One reader to rule them all!

Congrats... e-Ink is really amazing for text. I have once seen a cheapo mobile phone with an e-Ink screen. The screen looked as if its a paper with text printed on it.

Great! I was thinking of buying an ereader too, but finally decided to wait a bit longer.

I heard you cannot zoom and pan PDFs on the nook, but you can do the same on the Kindle. I would actually prefer the Kindle over the Nook, but the lack of epub support on the Kindle is sad :( But, then you have Calibre for all your book conversion needs.

I am presonally looking forward to the Asus ereaders. Or, maybe even the Adam - even though a little large for an ebook reader, you can switch the screen to reflective to make it look like E-Ink!

^ Thanks everyone! My uncle flew down from the U.S. and I requested him to get it for me. :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dhruvrock2000 said:
I really really want one of these but am waiting for the Notion Ink Adam with the Pixel Qi screen which is as good as e-ink but with color
Actually I had thought of that earlier, but there are some problems with that line of thinking.

Firstly, it is no way going to be as cheap as this. And most probably, this is going to get even cheaper with the price war between the e-readers now ( Sony, Nook and Kindle ). You can see massive price cuts everywhere.

Secondly, if you are thinking that I'm going to be able to have a reader and a tablet in one device, let me tell you that reading for a long duration holding a 10" screen in your hand is nowhere as simple as it seems. With the 6" screen, I read a novel yesterday night, lying in bed, with the lights off ( after attaching the add-on light ) for around 1 hour. I don't think that it is possible with a device having a 10" screen. You'll simply have to use both hands and that is going to be very uncomfortable.

Thirdly, when there are so many things to do on a device, apart from reading, you are bound to get distracted. You may want to check your mail, browse through your playlist, play a game etc. With this dedicated device, I'm only thinking about the book when I'm reading. :)

Those are my humble observations as to why I zoned down on the Nook instead of an iPad or an Adam ( in the future ) for reading books/novels.

Edit: Two more advantages of the Nook that I forgot to mention -

1. The battery is replaceable. You don't have to send it back like the iPad.

2. The back cover is replaceable. That is going to make the Nook brand new again if it gets dirty and scratched. :)

congratulations, and I am happy to see you are so much satisfied....

But for such a unidimensional device, I would have liked it to be around 5k, :p, that would have made me buy it with my eyes closed.....I know its not possible but whats the problem in dreaming, hehehe

@banik, 149/- isn't far from 5k you know :p (If you can source it from the US that is)
The nook might have troubled days ahead of it :(
Amazon has just been granted a patent for a dualscreen devices. the application was submitted 3-4 years ago and just got approved.

^ You know what I think... and that is not because I've bought this. A reader has to be light and have a single screen. Let's see what Amazon comes up with.

One disadvantage of Nook right now is that even when you store your ebooks in different folders on the Nook (on your computer where it shows up like a usb device), you will see them in a single file list on the device under "My Documents". The team has promised to come up with something in the next update.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

thebanik said:
congratulations, and I am happy to see you are so much satisfied....

But for such a unidimensional device, I would have liked it to be around 5k, :p, that would have made me buy it with my eyes closed.....I know its not possible but whats the problem in dreaming, hehehe
You can't say that it is not possible. The prices of all ebook readers have been slashed by more than 50$ in the past 2 months. So, it is inevitable.

Sudarshan_SMD said:
Congratulations. Enjoi. :)

Now that you are showing it off, I won't be surprised if many will follow you and get an NOOK. :p
For anyone and everyone who is into reading novels, this is the best option as of now. They won't regret it. :)

Amaresh said:
Great buy, the Nook looks terrific! Can't wait to see it in person ;)

Aaja aaja, I'll be waiting! :)

XTechManiac said:
Congrats.. Happy Reading!

/me jealous :p
Hahaha no need to be jealous, it's just a reader. :p

Hey Sei, how good do the PDFs look? Is the lack of PDF zoom and pan an issue?

If they add PDF zoom and pan in a firmware upgrade, I am buying this the next day!

Looks awesome. Nice to see you went with the recommendations made in the earlier thread about buying an e-reader. Funny thing is I just picked up a Sony PRS-505 ereader from techie_007 after recommending this to you so much :)

orangewrath said:
Woah, looks really awesome, congrats!!

Thanks!
sreenisatish said:
Hey Sei, how good do the PDFs look? Is the lack of PDF zoom and pan an issue?

If they add PDF zoom and pan in a firmware upgrade, I am buying this the next day!

There is no PDF zoom feature as of now and even in the Sony reader, people have complained that it is a pain to zoom into each and every page to see what is written. So, documents with image scans, like comics are out. But I loaded up a huge tech manual, around 650 pages. What it does is divide each page into a no of pages for the nook. So, the first pdf page may be spread over 2-3 nook pages, if that makes any sense, and so on. I was able to adjust the font size and the pages adjusted themselves.

neoronin said:
Looks awesome. Nice to see you went with the recommendations made in the earlier thread about buying an e-reader. Funny thing is I just picked up a Sony PRS-505 ereader from techie_007 after recommending this to you so much :)
That's good too! Enjoy! :)

chiron said:
Is it possible to readcomics/manga scans on these e-book readers (in monochrome of course)?
No, the cbr or cbz support here. I've already spoken about the pdfs. I think a bigger screen will be required in order to view comics. 10" will do just fine.

First of all congrats. After a lot of deliberation between this and the iPad i have decided to buy this and save some money . From what I've read , PDF support in general in all readers isn't that great . What about ePub ? Are ePub files rendered well . Basically , is it possible to load my own books (in whatever format) and having them rendered properly.

Also do you happen to know whether this is available at all B&N stores or only selected ones.

Also , how much does your battery last ?

Back