Nothing Phone

View attachment 139384

I always liked tiny amount of included spyware to go along. Thanks for that.
Apparently they grab your IMSI from the sim card. Even if you change phones they still know who you are.

Question ? i heard since android 10 its become very difficult to pull IMSI through software

Is this true ? that these days it is very difficult to pull IMSI from software
Nothing innovative or revolutionary, the LED bling notwithstanding. Atrocious pricing for what you get.
So so specs on paper except perhaps for the camera and close to stock Android, which are the only bright spots. Need to wait and see once the full reviews are out but looks to be another wannabe OnePlus.
This is a Carl Pei redux. Or so it seems.
Not supporting or praising Nothing, but just genuinely curious to know what are the other better options than it in the 30-40(ish)k price bracket apart from S20 FE 5G
Goes to show how Sammy has pulled their socks up. Sammy can actually compete with Chinese offerings these days.

S20FE is the result of the pandemic. Their S20 launch flopped so they had to scramble and make an alternative.

Or how to turn fail into master stroke :)

Last edited:
Wait it isint RGB?

Why would you wanna put white led instead of RGB led and let the user customise whatever colour they want.
Most likely they knew that their end user isnt a gamer. Gamers would probably avoid this phone as others (iqoo neo6, poco F4) offer better price to performance.

Apparently they grab your IMSI from the sim card. Even if you change phones they still know who you are.
Itsa not too different from taking your phone number and it has the same effect. You can get a new SIM and get a fresh IMSI if you're concerned about it.

Nothing innovative or revolutionary, the LED bling notwithstanding. Atrocious pricing for what you get.
So so specs on paper except perhaps for the camera and close to stock Android, which are the only bright spots. Need to wait and see once the full reviews are out but looks to be another wannabe OnePlus.

Unreasonable pricing coupled with Gimmicky features. And they are not even shipping the charger in the box. I had a lot of hopes but now I have to wait for Pixel 6A/Asus Zenfone 9.

Mi 11 lite ne 5g , m52 5g etc have the same processor and decent cameras at 7-8k lower price. Iqoo Neo 6 sells for 26-27k with a quite decent camera.

Stock Android isn't everyone's cup of tea either. Nokia and Motorola both have tried to market based on stock Android as their USP and have an unenviable marketshare. No one get an os right at the first go. All in all a pretty meh offering for 30k, unless they keep their promise of 4 year security path updates. But that needs to be monthly and not irregular.

If you see the phones sold in that price range with better specs, they do that because they have the backing of bigger brand (BBK, Mi, Lenovo etc) to operate on thin margins. Also, they sell in lot lot higher numbers and so they end up making profits. Nothing is a young brand with limited budget. They cannot survive if they sell their products at cost. 30k for the Nothing phone 1 is not a bad price I believe. I ended up ordering one because of four key factors. 778G is a very good chipset and for those who do not want to showoff fps in gaming, this chipset is more than enough. It also is battery friendly.

1. Wireless charging.

I use Qi compatible wireless charger for my iPhone 13 and watch. I now know the convenience of having a wireless charger. With Nothing Phone 1, I can have my wife's phone too enjoy the simplicity of wireless charging.

2. Clean Android.
After OnePlus's Oppofication, there is only one brand that sells midrange phones with clean Android. There is a huge void here and N1 is going to grab this market share. I love pure Android and I would any day pick a clean OS over bloatware and adware filled junk.

3. Design
Believe me when I say this, this one is an absolute head turner. I would rather flaunt this phone's rear than the one that has huge ugly 'Dare to leap' branding on its back.

4. Carl Pei
He is a legend in Android world. He wants to bring back the magic of old OnePlus back to Android. Why not help him and the best way to do that is by buying his products.

The only concern that I have is QC and reliability. I really hope that they have stringent QC control.

If you see the phones sold in that price range with better specs, they do that because they have the backing of bigger brand (BBK, Mi, Lenovo etc) to operate on thin margins. Also, they sell in lot lot higher numbers and so they end up making profits. Nothing is a young brand with limited budget. They cannot survive if they sell their products at cost. 30k for the Nothing phone 1 is not a bad price I believe. I ended up ordering one because of four key factors. 778G is a very good chipset and for those who do not want to showoff fps in gaming, this chipset is more than enough. It also is battery friendly.

1. Wireless charging.

I use Qi compatible wireless charger for my iPhone 13 and watch. I now know the convenience of having a wireless charger. With Nothing Phone 1, I can have my wife's phone too enjoy the simplicity of wireless charging.

2. Clean Android.
After OnePlus's Oppofication, there is only one brand that sells midrange phones with clean Android. There is a huge void here and N1 is going to grab this market share. I love pure Android and I would any day pick a clean OS over bloatware and adware filled junk.

3. Design
Believe me when I say this, this one is an absolute head turner. I would rather flaunt this phone's rear than the one that has huge ugly 'Dare to leap' branding on its back.

4. Carl Pei
He is a legend in Android world. He wants to bring back the magic of old OnePlus back to Android. Why not help him and the best way to do that is by buying his products.

The only concern that I have is QC and reliability. I really hope that they have stringent QC control.
I don't disagree at all. From the company's standpoint it makes sense to price it up there. But for consumers it is not an automatic choice due to the pricing.

Tbh, if I were in market for a mid range phone, I would have chosen Nothing too. Stock Android with regular updates is a pixel for me. Would prefer the 778 over any other Android chip today .
But I think it won't sell a lot just like pixels due to its pricing. Unless ofcourse the hype Machine works well.

