Notice To All Those Who Need Help With Builds and Guide to Rig Suggestions !!

Re: Guide to Rig Suggestions

Good Guide, But disagree to some stuff you have said

4)Do not have a bias.
There is absolutely no reason for you to have an emotional attachment to a company that profits from the products it sells to you. By putting stuff in like, "Intel/AMD/Nvidia/ATi/etc. only!" you're effectively putting limiters on the best you can get in that price-range. A lot of members will not have the patience to make you understand why you shoudn't go for a certain platform/part over the other and will just suggest something according to your wishes, so you're the one losing out here. Avoid. Just keep in mind that any suggestion worth it's salt will follow 1 simple principle: The maximum performance at the given price point.

Why not if you prefer a certain cmpany over something you have the full right to put it up that you don;t want to go for that company. And this could be of many factors including bad RMA experience, lack of service centers in the city or maybe just because of a bad experience with the product.
5)Have an open mind.
Everytime you do something that you've never done before, there will be doubts and questions. Be it spending 3,000 plus on an "SMPS" for the first time or overclocking your CPU/other components. If there is a need for the power, if the components you're buying are OC-capable, the expensive power supply suggestions and OCing tips and targets will be put out. As with everything new, instead of being closed-minded, ask questions, read and increase your knowledge. It's obvious that the final decision will be yours. Rest assured that the rest of us like our components and money just as much as you do.

Not everybody needs an expensive power supply not everybody needs to overclock. You cannot force someone to OC just because it will be better for him if he really doesn't want to. Yes the part about increasing knowledge is important. Rather we who recommend configurations should keep our mind about the requirements of the OP and not suggest a "Gaming Rig" in that budget.

Re: Guide to Rig Suggestions

H2O said:
Good Guide, But disagree to some stuff you have said

Why not if you prefer a certain cmpany over something you have the full right to put it up that you don;t want to go for that company. And this could be of many factors including bad RMA experience, lack of service centers in the city or maybe just because of a bad experience with the product.
Sir, those are good reasons. Why would i call that having a bias? A bias is when you favour a company unreasonably with no good explanation.

H2O said:
Not everybody needs an expensive power supply not everybody needs to overclock. You cannot force someone to OC just because it will be better for him if he really doesn't want to. Yes the part about increasing knowledge is important. Rather we who recommend configurations should keep our mind about the requirements of the OP and not suggest a "Gaming Rig" in that budget.
Quoting from the OP:-
"IF there is a need for the power, IF the components you're buying are OC-capable, the expensive power supply suggestions and OCing tips and targets WILL be put out."
^That's what i was refering to, i don't see how im "forcing" someone to overclock.
On the flip-side, if the person does increase his knowledge, he'd come to the conclusion just like many others that moderate OCing with good know-how of what is being done has zero negative effects. After that, it's his call, and is clearly evident from what has been written IMO.

In anycase, thanks a lot for reading, and i hope i was able to elaborate a bit more on it. :)

@WingZero
Thank you kind sir :)

@Gannu
Thanks a lot for the support :)
To be honest, i think if it had to be sticky'ed , it would've been done by now. I recieved a rep. from a kind mod, that's about it.
Im guessing maybe it isn't "sticky worthy"? :p

And yes, like you said, even if it is sticky'ed im sure a lot of people will post w/o reading it, however i do feel it will make that bit of difference, so it was worth the effort.
On the other hand if it doesn't get sticky'ed, i'll put it in my signature to try and spread the word and save newbies from themselves :p
Thanks again :)

Current Pc Config

Intel C2D 6320 @ 1.86Ghz
1Gb Transcend 667Mhz DDR2
Intel Isleton D946GZIS Motherboard
Had a Nvidia 6600 which I blew up a year back and since then have been running on onboard gfx
19’’ AOC 193SW 5ms LCD monitor
Razer Diamondback 3g
Microsoft Basic Wired Keyboard
Zebronics Basic Cabinet
160Gb HDD
Sony DVD Writer

New PC Budget : 70-75k

My chosen config(Gaming PC)

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard
And
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
Costs 495$ as per the following link: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB
Or
EVGA 017-P3-1175-AR GeForce GTX 275 1792MB

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1175-AR GeForce GTX 275 1792MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
for approx 250$

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
for 125$

(the above four products add to 870$....If you can suggest anything that would be worth the extra bucks spent or anything cheaper….I am getting these things from the states)

870$=43k approx

That leaves me with 27k more to blow up.

Want a nice cabinet with blue leds, good air flow, nice looks for 6-7k at max
Razer products =200$ later=10k
Screen: 23’’ 2ms Samsung Lavender series = 12k probably(I might not change my current monitor)
HDD: atleast 320 GB
DVD Writer
SMPS=6-7k

^ Is this a template/format or request for config :rofl:

Create a new thread in the format suggested by OP.

BTW well put up amien.

Great thread. :)

On the topic of guidelines for those giving suggestions, my pet peeve is the excessive use of the word "period" :p People use it like its the be-all end-all answer to any argument :eek:hyeah: VX450 is the best budget PSU. Period! CM690 is better than Antec 300. Period! A megan fox wallpaper makes your PC faster. Period!
Edit: A quick search came up with perfect examples :)

SB live 5.1~almost crap for music...........yes there is difference in games and a very marginal improvement in music. Period.

Conversion = loss of quality! PERIOD!

dont touch seagate. go for wd. period.

Good thing is that this post is made sticky.

Admins can do one more simple stuff during registration like,

-- Tell new comers not to throw any old Working PCs, instead ask how to upgrade the components if possible or Donate it to charity or Sell it of to people needing it.

This reduces e-waste.

-- People when making suggestions, suggest only stuff needed by the members and stuff that is a little bit Future Proof.

Back