Nokia's VP says better hardware without apps isn't enough for sales

The problem for a company is that 95% of the buyers would not be interested in modding and optimizing their ROM.
Then how did Android grow to own 75% of the market ? Google.

And that is exactly where they will lose market share.
Why will they lose market share ?

Only if a better competitor comes in and shakes things up.

That is for the future to decide. Two years from now we will see how it is.

In the meantime android isn't sitting on its hands. Its also going to improve.

Since Nokia has dual core phones at sub 10k levels I am sure other manufacturers will be forced to pull up their socks and offer Android based phones with dual cores at that level.

since nokia is not gonna adopt android, if brands like samsung or sony comes up with a properly specd phone(4" 480x800, dual-core etc.) like Lumia 520 under 10k i'm sure it'll outsell anything in the segment.
------
and about lag... i'd say if i know how capable is my phone and i'm able to manage it properly, i'll get best out of it. I've seen people blatantly installing many apps/junks for checking it once and then they leave it installed, many times they just keep it running push it in background without exiting it.. ads/notification from several apps keeps coming in notification panel and later they complain their phone operate slow/lags or getting low battery backup.

Only by keeping some simple terms in mind on how to properly manage their device resources they can get lot of improvement and rooting-debloating & custom roms only improves the performance further.

@abhishek2600

What you are saying about managing a phone and its memory is fine but for a layman user, you can expect that person to free up memory by actually closing the apps (hold menu and swipe thing). In fact many of these users might not even know this. They would just press any button and the app goes in background and they think is it closed. They don't care what process runs in background and eats battery and such. They expect phone to function properly and give good battery.
I feel that is where apple excelled. Granted they did not provide multitasking but from an end user perspective they have least of their worries when operating such a device.
Press home button and app is background for some time and then killed by the OS. User does not need to worry about that.
There is always a tradeoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The apps currently on WP8 (free apps) are sufficient for even moderate power users like me. I know it might not have 1xxxxxxxxxxxx apps but most of what is necessary is there except maybe instagram, but thats the company playing a b**ch. They are even going after third party developers, seeking pictures uploaded by them and deleting them. They stopped a few days back when there was a proper backlash and criticism.

Its not always the fault of Microsoft. Its anybody's guess why major google apps arent on WP8. But then you have replacements that give the best of those apps a run for their money.

WP8 has hands down the best eReader, Youtube apps(downloading yeah!), maps, Rss, Chatapps(IM+), facebook and Twitter .
The twitter app is so much better than the android one. Even Whatsapp has almost caught up with last of the notification issues needing slight ironing.

I don't know where you guys come up with all the generalizations, but i'm a power user on WP8 on the cheapest WP8 in the market and I can safely say that all I lack is a replacement for that amazing video player(MX player for the file management and discovery) and filemanager on android.
Rest is all sorted to the T.[DOUBLEPOST=1375261942][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and to add to that there are some really amazing thrid party developers for WP8 now. They are churning out app replacements that even best the original apps. And anything new you see in the future will probably make it to WP8 by the time you get around to using it.

The apps currently on WP8 (free apps) are sufficient for even moderate power users like me. I know it might not have 1xxxxxxxxxxxx apps but most of what is necessary is there except maybe instagram, but thats the company playing a b**ch. They are even going after third party developers, seeking pictures uploaded by them and deleting them. They stopped a few days back when there was a proper backlash and criticism.

Its not always the fault of Microsoft. Its anybody's guess why major google apps arent on WP8. But then you have replacements that give the best of those apps a run for their money.

WP8 has hands down the best eReader, Youtube apps(downloading yeah!), maps, Rss, Chatapps(IM+), facebook and Twitter .
The twitter app is so much better than the android one. Even Whatsapp has almost caught up with last of the notification issues needing slight ironing.

I don't know where you guys come up with all the generalizations, but i'm a power user on WP8 on the cheapest WP8 in the market and I can safely say that all I lack is a replacement for that amazing video player(MX player for the file management and discovery) and filemanager on android.
Rest is all sorted to the T.[DOUBLEPOST=1375261942][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and to add to that there are some really amazing thrid party developers for WP8 now. They are churning out app replacements that even best the original apps. And anything new you see in the future will probably make it to WP8 by the time you get around to using it.

