Windows Online data recovery from Windows 10 laptop ?

Futureized

Skilled
A friend of mine (not at all techy) has windows 10 laptop, he accidentally SHIFT+DELETED an important folder.
Got very crucial data in same..

I have a Windows 7 PC, are there any tools (which can be bought) to do online data recovery ?

Thanks.

Fist of all, this is a very sensitive matter. If and when such thing happens you need to immediately pull the plug on power or make sure that the drive is stopped being written to.
Data is not really deleted unless it's overwritten by new data. Now if it's an OS drive the damage might be already done (there's still might be a chance) but if it was secondary drive and absolutely no data was written onto it, not even a single bit then it's 100% recoverable.

You don't need to buy any software for such recovery, free software like Recuva, Minitool data recovery, EaseUS data recovery can work. Just make sure no data is written onto the disk at all while you plug it onto a different computer or the same if it was a secondary drive.

Another important thing when you recover the data choose the restore location not to be in the same physical drive. Restore it into a different physical drive. This is to avoid overwriting deleted data which you're trying to recover while restoring. Many software block you from doing so but some don't.

Thanks.
Laptop model Hp envy x360 m6.
It has only 1 drive! Data is on OS drive., after accidentally deleting folder, he s browsing using Chrome searching Google to recover data.

Does any of above tools helps in online data recovery?

It's probably already too late, it might be partially recoverable or not at all now.

No, these have to be installed on a system and then recovery is done locally. I advise to immediately cease the use of that device to prevent further loss.

It's probably already too late, it might be partially recoverable or not at all now.

No, these have to be installed on a system and then recovery is done locally. I advise to immediately cease the use of that device to prevent further loss.
I suggested my friend to turn off his laptop, he did same after around 30 minutes of file deletion, when he spoke with me.

If the laptop has an SSD and Windows 10 then I don't think you have any chance for data recovery. Forget about it.

Let it be a lesson to learn to use google drive, dropbox etc.

We all have been there. Learnt the hard way.

You may also want to run any recovery attempts via booting from a rescue usb disk created on another system.
I dont think bootable disk shall be helpful to recover deleted files ? Morever, dont have the same.
If the laptop has an SSD and Windows 10 then I don't think you have any chance for data recovery. Forget about it.

Let it be a lesson to learn to use google drive, dropbox etc.

We all have been there. Learnt the hard way.
Not SSD its SATA

I dont think bootable disk shall be helpful to recover deleted files ? Morever, dont have the same.
It would if you had one of the many WinPE rescue disks handy. Booting from that would help avoid writing on the HDD while allowing you to run any of the recovery utilities.

My friend hired a local computer hardware engineer, who was able to recover 80% of data, used another pc to recover data.
Rest of the data my friend is adding again.
It was his company accounts software data.

Well he probably did the same thing we suggested. Good that it was partially recoverable. I was kinda sure 100% won't be the case since the drive was OS drive and was used after deletion of the said data.

Let this be a lesson for him to not click Yes/OK or press Enter on messages without reading first.

Back