Storage Solutions Operating portable 2.5" HDD within pouch – Advisable ?

jinvidia

Adept
(1) Is it safe to operate 2.5†portable HDD without taking it out of piranah soft pouch ?

(2) Will it cause any havoc to the unit even if I operate for a short period (for ex. 15 – 20 Mins) within pouch ?

(3) Or will it cause any issue if secured inside the pouch for around 2-3 hours for watching movie ?

thanx in advance

most of the external hdd, especially the 2.5" ones doesnt heat up and its safe to use inside pouch. Just to make sure, use inside the pouch for around 1 hour, and immediately take it out without shaking it much and without disconnecting and see if its hot. MY verbatim 1tb usb3 and iomega 500gb usb 2 is always inside hard cases and i connect the usb pin by slightly unzipping a small portion. use hd tune to check temps of those hdds too, with and without the pouch. A rise of 3~4c is no problem.

exactly, even i use hd tune to check temps. I can notice that it increases by 4 around 15 - 20 mins..

Moreover the front portion where the usb port is situated i have kept it open by inserting the closing portion of the pouch into the pouch itself.

In simple terms the front usb portion of the hdd rests over the closing portion of the pouch...

@ op: you are taking safe sex to the next level
<

1) Safe. I have been using a couple of my HDDs in such a manner

2) Fine for short period

3) Take it out while using for longer duration

1) Safe. I have been using a couple of my HDDs in such a manner

2) Fine for short period

3) Take it out while using for longer duration
By combining points 1.2, and 3.. its not safe basically.

Cuz its more like taking a chance that when will the vulnerable hdd is gonna give way.

@OP

Good question. Will like to see anybody with a more conclusive data to provide a definitive answer.

Back