I read somewhere that filemanager app has been launched for win 8 and so has been torrent client.

I read somewhere that filemanager app has been launched for win 8 and so has been torrent client.
I just checked, There is a native torrent client called WPTORRENT. So that's one more thing crossed off. :D

I dont know about file manager though. There are apps to browse the sd card which is more than enough for me, but I cant seem to find a free one. :|[DOUBLEPOST=1375271168][/DOUBLEPOST]Seems like a very good start. Thats a huge problem solved there. http://betanews.com/2013/07/24/wptorrent-app-brings-bittorrent-downloads-to-windows-phone-8/

^^ I went on a game hunting spree on the Google play store and I was stunned at the sheer no of games. Tried a bunch of them and found most of them pretty impressive.

Now thats one of the main advantages of having a store with barely enough apps and one with more apps than you could ever want. :p

^ I've been in your place. Having lots of options is really good, but if you have any sort of long term experience you'l also know that choices are distractive and do more harm than good. I've been wanting to read a few books and I tried ten different book readers but nothing stuck. On WP8 I download the first one I get and its a serious love affair since then. :D But ofcourse there are people who are more decisive than me and for them it might be good.

I spent hours on getting the "right" rom for my android. Hours flashing and tweaking and reflashing and reinstalling even with titanium, its a pain in the end. And you come to a point where you'd rather have something that just works instead of having all the drama around simple things like phones.

Last edited:
Too much choice is a bad thing !!! Microsoft should use that as their slogan to lure Android and iOS users. :p

I don't understand what drama you are referring to. My phone has a grand total of 2 custom ROMs currently available and I am very happy with CM10. Now there is really no reinstalling. After flashing a new ROM all your old programs installed are automatically downloaded once you boot up for the first time on the new ROM. All I need is to get my old contacts back which I generally back up on the memory card. :)

After flashing a new ROM all your old programs installed are automatically downloaded once you boot up for the first time on the new ROM. All I need is to get my old contacts back which I generally back up on the memory card. :)

Right but there are people out there who are not interested in custom ROMs and such and would not want to fiddle with the device that much. Most people (not all) buy a device for the convenience it offers and i am pretty sure the general public expects OOB functionality to work as expected. This is where i think WP can win. It is closed like iOS no doubt but if they get all the main apps, then people won't have problem buying them and probably will not have to worry about tinkering the device to extract functionality out of it.
The problem seems that most users feel that all android users are interested in customizing their phones and installing ROMs on frequent basis. Infact custom ROMs should not even be a criteria when selecting a device.

Right but there are people out there who are not interested in custom ROMs and such and would not want to fiddle with the device that much. Most people (not all) buy a device for the convenience it offers and i am pretty sure the general public expects OOB functionality to work as expected. This is where i think WP can win. It is closed like iOS no doubt but if they get all the main apps, then people won't have problem buying them and probably will not have to worry about tinkering the device to extract functionality out of it.
The problem seems that most users feel that all android users are interested in customizing their phones and installing ROMs on frequent basis. Infact custom ROMs should not even be a criteria when selecting a device.
Custom ROMs might not be a criteria for you or many many others but it is for a handful of Android users and this being a technology forum you will encounter more than at your average coffee shop. Also I doubt you would buy another iPhone if you weren't able to jailbreak it. jailbreaking is akin to custom roms (actually closer to rooting) so as you can see every user has their own preference.

I for one love the choice offered by Android. I have also gotten so used to the UI that I find WP weird to use.

WP really lacks in a lot of features. And to those who are kidding about being power users, specifically one fanboi - please, there is no need to turn this into another WP vs Android thread.

The way I see it, unless there are more free albeit ad driven apps in the store, WP is going for the docks. Yes, you can have no lags, etc - whatever - but I want more than whats just there in the store.

And for those who are saying custom ROMs / Rooting / Etc is only being done by a minority, that is if you consider users of all ages. Today, every teen/kid who has an Android will have heard of rooting. And would be keen on trying it. Its like jailbreaking for iPhones.

Back