Audio Onkyo 3100 or Edifier s550 or Edifier DA5000 for PC??

mib2_007

Disciple
hello buddies.. I am going to buy a new speaker system for my PC. Upgrading from Creative T6050.

So I have heard a lot about all these all around and looking for a good movie and gaming based sound system.

Please guide me through. Using onboard sound.

I am really confused among these

Edifier M3350 (approx 4500) --> really cheap setup

Edifier DA5000 or Altec Lansing MX5051 (both around 9000) --> better setup but doesn't know if difference would be noticeable to my noob ears than the M3350

Onkyo HT3100 or Edifier s550 (Logitech Z5500 if someone really pushes :S) --> pretty costly for me too but will see if sound is really noticeably different that DA5000 or FX5051.

You guy guide me... really need some help.

Also should I go for Xonar or XFi Fatality something like that to feel the difference??

Motherboard has a onboard SPDIF/coaxial out port.

I usually watch Blur-Ray 1080p rips (13Gb sizes with I think Dolby and DTS encoding)

Thanks in advance guys. Help me out.

5.1 is good for gaming + movies. For Music 2.1 is good.

If u want 5.1 then Logitech z5500 best .Logitech Z5500 total 505RMS.

And if u want 2.1 then Mx5021 .

See,

until you can specify a budget no one can suggest you.

But one thing if u dont hav knowledge in equalizer and other settings dont go for z5500 . I have one and its quiet hard to control the boomy bass.

Better eidifer...and i hav also heard the onkyo 3100 .. it really surpasses its specs.

music is not my concern. With the quality of films I watch, sound really doesn't match up on those Creative's of mine. So I want mainly for movies and secondly for games. Budget is 10000 but i am willing to loosen up if it makes a difference.

Good 5.1 systems are hard to come buy within 10 grand in India. Since movies & games are your first preference I will suggest a top of the line 2.1 PC speaker than a mediocre 5.1 at your budget.

Under 10K 2.1 PC speakers:

1) Logitech Z-2300 (INR 8,500)

2) Logitech Z-623 (INR 8,500)

3) Altec Lansing MX-6021 (INR 7,500)

4) Sony SRS DB-500 (INR 9,000)

If you want my personal choice, it is always going to be Z-2300. How much do Edifier S550 costs? I herd they are 19K grand in India.

S550 will be around 15000 as on ebay. How would a 2.1 help in movies? isn't surround sound the better option for games and movies?

mib2_007 said:
S550 will be around 15000 as on ebay. How would a 2.1 help in movies? isn't surround sound the better option for games and movies?

Thats right, a 2.1 will never be able to procreate surround sound. But in movies & games you also need a powerful subwoofer to provide the cinematic & gaming experience. These 2.1 have powerful subs.

On the other hand 5.1 under ten grand lacks a powerful subwoofer. It is trade off, you want surround sound or powerful blow all in your face sound. I will definitely buy a 2.1 at your budget.

You can get Logitech Z-5500 for 16k in a few places. But the only worry about Edifier's are they said they provide only 6 Months warranty compared to 2 years warranty on Logitech.

Two good channels >>>> 5 crappy ones.

The 3100 is pretty weak because it has concentrated on lights and goodies, plus 5 speakers and 5 channels of amplification.

The Edifiers are expensive but currently the feedback on them is pretty good. The trusted old MX5021 still has my vote (if you can find it!), whether for music or movies. The subwoofer of all these speakers is terrible, but the Z5500 is the only one that will rattle your house (and itself to bits eventually).

cranky said:
Two good channels >>>> 5 crappy ones.

The 3100 is pretty weak because it has concentrated on lights and goodies, plus 5 speakers and 5 channels of amplification.

The Edifiers are expensive but currently the feedback on them is pretty good. The trusted old MX5021 still has my vote (if you can find it!), whether for music or movies. The subwoofer of all these speakers is terrible, but the Z5500 is the only one that will rattle your house (and itself to bits eventually).
I second this, The best u can get is Edifier S550, I have used Z5500-D, actually I have bought it for my frnd and used it personally for about a week and I don't like it's sound quality in music as well as in movies.

yeah... even i am not considering Z5500. Am really making up my mind for DA5000pro. Tell me how can I optimally get the 'feel' of Dolby DTS decoded movies from these speakers? Would I have to buy Asus Xonar DX or Creative Titanium?

where can you get a S550 for 15K ? min price i can find is 17K .

Look you done have a BUdget set :

IF 15K is the BUDGET , S550 if off your budget! , why? cause you will need to spend on a good soundcard worth 6-7K.

and if you spend that much ( 17.5K + 6K = 23.5 K ) , it would be a lot better to get a onkyo 3300 cause it accepts s/PDIF inputs ( that you alrady have with your motherboard ). and this willbe better for movies and games than s550.+ you get a receiver that is future proof( you can upgrade speakers later :D)

if its strictly below 15K , Z550 is your best bet for movies and games !!

SO, look in to your wallet first, How much there really is ? then decide.

why are you looking for a multimedia setup if you are very much crazy with movies.

you will only get the wide and dynamic effect of a movie only from a good receiver connected with good speakers so please look at onkyo hts 3300 it will give you all.edifier s550 is also good but my opinion is onkyo hts 3300.spend money for it.it is really a valuable system for you

how much it costs over here? And how can be Dolby DTS signals decoded by a PC? I heard sound cards can't do it. Have to install Auzentec X-Tension card for it. Is that so?

Back