PC Peripherals not able to run my PC in dual channel mode, please help.

sudeep_hm

Disciple
:(Hi, Here is my problem, I have 2 512MB DDR1 RAM installed on
P4 3.2 processor
512x2 MB DDR RAM
160 GB hard drive
Intel 865G original motherboard
chipset i865P/PE?G/i848P. and in my BIOS it is showing in single channel mode. I tried to change the BIOS from advanced mode > chipset but not working.
(one is of twinmos and the other one is dynet both are at 400Mhz).please help me in this regard?:(

Open up your cabinet and insert one of the RAM DIMMs to the next free slot so that there is an empty slot between the two RAM chips.

Hmm... I was a user of this board for about a year or so and thereafter the board's AGP slot conked off :mad:

You have to install one ram in DIMM A1 and the other in DIMM B1. But i doubt whether these markings exist in that board . In simple terms install them in this order - 1st slot & 3rd slot or 2nd slot & 4th slot. The former is better. Despite the above steps if Dual channel isnt recognized, then its because both the RAMS are of different make i.e., Dynet & twinmoss.

It might be even due to discrepancy in CAS latency ( eg., 4-4-4-12 or some no. printed in both the rams). If the numbers are not same in both the modules , then this might happen IMO.

My mother board is having only two RAM slots.When I opened and examined both the RAMs, I found that twinmos is having the chips placed on only one side and in dynet half of the chips are placed on one side and half on the another side but all the other specifications are same such as both are 512MB, at 400Mhz. Does the above findings will make any difference?

^^

What you mean by, " dynet half of the chips are placed on one side and half on the another side"..?

If you inspect them physically, they should look exactly the same when slotted into the sockets...? Do not tell me they are not aligned properly. How can that happen..? How RAM is the OS reporting, once you reach the desktop.

dual channel mode will only work for same spec DIMMS only,2 sets to be 100% identical.

Enabling Dual Channel

In order to enable dual channel technology you need to have:

Compatible chipset and motherboard (Intel CPU) or compatible CPU (AMD).
Two or four identical memory modules, compatible with the technology supported by the motherboard (DDR-SDRAM, DDR2-SDRAM or DDR3-SDRAM).

If you have only one memory module dual channel isn’t available. So if you want a PC with 2 GB of RAM the best way to achieve this is by using two 1 GB modules instead of one single 2 GB module, because on the first case you can enable dual channel mode (which increases performance), while on the second you can’t.

If your motherboard has only two memory sockets – which is more common to happen with entry-level motherboards – then to enable dual channel you have to simply install two memory modules.

On motherboards with four memory sockets, which is the most common scenario, the correct way to enable dual channel technology varies.

If you have four memory modules simply install all of them and dual channel method will be enabled.

I found that twinmos is having the chips placed on only one side and in dynet half of the chips are placed on one side and half on the another side

You say, that (for ex.) there are 8 chips placed on one side for twinmos and for dynet 4 chips on one side and 4 chips on the other side, right ?. This difference with respect to placement of chips will not arise if you are using both the modules with the same specs.

try getting a pair of modules from your friend (for whom dual channel is working) and check.

Your mobo name is 865PERL ?

And your mobo doesnt have onboard VGA, right ?, since you say its 865P chipset . But AFAIK all of the INTEL original mobos with 865 chipset come with 4 ram slots. And you say there are only 2. The mobo which i had was a 865GBF which is well known for thermal issues

thank you to all. Yes that is what exactly mean (about the placement of the chips). my mobo is a small form factor (so only two slots). So I must replace RAM with physically identical ones. I will definitely try this and get back to you all.

Back