Budget 0-20k Objective criteria for choosing between Intel i-5 11th generation Vs 12th generation Vs AMD Ryzen 5 5500U CPU for Laptop

alpha5555

Disciple
Hello Friends

Can you experts please guide me regarding the OBJECTIVE CRITERIA that should be used for deciding about which particular CPU to buy?

What kind of steps do you follow to reach to the final conclusion? Are you aware of any links which will show the Honest/Authentic Comparison between these 3 CPU, which we can trust?

I was about to buy a 2 in 1 convertible laptop earlier, but most of the friends here have suggested me to instead buy a laptop + tablet combination, which will cost almost the same as a good convertible laptop and which will give better user experience overall. Thanks to all the friends for cautioning and guiding me beforehand in this regards. Now all the specs for the laptop are clear in my mind, but I am still confused about the CPU, which exact CPU should I go for?

My usage requirements for this CPU would be -
This laptop will be used for normal Microsoft Office type of application usage and web browsing and attending online training classes, watching video tutorials and making video calls. This will never be used for any type of VIDEO GAMES or heavy duty video editing work etc. of any type. And Battery back up - minimum 5-7hrs, the more the better.

Regards

The reason to AVOID many a times intel chips is primarily as they get too hot and can thermal throttle (get too hot and reduce the speed) along with worse battery life compared to an AMD laptop. For your use case a 6 core processor with 12 threads is good, if possible a 5600u otherwise a 5500u is fine but for further future proofing get atleast 16GB RAM along with 512GB storage. If you can get a 5700u or 5800u (eight cores 16 threads) is pretty good. Many may miss out on a good screen so try to get a 2K display if you can.

Now as for the tablet like I've already mentioned in your previous post, get a basic ipad with the apple pencil (check if you can get the pencil second hand) and use OneNote to jot everything down.

Thanks again for the suggestions @Sammoka

The comparison between these 2 CPU "Intel Core i5 1155G7 vs AMD Ryzen 5 5500U" shows these key differences in the final result -

Advantages of Intel Core i5 1155G7
  • Supports up to 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM
  • Newer - released 5-months later
  • Newer PCI Express version – 4.0
  • 26% faster in a single-core Geekbench v5 test - 1383 vs 1094 points
  • 13% higher Turbo Boost frequency (4.5 GHz vs 4 GHz)
Advantages of AMD Ryzen 5 5500U
  • Has 2 more physical cores
  • More modern manufacturing process – 7 versus 10 nanometers
  • Consumes up to 11% less energy than the Core i5 1155G7 – 25 vs 28 Watt
More details available here -

Although I am not sure if I am comparing the appropriate model numbers of both the CPU in above link.

Back