Btw please do post a review of the experience.

From the company's standpoint it makes sense to price it up there.
Pricing is one part but the value proposition at that price point is just isn't there for a market like ours.
Even with all the nifty features including the led backlight, there just isn't enough to stand out in the crowd except unless you are just going with the looks rather than function. If I get all that and more at a lower price point, why should I buy this.
Folks owning Tesla can appreciate its integration but how many of us own one ?

idk how this is "atrocious" pricing. The closest thing to this phone is Samsung Galaxy A53 and that is also around 35k. The Pixel 6A will probably be even higher, close to 40k.
I know phones like poco f4 (30k for 8/128) exist but if what nothing are promising about clean android, fast updates and 4 years of support is true then for me personally, that is easily worth the extra 2k. 778G is good enough unless you play games, so that's not a problem. Plus it has wireless charging to go with their unique design.

i too was in the boat of f4 or nothing phone , and my asus maax pro m1 said i am dying 2 days before f4 launch .was considering moto edge 30 ,f4 and nothing

was thinking of using poco till nothing phone launches and jump the ship.

what i like about pocos f4 offering

2 years warranty
not a fan of huge screen love the size of pixel 6 and asus phone 8 , small hands over here (but screen looks good)
870 is lit
ability to unlock since it being a snapdragon processor and mi releases the code of the phone. will jump to official lineage os + magisk + vanced and adblocker
Not a gamer nor a heavy user . but battery life is decent for me.
The charger is wow 67 watt is nuts .it can top up the battery within 30-40 minutes . You wakeup put your phone to charge get ready for the day and and by the time you are ready the phone is ready too.
ir blaster wow thats fun very nifty
the resale value of mi phones is great and if one uses phone with care the only thing that goes bad is battery which is easily available at your nearest mi center at a reasonable price.

Cons
its antennae they could have given 13 bands and wifi 6e if the phones was built properly
No fm radio
no sd card slot ( wont be able to mindlessly switch from one custom roms to another)
no headphone jack (but than i have two 3.5 mm headphones so i have made peace with it)
miui 13 the default bloatware ( can be removed using multiple tools)
weight

Neutral
camera maybe ( not a camera buff ,but i make sure that i remove stock camera and install gcam)

why i didnt i jump on to moto may be the resale value and battery life , other wise that phone is aces

will i jump onto nothing phone ,no it has more cons than poco f4

Not at the mentioned price i already have 870 at lower price
no charger , wont be using wireless charging , wont be doing reverse charging so sd778+ doesn't make sense to me even if it is custom made for nothing phone.
the glyph looks interesting but than i am not to sure about it.
i absolutely love the metal bodied phone ,it definitely feels great its a looker.
it has next to stock android i like it.
no sd card slot ( wont be able to mindlessly switch from one custom roms to another)
no headphone jack (but than i have two 3.5 mm headphones so i have made peace with it)
it will definitely have higher repairing costs
idk how this is "atrocious" pricing. The closest thing to this phone is Samsung Galaxy A53 and that is also around 35k. The Pixel 6A will probably be even higher, close to 40k.
I know phones like poco f4 (30k for 8/128) exist but if what nothing are promising about clean android, fast updates and 4 years of support is true then for me personally, that is easily worth the extra 2k. 778G is good enough unless you play games, so that's not a problem. Plus it has wireless charging to go with their unique design.
few days ago A52s is and was much better buy compared to nothing phone at 28k at reliance digital

For the TG that loves stock Android and wireless charging, it's 2k overpriced. For all others (which is most of India), it's around 7-8k overpriced because then it competes with mi 11 lite, m52, realme 9 pro plus etc.

Also, have used 778 in 2 phones now (mi 11 lite and realme gt me). It drops enough frames in regular browsing. Not saying it is difficult to use but that the performance delta is noticeable. Although the great battery efficiency makes up for it.

I still feel sad that I can't buy it as I already have a new phone. For a stockish Android fan, a light weight premium looking clean phone is something that you don't get in India. Pixel small battery rules it out.

Itsa not too different from taking your phone number and it has the same effect. You can get a new SIM and get a fresh IMSI if you're concerned about it.
Now that you mention it, phone number is better than IMSI. You are most likely to retain it and across carriers

I don't disagree at all. From the company's standpoint it makes sense to price it up there. But for consumers it is not an automatic choice due to the pricing.

Tbh, if I were in market for a mid range phone, I would have chosen Nothing too. Stock Android with regular updates is a pixel for me. Would prefer the 778 over any other Android chip today .
But I think it won't sell a lot just like pixels due to its pricing. Unless ofcourse the hype Machine works well.

Btw please do post a review of the experience.
First batch is already out of stock. The timing was perfect. If they had launched this after Pixel 6a launch in India, it would have been a disaster. Rest depends on word of mouth now. Those who start using the phone will define the course that this company takes in India.

I think they could have a winner here if they do end up providing 2-3 years of software support & good qc & service experience. As some have state before, this phone does fill a void which was left when OnePlus decided to go all crazy with prices & software & many folks do prefer stock android. I really hope carl pie is able to successfully create the magic that Oneplus phone created under him in the earlier Oneplus days.

Only challenge here is that they should have been a bit more aggressive with the pricing for that initial momentum. The other issues is that "minimal spyware" statement. What's up with that? What are they trying to accomplish with that statement? It's like saying we don't really monitor your location continuously but only a couple of times in an hour. That is really stupid, rather they should have honestly mentioned what they are capturing & how that information is going to be used. This might really hurt them if they don't come out clean.

Back