WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what that means, because I can launch the camera even when my screen is completely dark (sleep mode due to inactivity).

I got the figured out as well. There is an option to set "Camera button can wake the phone from sleep mode.". I checked that and now everything works perfectly.

I found out some ATT htc 8x/nokia 920 phones in ebay. Are unlock codes for windows phones are released? I have seen some htc 8x unlocked code seller in ebay..
how can we trust they are genuine..

920 owners, I need your help. I accidentally deleted a photo I really like from the sample images folder - the name of the album on the phone is called '8'. It's the one of the yellow van and I just can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. If someone could send the photo to me via PM, you (and your phone) shall have my blessings :)

Yellow van? I only see a white bus .
baxjLzT.jpg

This one. A friend took this photo and it was freaky how it matched the t-shirt! I would like to get this photo back...
29565810152585222105300.jpg

Ummm Nikhil, that photo along with a bunch of others can be found under Backgrounds if you try changing the lock screen photo. I can't trace it from the phone's folder structure.

Go to settings, lock screen, select photo and change photo, go to Backgrounds folder and you should see that there. Check the attachment.

Try a Google Image search. You should get it online.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130313_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130313_0001.png
    916 KB · Views: 113
Ummm Nikhil, that photo along with a bunch of others can be found under Backgrounds if you try changing the lock screen photo. I can't trace it from the phone's folder structure.

Go to settings, lock screen, select photo and change photo, go to Backgrounds folder and you should see that there. Check the attachment.

Try a Google Image search. You should get it online.
Oh man, n00b moment. I was looking for it in the wrong location. I thought it was originally from the '8' folder, and the backgrounds folder doesn't show up under photos - it's only accessible when you try changing the lockscreen photo. Cool it's all good. You and are phone are blessed :)

Guys, did you try tethering the internet over WiFi to your laptop or PC? My home net was down few days back and I tried this but it did not work! :confused:

However, this is the case only with my netbook. It worked fine when I checked with my iPad.

@tracerbullet, @Sub, @agantuk - any pointers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it often, works fine for me. Since it works fine with your iPad it's most probably not an issue at the phone end. It could have been a one-off issue with the network failing to return DNS server info etc or something, so give it another shot.

I don't remember having any issue using Internet Sharing. But let me check again and get back to you.

The biggest issue I face with my phone though is terrible battery life. Sometimes the 920 lasts for even less than twelve hours. I've done the usual tweaks > manual brightness set to 'low', location disabled, tap+send disabled, bluetooth disabled, and even my mail is set to check after one-hour intervals. But I am a heavy user though - I make/get lots of calls through the day, use whatsapp quite a bit, and then a bit of texting and browsing.

What sort of battery life figures do you all see?

I don't remember having any issue using Internet Sharing. But let me check again and get back to you.

The biggest issue I face with my phone though is terrible battery life. Sometimes the 920 lasts for even less than twelve hours. I've done the usual tweaks > manual brightness set to 'low', location disabled, tap+send disabled, bluetooth disabled, and even my mail is set to check after one-hour intervals. But I am a heavy user though - I make/get lots of calls through the day, use whatsapp quite a bit, and then a bit of texting and browsing.

Whatsapp may be to blame. It keeps your net on all the time.

In my case, 3G is mostly set to OFF unless I browse or use WhatsApp. And the charge easily lasts a day. If I do a lot of browsing esp. watching YouTube videos, the battery goes down pretty quickly and may have to recharge it in between as well. It has happened before.

Absolutely, Whatsapp is a crazy battery guzzler. I once had a one-hour chat on Whatsapp, it killed the battery by 40%. That's just insane, I could browse internet for more than 5 hours with that! Also, as vivek points out above, even when closed it is a background task which keeps drawing power. It also takes over the sound API, which makes little sense to me. First I disabled Whatsapp as background task, now I have uninstalled it completely, asked my contacts to get in touch some other way. I don't know when or if they have fixed it though... but for now, it has noticeably increased battery life. It could also be some other stray app drawing power. Unfortunately unlike Android there's no way to find out what app it might be. But you can try blocking suspect background tasks and find out. Also, on Battery Saver my phone lasts forever, but it kills live apps which is a deal breaker for me.

All that said though, 12 hours of continuous heavy usage is a lot, not completely unexpected from a modern smartphone.

(PS: I use HTC 8X and 8S, but I guess the same issues for all WP8 devices.)

In my case, 3G is mostly set to OFF unless I browse or use WhatsApp. And the charge easily lasts a day. If I do a lot of browsing esp. watching YouTube videos, the battery goes down pretty quickly and may have to recharge it in between as well. It has happened before.

If you are a heavy Youtube user, I highly recommend Metrotube. Best mobile Youtube app on any platform. It uses less battery than the website too.

If you are a heavy Youtube user, I highly recommend Metrotube. Best mobile Youtube app on any platform. It uses less battery than the website too.

Thanks! Shall check it out.

As for YouTube, I don't have the app. but I go through the browser itself. The app. itself leads to the browser lol. :p

Is WhatsApp a battery guzzler on all phones ? Even iPhones ?
Asking since i use WhatsApp especially because iMessage is not always reliable.

Whatsapp battery problem will be solved as soon as they develop a separate version for WP8, they have provided many updates in the past month itself, so i am expecting them to solve this problem soon.

For youtube videos, checkout Metrotube and Supertube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back