WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sei

Skilled
Noticed we did not have one here, so creating a new one to get some views.

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia920/

VIDEO & PHOTOS: First look at the Nokia Lumia 820 & 920

Noteworthy links -
Nokia Lumia 920 hands-on: the dual-core, HD Windows Phone 8 flagship to take on the beasts -- Engadget
Nokia Lumia 920 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar
Nokia Lumia 920 specs
AnandTech - Hands On with the Nokia Lumia 920 & Lumia 820
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3299784/nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera-hi-res-photos
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3293146/nokia-lumia-920-hands-on-photos-video

Firstly, I would urge everyone reading this to check out the video above.

So, as everyone knows the Nokia Lumia 920 has been launched. No release date as of now except rumours of a November launch date.

All articles point to the fact that the delay is not because of the hardware but the software. MS is still sorting out last minute bugs plus they apparently have some major announcements left, so they are not allowing phone manufacturers to show off the UI or give release dates.

The things that stand out for me in this phone - design, resolution, camera and other nifty features like wireless charging and the fact that we can use the touchscreen with gloves or fingernails.

Obviously, it is hard to predict whether this would be a game-changer for Nokia and Microsoft, but now I feel the onus lies solely on Windows 8.

Nokia has always delivered with the hardware. Even the 800 and 900 got good marks on the hardware part. It was the OS where the points were deducted.

With all high-end phones along the same price-point (more or less similar high-performance innards), the main factor which will affect the decision of consumers is the OS ecosystem.

Finally the comparison between the big boys - http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/6116/5807/6082/6024/5236/3604/

phonecomparison.png

So, what do you guys think?

Very sexy from my POV. Unfortunately, I live & work in a Mac (Apple) only environment so only an iPhone/iPad/iMac etc. will make do for me.

Very sexy from my POV. Unfortunately, I live & work in a Mac (Apple) only environment so only an iPhone/iPad/iMac etc. will make do for me.

Exactly the way decisions are going to be made now. All phones have more power and features than we really require. The ecosystem is going to be the main deciding factor.

nice. loved the whole thing. But why there is "wireless charging : Yes" for Galaxy S3? or is it only verizon model of galaxy s3 which has wireless charging and not the others one.

nice. loved the whole thing. But why there is "wireless charging : Yes" for Galaxy S3? or is it only verizon model of galaxy s3 which has wireless charging and not the others one.

Not too sure about that. Maybe someone else can answer that!

- - - Updated - - -

No expandable memory. No Removable battery. Pass.

Which phone are you using currently/thinking of buying?

I seriously appreciate the fact that Nokia and windows mobile OS took a very different approach and did not just do a copy+paste job. The UI and functionality looks slick IMO. Not really sure whether i will like it personally upon using it. Hope to see the Lumia in some store here (before i leave) and have a feel of the OS and do some hands-on.

- - - Updated - - -

No expandable memory. No Removable battery. Pass.

I might be wrong but my guess is that many manufacturers are moving towards non removable battery and no expandable memory in order to make their handsets sleek and slim. I know S3 has done a good job in keeping the slim form factor with removable battery and microSD card slot but i feel the more contributing factory for that was the huge real estate they got because of the 4.8" screen.

Sorry to ask a silly question but this doesn't have the crap Apple had with only Apple-to-Apple devices filesharing/bluetooth/wifi hotspot etc. right?
Also will it require a specific software to add music, photos etc. like the iPhone?

Sorry if that information is there in one of the links you provided, feeling lazy to go through them. :ashamed:

Sorry to ask a silly question but this doesn't have the crap Apple had with only Apple-to-Apple devices filesharing/bluetooth/wifi hotspot etc. right?
Also will it require a specific software to add music, photos etc. like the iPhone?

Sorry if that information is there in one of the links you provided, feeling lazy to go through them. :ashamed:

I believe some Zune software is to be used (similar to iTunes for iDevices). Correct me if i am wrong.

^ yeah, there will be some new software. Zune is getting phased out.

Filesharing via bluetooth is not possible here. Maybe some apps using NFC might allow that.

Wi-Fi hotspot is present in Windows Phone.. use it on my HD7 quite frequently.. not sure about Nokia.

I may be wrong, but somewhere i read that, windows phone 8 will be having USB mass storage option..

And also bluetooth file transfer :)

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: lumia has only glossy surface? :(

Yes there will be mass storage mode for phones with micro SD cards and Bluetooth transfer will also be possible. I will be getting this as soon as it launches to replace my current windows phone. The technology and design is quiet impressive.

Don't like the glossy surface.Don't know whether it's done to cut costs but the matt surface of lumia 800 was much better. Also its comparatively heavy. don't like windows OS either.Right now the only thing going for it is the amazing navigation software and the untested camera.Don't really care abt wireless charging or LTE.

If i dont like windows OS, then really i wouldn't worry about look and feel of the device either :) Either its glossy or matte.. dont care about it :p

Not too sure about that. Maybe someone else can answer that!

From what I understand, there is going to be a battery cover replacement which will add wireless charging. Supports any Qi inductive pad. Estimated prices seem to be $50 for the rear cover. The charging pads seem to be in the $30 - $50 range.

Another nice vid showing off the dock and touch using gloves -

- - - Updated - - -

Another showing off the camera prowess as compared to an S3 and iPhone 4S -

Any news on how the camera perform in sufficient light? I need to get a new phone soon, and can't decide between 808 and 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back