Nokia N9 from Finland

wolvish

Disciple
Hi Guys,

Ever since the N9 showed up in the news, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately it was heavily priced that time (around 32000k) so didn't want to buy it. I believed that someday it'll be released in India, but Nokia thought otherwise. It's not even released in the US.

So, coming to the point, One of my friends is in Finland right now, he'll be coming home this weekend and I am planning to buy that beauty. Though it shares similar looks to Lumia 800 it's got a different CPU and GPU, front cam and a slightly bigger screen and a simple and great looking OS.

Can you guys help me out with the decision? Currently I have a Moto Defy which is 9 months old and I am really bored with it and Android in general. Should I buy the N9 if it's around 20k-25k? What kind of things should I be looking for in it?

I can live with the limited apps and a single core proccy (for atleast 1.5-2 years). Warranty is a concern but having this phone in hands is worth that risk I guess.
<

Lumia 800 vs. N9

http://www.gsmarena....8&idPhone2=4240

Review

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQM8vVjuE4[/media]

I say, if its just the design you are better of getting the Nokia Lumia 800, its for 23k comes with warranty and you are also promised all the goodies possible from both Nokia and Microsoft.

If you are buying it for the OS, then its a completely different thing.

I have both the prototype version (N950) and the N9 64GB.. I don't use either. Its nice as a collectors edition of sorts but has quite a bit missing. What you do get in it as a package is fantastically integrated though. My biggest niggle with it is the screen , i can usually deal with pentile matrix displays but this one is particularly bad. That's all i could come up with.. Any specific questions , feel free to ask. I prefer my Lumia 800 over the N9 but i do wish i had the 64gigs of storage from my N9
<

On the other hand if you really do want to buy one , i can hook you up with one in Chennai itself. Imported from Singapore and not used afaik.

@ H2O: Yup.. After the price drop it's a steal for that price. But MeeGo has blown my mind.. I've seen Amazon/eBay deals which roughly have the same price for N9..
<

@dhruv: I really like the multi tasking ability of the MeeGo with just 1 Core proccy. I'm not really fond of Microsoft let alone their strategy of spending millions for those nagging ads and making Nokia to Kill MeeGo. So you are saying the PenTile matrix is bad in N9. Okay. How is the audio quality? If it's good, I can live with the PenTile Matrix..
<

I'll check with my Finland friend and get back to you on the Chennai deal.

Thanks for the replies guys..

Dhruv,

Is the screen issue particular to your unit or is it common to all N9s? Asking this coz I don't remember reading the same remark about the PenTile display in reviews/videos

Dhruv,

Is the screen issue particular to your unit or is it common to all N9s? Asking this coz I don't remember reading the same remark about the PenTile display in reviews/videos

Its common to all units. Perhaps i'm just a bit too sensitive to it ? I have the same issue with the 800 as well but owing to the tile based interface , its a bit better on that.

@wolvish Yea the multitasking is pretty cool.. And no , MS did not make Nokia kill MeeGo. Honestly you can't even call the N9's OS MeeGo. This is MeeGo Harmattan.. the entire UI is closed source. Heck even Intel has backed off from the OS. It did not have a future. Nokia would've killed itself by betting the farm on an OS with just one device. With WP7 they have a fighting chance. And before you say Elop is a trojan , do remember that the entire board gave the approval for the MS deal
<

Audio quality is decent but not as good as my N8. I find it quite acceptable... MeeGo lovers and Symbian fanboys are some of the most persistant ones you'll find online. Right there with the Android and iOS fans
<

Back