Oberoi Udaivilas is the world's best hotel

Nikhil

Skilled
The Oberoi Udaivilas, the luxury hotel in Udaipur has been rated the best hotel in the world. This is the first time an Indian property has grabbed the No 1 spot. The Udaipur property also tops the lists for best small hotel and best hotel in Asia.

Three out of the top five hotels in Asia are in India. The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra [Images] has been ranked the third best hotel in Asia and 10th best in the world while the The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur is at No 4 in Asia and at No 11 in the world.

Thai hotels account for more than one in four of the properties selected as Asia's best. And while classics still reign -- The Oriental Bangkok debuted at No 1 in 1996 and comes in at No 2 this year -- the popularity of hotels such as Amanpuri, Banyan Tree, and Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai are proof that T+L readers now eagerly venture beyond Thailand's capital to beach resorts on Phuket and jungle retreats in the north.

For the top 50 in Asia, go Oberoi Udaivilas: World's best hotel

Any of the TE members stayed in any one of these top 50 ?

I watched the udaivillas on travel n living ...........its simply superb....

"who is that idiot who said, having money is not everything in life ! :p"

Money cant bring you happiness, but you can look for it faster in a convertible :p

This was the siggy of some guy here on TE.

There is another one ---- Those who say money cant buy you happiness dont know where to shop.

So true. :p

worst part and the irony of the fact is most of these Indian best's are even beyond the reach of most Indians!

Replying here from Udaivillas, Udaipur.
Besides this Oberoi property (which also includes Trident Resort) other good hotels / resorts here are
1) Lake Palace - Taj Group

2) Devi Garh Palace Hotel

3) Hotel Leela Group's upcoming deluxe resort.

4) Shiv Nivas Palace (belongs to HRH King of Mewar)

All are virtually above US$ 500 per room per day excluding food.

deejay said:
Besides this Oberoi property (which also includes Trident Resort) other good hotels / resorts here are

OMG !!! Lucky lucky lucky !!!

blr_p said:
Can someone define the criteria that goes into these 'best' of's...

?

Lot of things. The surroundings (lawn, swimming pool, etc..), amenities of the hotel (spa, swimming pool, gym, etc..), restaurants, room (size, quality, amenities in the room, etc..), room service, general service.

There may be more but these are among the important ones

Nikhil said:
Lot of things. The surroundings (lawn, swimming pool, etc..), amenities of the hotel (spa, swimming pool, gym, etc..), restaurants, room (size, quality, amenities in the room, etc..), room service, general service.

There may be more but these are among the important ones

ok and who compiles these lists ?

Does customer feedback have any effect on rankings ?

..its all a bit hazy.

I think the reason for this article us a recent snub by a European chain over an Indian take-over ?..they don't really think that Indian & premium deluxe go together in the same sentence.

What can you do about that ?

Nothing, go after something else.

deejay said:
But i hope i won't hve to spend a penny when in Udaipur. :rofl: :ashamed:
How come i see your location as 'Mumbai' today? ^o

Back