried up.

My 965BE's was running hot because my thermal paste dried up and hence my cpu cooler fan was running at very high rpm making a lot of noises.

When i cleaned it and applied new one it was back to normal :)

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Oct 7, 2009
Top Gear Test Track
Try getting a low end cpu hsf---coolermaster makes intel HSFs. You can get them in most computer shops. They cost around Rs.350-600. If you desire something more effective when it comes to cooling as well as performance do take a look at Coolermaster's Hyper TX-3. It looks exactly like the CM 212 Hyper+ and it retails for Rs.1150-1300(With 1Yr warranty).

rahulhbk

Disciple
May 19, 2006
@ nehaladsul : yea dat was my reaction too abt oiling/greasing :p But i figured wts d harm in asking. And d system is never overclocked or anything so i didnt wanna get a 1k+ aftermarket thingy for it..

@sunny/faraz : its damn near impossible to find anything like thermal paste and HSFs in bhopal shops widout paying double the cost for them (read 1k+ for stock HSFs :S )

Guess i'll have to buy it when i get back to bangalore. :(
Thanks for the help guys :)

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
Till then u can try WD-40.... It is available at any hardware shop.... And by hardware I don't mean Computer hardware but just any electronics & hardware shop.

panther

Adept
Nov 17, 2007
Trying lowering your fan speed from the BIOS, i.e cpu smart control. Errrrrrrrrr i would discourage using WD 40, it is a lousy lubricant, it was meant for on purpose waster displacement.