PC Peripherals Of PSU, UPS, PFC and Sine wave

Any VX450 owners facing any problems with non sine wave UPS? I had no idea and bought a APC Backup UPS 800va and though its running absolutely fine, after reading this thread im a bit apprehensive. There is buzzing during battery backup but it seems to be coming from the UPS itself :S (the same buzz that occurs when the UPS starts up)

Back-UP RS1500 + Corsair VX450/TX750 (2 rigs).

No issues expect the buzz when power goes out, and it comes from every supply connected to the UPS as well as the UPS itself.

Thanx for the info..If only I had read this a few days earlier I wouldnt have bought a APC BackUPS 1000VA for my Corsair 650TX :ashamed:. My rig is pretty new and now I dont wanna take any risks here..I am gonna change to a Smart UPS. Meanwhile, I have disconncted my BackUPS and am considering to sell it soon.
In Active PFC and simulated sine-wave scenario, would there be any damage to the UPS in itself?..Or is it only the PSU that might get affected?..Since I am gonna sell the UPS, I need to be sure it hasnt taken any damage..Thanx once again..

Friends, What PSU would you suggest for my following rig:

C2D E4300 1.2Ghz (Will Upgrade to better proccy soon)

2GB RAM (Will upgrade to 4GB soon)

XFX 8600GT 256MB (Will upgrade to Rs.10k GFX soon)

ABIT IP35-E (No upgradation)

Proview single battery UPS.

My budget is about Rs.2k-3k.

bodmas said:
Friends, What PSU would you suggest for my following rig:
C2D E4300 1.2Ghz (Will Upgrade to better proccy soon)
2GB RAM (Will upgrade to 4GB soon)
XFX 8600GT 256MB (Will upgrade to Rs.10k GFX soon)
ABIT IP35-E (No upgradation)
Proview single battery UPS.
My budget is about Rs.2k-3k.

Gigabyte Superb 460W should be OK but you better wait for an answer from someone who uses the same UPS. This PSU has active PFC.

bodmas said:
whats is active PFC?
Active power factor correction. It means there is a electronics circuit that monitors and continually corrects for non-unity power factor.
By contrast, passive PFC is just a capacitor or two that approximately compensate for the normal inductance of the input circuit.

My pc config
Intel E5300 @ 3.512Ghz (1.25v) | Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | Kingston 2GB (DDR2-800) @ 749Mhz | Seagate 2 x 80GB + WD 320GB (SATA) | MSI 4670 (1GB-GDDR3) | GlacialStars GS-500A | Lite-On DVD-RW (IDE) + Samsung DVD-RW (SATA) | CM Elite 334 | Dell E1909W | Creative A300 | Netgear DM111PUSP | HP F380 | Microtek Heritage+ 600VA

I am looking forward to these:
1) FSP Saga II 350 Watts @ Rs :1600/- + Shipping (2yrs warranty)
2) ZEBRONICS PS30-PRO 350W POWER SUPPLY @ Rs :1490.00/- + Shipping (3yrs warranty)
(Both say 80% but are not certified)

My current psu is working great but it has 65-72% efficiency and fan is loud while running. I have heard greater efficiency means greater power savings so i am looking to any of these. Also i will not be upgrading my pc anytime soon, just adding few hdds in future.

Kindly recommend me which one should i go with and if you have any other suggestions then do throw them also.

So which is better Active PFC with no UPS or normal PSU with a normal UPS ?

Cos everyone can't afford the highly priced APC Smart UPs but they want to run their video card with good PSU like Corsair VX450W.....

Hi, Im looking for a 1000VA UPS for a Computer & some sensitive equipment.
Please suggest some good UPS with aprox. prices.

Tarcxy said:
Thanx for the info..If only I had read this a few days earlier I wouldnt have bought a APC BackUPS 1000VA for my Corsair 650TX :ashamed:. My rig is pretty new and now I dont wanna take any risks here..I am gonna change to a Smart UPS. Meanwhile, I have disconncted my BackUPS and am considering to sell it soon.
In Active PFC and simulated sine-wave scenario, would there be any damage to the UPS in itself?..Or is it only the PSU that might get affected?..Since I am gonna sell the UPS, I need to be sure it hasnt taken any damage..Thanx once again..

No need to get so paranoid. Past 7-8 months I have been using my APC RS-1100 (non smart), with my TX650. No problem as such. There are umpteen users here usinig Active PFC PSUs, I doubt all are using pure sine wave UPS's. Only when I start the computer, there is a slight whine from the UPS, for 4-5 seconds, then it runs fine. Also I doubt this scenario would damage the UPS -- ACTIVE PFC PSU powered by a simulated sine-wave scenario. Though from where did this idea come from any where..."Active PFC PSU HAS TO have backup using Pure Sine wave UPS.". If someone could show some rock-solid links, would be nice. Also the word 'smart', is specific to the APC range of UPS. And the unique selling point of 'smart', is the software connectivity. You can read the link here. In fact there is one model in there labeled as "smart", which does not even have pure sine wave output...!

@Revolution:
You can read a Johnny Guru thread here. The are dabbling about what you seem worried about. Even they have not come to a definitive answer. But no ways, should some dump their existent UPS (unless it cannot support load) just cause it does not supply pure sine wave.

Just fyi for people having doubts with the FSP saga 2 power supplies, its working perfectly on my el cheapo luminous UPS :D. Just the normal hissing sound you get with things running on stepped sine wave, no other issues.

Guys, I have:

Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.66
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
8GB OCZ Vista Performance Gold DDR2 800MHz (1.8v)
2x WD1001FALS 1TB SATA Hard Drives
XFX 9400GT

Now, all this is running on iBall 400w at the moment. I have an Antec SmartPower 350w SMPS bought about 5 years ago.
Questions:

1. Should I use the Antec? Will it be able to handle this?

2. I will soon be getting an ATi Radeon 5870.. which PSU is recommended for this setup?

3. Instead of a UPS, I am using a SuKam Home UPS Falcon 800VA. LINK

What is the maximum wattage PSU that this 800VA can handle? Will the Active PFC interfere? This inverter is listed as Pure Sine Wave..

Please help. :)

guys, i have bought microtek 800va UPS and corsair cx400 PSU . please tell me if this would cause any damages to my PSU. I heard that the corsair PSUs are pure sinewave only. I am very much worried . As for now it gives backup for about 35-40 mins.... Please advice...

anfjavid said:
guys, i have bought microtek 800va UPS and corsair cx400 PSU . please tell me if this would cause any damages to my PSU. I heard that the corsair PSUs are pure sinewave only. I am very much worried . As for now it gives backup for about 35-40 mins.... Please advice...
^^^Run your computer in full load (OCCT). Then switch off the mains. If it works VOILA no problem.
Guys plz suggest me a ups as well. Check out my siggy for PC configuration. If current goes when PC on load my UPS as expected doesnot give backup. First I could hear my HDD stop spinning then BSOD :mad:. I dont understand why the hell my ups dont give any overload beeps at all. To top it all in our area line voltage fluctuates like hell (Dont ask why:mad:). So i guess when those fluctuations (just for 1ns or so) happen if it goes beyond ups working voltage range, ups will suddenly switch to backup mode even for that 1 ns. Is this why my hdd stops spinning when voltage fluctuates (Ofcourse when on load)? Would a Microtek 800VA ups be enough for my rig? I found its working voltage range to be 135-300V compared to 160-240V in APC ups.
And guys please dont suggest me SMART UPSes. I dont have the MOOLAH to spend for it.

Back