Old thinkpad t series vs newer budget laptops?help me decide

kadavul

Recruit
Hi TE!

I am in a sort of dilemna. There is a used, 2 year old thinkpad t61p on sale which is still under warranty. It is in good physical condition but the asking price is 25K. The sale is through a known person.

I have a budget of 25K but is it worth spending so much on a used thinkpad vs a new budget notebook?

The thinkpad's specs are: Core2duo T7700@2.4Ghz, 15.4" 1920x1200 WUXGA display, nvidia quadro FX570M(256mb),100GB 7200 rpm drive, 2 GB RAM and other thinkpad bells and whistles like ultrabay, thinklight etc. The owner has installed the extended battery.

If I get a new notebook at the same price point(maybe a little more), what would be my options. My activities with the laptop will include coding, design (photoshop,illustrator) and some gaming. I know I cant expect the latest games to run but i would atleast expect games released 2-3 years ago to run smoothly.

Also, Is it a good rate to pay for the thinkpad considering it is an older generation laptop?

Please help me decide.Thanks.

The deal seems good but whether you want to get a used notebook is for you to decide. The specs are better than any other notebook you get for 25k. :) FHD screen!!!!!

If your budget is strictly 25k then this could be a good deal. And be sure to upgrade the RAM to 4GB

not worth make sure check the benchmark and Photoshop setting at nvidia quadro fx laptop before it run smooth at heavy setting or else test at i3 with nvidia basic gpu card that means need more cpu and gpu power rating ;)

I suppose Thinkpad was bought with extended 3-year warranty, so 1-year warranty is still remaining. Thinkpad can easily last 3-4 years at least. There is no comparison between build quality and features of Thinkpad and a brand-new laptop that you will get in 25K. If you value the high-resolution screen and are happy with the condition of the laptop, 25K seems to be decent deal. The C2D processor will be enough for your work, but upgrading to 4GB RAM will definitely help.

So, if you need high-resolution screen for your work go for the Thinkpad.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the replies. Even I am leaning towards the Thinkpad after reading about it. Also please let me know what you think about the following deal:
ebay- Lenovo T400 2.4Ghz 4GB

@arun:
Is there any specific model that I can check the benchmarks for before I buy?

Thank you.

^^

Don't worry. The GPU you are getting with it is better than any other new laptop that you can buy in this range. And that ebay deal does not seem good. Crappy Intel IGP and overall just not good enough

Thanks! Guess I'll go with the thinkpad then. But just learnt that the warranty expires this month:(. Which makes it three years old. I am considering negotiating it for 23K types. Opinions?

^^

How long do you intend to keep this notebook with you ? I am guessing it will work fine for around 2 more years. And yes try to get him to lower the price around 23k :)

Back