WP Nokia Lumia 520 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Party Monger

Skilled
The much hyped Lumia 520 is starting to get available in the market!
Seeing how popular it is in flipkart and other places I thought i'd open this thread.

Check here for pictures of this sexy beast -> http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/25/4027008/nokia-lumia-520-hands-on-photos
I'l be buying it once detailed reviews are out. Probably in the next 10 -15 days!

lumia520handsonnew1_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

If you are new to WP8 a few tips here might help- > http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/25-windows-phone-8-tips-50009906/
Must have Apps -

Please post your favourite apps with link to the apps store.

I will be buying this one. Just had a hands-on on Nokia Lumia 620 and I just liked it.
But considering the budget I have, will go for Nokia Lumia 520.

Dad wanted a good smartphone after having a look at my 920 last time I was home. Looks like I'll get him the 520. He can live with a lesser specd processor, no front cam and no flash for the primary cam.

He will be switching from the E63 to this one. I am only worried how long would it take for him to get used to the touchscreen based device!

Dad wanted a good smartphone after having a look at my 920 last time I was home. Looks like I'll get him the 520. He can live with a lesser specd processor, no front cam and no flash for the primary cam.

He will be switching from the E63 to this one. I am only worried how long would it take for him to get used to the touchscreen based device!

The next time you go home let him explore your device for a day or two and you pick up some other random handset which might be there in your home.

The next time you go home let him explore your device for a day or two and you pick up some other random handset which might be there in your home.

Actually I was planning to pick up the phone and go home (May 25 to be precise). But that's okay, since I can let him use my 920 for sometime and get him the 520 from there if he's comfortable with it. :p

I am getting one for the missus tonight. Will enquire about the shells. Getting a Cyan one as the Priority dealers insists that the Yellow model is still not available.

I have ordered Yellow for my sis.. will receive it in couple of days. She was using Optimus 7 for almost 2 years. So she prefers WP over other options :)
Got it for 9449 via eBay (HDFC 7.5% up to 750 coupon). But LBT in Pune means it will increase to 10k easily.. Still not a bad deal. I will post a brief review this weekend :)

My friend just bought a Lumia 520. Having checked it a bit, I can tell you. It is the best in Budget! Performance is very snappy..
Even I am planning to save some cash by buying it! Awesome price for the phone. Maybe I will buy it tomorrow itself ;)

Got the phone last night. Paid Rs.9999 inclusive of 1 year insurance against theft, water and physical damage from New India Assurance worth Rs.150. Did not have time to go through the T&C yet.
First impressions :
1. Premium looks and feel, light weight and add-on covers for customization. Made in China.
2. Snazzy, faster than my L800, many new features over WP 7.8.
3. Big 4" screen is super responsive and the display is pretty crisp as well , fingerprint magnet.
4. Minimalistic package, only as big as the phone itself. No complaints however.
5. Proximity and ambient light sensors present. Excellent visibility indoors, special settings for outdoor use.
6. Lag free operations, games run super smooth. Asphalt 7 Heat is now available for WP 8 devices with 512 mb ram! Runs butter smooth on the L520.
7. Run of the mill camera. Nothing to cheer about here. Will try outdoor photography during the weekend.
8. Hardware buttons look more premium than the chromified ones in the L800. Better to use too. Capacitive buttons not backlit.
9. Too early to comment, but the battery backup might be a dampner, charges up ultra quick though.
10. No scratch guard applied by nokia, none available aftermarket.
11. Missus is happy and busy with her new toy, time to capitalize on that. Too much gaming backlog!

2eq70v8.jpg

Update: A very important and welcome change from WP 7.8 noticed. Direct copy paste allowed from PC to Phone/Memory Card. Zune no longer required for adding music/video files. Moreover the phone can play 720p videos without the tedious conversion process. Tried mkv and avi formats and videos play smoothly on the phone.

Awesome phone.. My friend bought it, I liked it alot. Today I have it in my hands!!
No cam to take pics, sorry for that. Will try to get a pic by tom :)

Initial Impressions: Love it! Coming from a Droid.

Got the phone last night. Paid Rs.9999 inclusive of 1 year insurance against theft, water and physical damage from New India Assurance worth Rs.150. Did not have time to go through the T&C yet.
First impressions :
1. Premium looks and feel, light weight and add-on covers for customization. Made in China.
2. Snazzy, faster than my L800, many new features over WP 7.8.
3. Big 4" screen is super responsive and the display is pretty crisp as well , fingerprint magnet.
4. Minimalistic package, only as big as the phone itself. No complaints however.
5. Proximity and ambient light sensors present. Excellent visibility indoors, special settings for outdoor use.
6. Lag free operations, games run super smooth. Asphalt 7 Heat is now available for WP 8 devices with 512 mb ram! Runs butter smooth on the L520.
7. Run of the mill camera. Nothing to cheer about here. Will try outdoor photography during the weekend.
8. Hardware buttons look more premium than the chromified ones in the L800. Better to use too. Capacitive buttons not backlit.
9. Too early to comment, but the battery backup might be a dampner, charges up ultra quick though.
10. No scratch guard applied by nokia, none available aftermarket.
11. Missus is happy and busy with her new toy, time to capitalize on that. Too much gaming backlog!

2eq70v8.jpg

Update: A very important and welcome change from WP 7.8 noticed. Direct copy paste allowed from PC to Phone/Memory Card. Zune no longer required for adding music/video files. Moreover the phone can play 720p videos without the tedious conversion process. Tried mkv and avi formats and videos play smoothly on the phone.

Congrats on the purchase mate!
Is the OS smoother than droids with same hardware configuration?
How is the battery life / in hours (with moderate usage)?

Moreover the phone can play 720p videos without the tedious conversion process. Tried mkv and avi formats and videos play smoothly on the phone.
I heard that Windows 8 Phones do not support mkv file playback,
which player are you using? the default one?

I heard that Windows 8 Phones do not support mkv file playback,
which player are you using? the default one?

You have rightly pointed out. I intended to write MP4(and not MKV) and AVI. Thanks for correcting.
The phone is way smoother than say a Galaxy S (only Droid I have used in this price range). Now, that most limitations of WP 7.5 seems to be done away with, I am contemplating exchanging my L800 for a L720!
As the phone is running on 2G and is being used by the missus, I cannot comment on the battery life at this moment. Will switch over to 3G as soon as the monthly 2g plan expires and then report.

From 800 goto 820 instead of 720.. 720 has the same RAM and Proccy as 520. But 820 has 1.5Ghz Krait, and 1GB RAM. It is much better.. Why spend 18K On 720, when you can get a better one at 23K

From 800 goto 820 instead of 720.. 720 has the same RAM and Proccy as 520. But 820 has 1.5Ghz Krait, and 1GB RAM. It is much better.. Why spend 18K On 720, when you can get a better one at 23K
My friend had got a 820 from Indiatimes at 20k 2 weeks back.

Yeah, you still get the point right.. Anyway coming to 520..
Well battery backup is great after first charge. It has been 18hrs with almost 4hrs of Screen on time, with WiFi on all the time and music downloads running in Nokia Music, about 30 min of music, and whatsapp running in background. It still has about 25% juice left. So with heavy usage will last a day!
Yesterday when I was in a very low signal area, it drained from 100 to 50 in just 4 hrs! Maybe because it was first day, and it was calibrating battery still.
Overall I am happy with device.. Micro lags at some places, due to animations, but all is well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back