WP Nokia Lumia 520 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Samsung Focus and my sister's Omnia M both have this problem. And it hasnt got anything to do with Airtel (or Nokia) as I faced the same issue with Docomo. The signal drops and doesnt come back until you turn the Flight mode ON and then OFF or restart the phone completely. There's something wrong with the OS and not the phones as far as I can gather.

Facing the same issue with Vodafone - their signal takes its sweet time to come on. Wondering what to do. Have not faced this issue with Docomo. Samsung Focus - ATT 7.5

Facing the same issue with Vodafone - their signal takes its sweet time to come on. Wondering what to do. Have not faced this issue with Docomo. Samsung Focus - ATT 7.5

Ummn . Did you cut your sim and then used it in your 520 ??
If yes, I would recommend to buy a new micro SIM.

Ummn . Did you cut your sim and then used it in your 520 ??
If yes, I would recommend to buy a new micro SIM.

I got a new sim frm airtel and they cut it with machine and gave me sim...I also thought they might give me microsim...
But no...he opened pack...normal new sim and cut it and gave it to me....
Any other operator giving new micro sim?

My Samsung Focus and my sister's Omnia M both have this problem. And it hasnt got anything to do with Airtel (or Nokia) as I faced the same issue with Docomo. The signal drops and doesnt come back until you turn the Flight mode ON and then OFF or restart the phone completely. There's something wrong with the OS and not the phones as far as I can gather.

My Android phone Lava 501 had this issue where connection would drop intermittently saying "Restricted access changed" for 20 secs and then connect back. I searched google long and hard for any solution and found nothing.

Then i read a thread that recommended to put scotch tape on the sim part as it was suspected that the sim was not making firm contact with the socket. I did the same and Voila! , my problems disappeared. No more connection drops.

You can try doing the same. Although it could be a totally different issue as well

I second that..This happens quite a few times..

*sheepish*
It was my mistake all along :( not the phone's mistake.

Looks like I have solved the problem.
Settings>Mobile Network>Network selection = Automatic

Problem solved.

On a trip to Delhi about a month ago, I was playing around with the phone, and trying to select a non Airtel roaming network. I came back to Pune, and selected Airtel manually.
Forgot about this until this weekend, when it struck me that I had basically told the phone to try to connect to a specified network. Perhaps if it doesn't get the signal it doesn't make any effort to reconnect (unless prompted manually again).

Changed this back to automatic - and I have not faced the problem again.

No announcements on the next windows phone update at build. Sucks.
Except that Bing platform thingie.
They should provide an option for changing the "Search engine" in the search button itself.
Apart from a beautiful wallpaper, Bing search performs much lower than Google.[DOUBLEPOST=1373025997][/DOUBLEPOST]
When WP8 is going to have Android like apps? :(
What do you mean like Android-like? :)

Mine is on automatic and has problems only with Vodafone (postapaid) - specifically roaming. Nada with Docomo, T24, Loop and Airtel (prepaid) even in roaming.

I did not have to cutout the SIM - the focus has a mini sim slot.

Are there any current free apps to check techenclave and other forums? Seems Board Express doesn't want to work and Tapatalk is paid..

Guys get 'MoHoo Reader' for Windows Phone. Best app to read ebooks. I've tried almost all android ones and this beats the crap out of them. Absolutely love it.

Two books and still counting :D

I see a duplication of Music & Videos with 8-10 copies created. I could clear Music with multiple selection but i cant clear videos.
In Desktop it does not show multiple copies. Tried clearing the folders but still phone has the multiple copies.
Seems to be a WP8 issue.. I have to clear videos one by one..:mad:

Also saw there is discussion on this on Nokia communities and only solution being Reset the phone.. :arghh:

They should provide an option for changing the "Search engine" in the search button itself.

They would probably never do that. Because Bing is their own search engine and putting google as option there means they lose out on revenue from searches.
Like Google pays Apple sh1tload of money to keep them as the default search engine in safari.

Whatsapp update is pending from long now. If not launched in time, many buyers will get one more reason for not choosing the device. This one is on my wishlist but Mr.green are on red side :confused:

I see a duplication of Music & Videos with 8-10 copies created. I could clear Music with multiple selection but i cant clear videos.
I Desktop it does not show multiple copies. Tried clearing the folders but still phone has the multiple copies.
Seems to be a WP8 issue.. I have to clear videos one by one..:mad:

Also saw there is discussion on this on Nokia communities and only solution being Reset the phone.. :arghh:

- Backup the media files to your PC.
- Format the SD card in your PC (It'l delete all, as usual)
- Insert SD card to WP, and again format it. (It'l format in such a way that the card will be made suitable for OS by creating folders for each media).
- Copy the media files, back from PC to respective folders in SD.
- You should find no duplicates in your WP now.

They would probably never do that. Because Bing is their own search engine and putting google as option there means they lose out on revenue from searches.
Like Google pays Apple sh1tload of money to keep them as the default search engine in safari.
But there's this trick.
  1. Open IE. Go to settings > advance settings. Set default search to Google
  2. Go to region settings of the phone, set 'search language' to Russian
It sets to Google search.. What's in this case?[DOUBLEPOST=1373286092][/DOUBLEPOST]
Guys get 'MoHoo Reader' for Windows Phone. Best app to read ebooks. I've tried almost all android ones and this beats the crap out of them. Absolutely love it.
Oh. It reads PDFs from SD card too. That's a nice feature.. But 19MB size is bigger when compared to other PDF readers (Adobe's only 2MB)

- Backup the media files to your PC.
- Format the SD card in your PC (It'l delete all, as usual)
- Insert SD card to WP, and again format it. (It'l format in such a way that the card will be made suitable for OS by creating folders for each media).
- Copy the media files, back from PC to respective folders in SD.
- You should find no duplicates in your WP now.

But why is this an issue? I had formatted SD card in phone itself before copying music and videos..

I've the same error with duplicate media. But formatted the phone last week to get rid of the OTHER STORAGE..
I've done what i've told you.

To my surprise(and for the first time), there're no duplicates :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back