Laptops Opinion Required - Acer Aspire 5738

hellgate said:
got a Acer Aspire 5738G from Nehru Place bout a week ago for 40k.i'm very satisfied with its performance.no lappy in that range comes close to its performance.till now havent had the chanceto run any games on it but i'm running 2 virtual os (win2k3 Server & Red Hat Enterprise Edition 5.0) on top of Vista SP2 and perf is just gr8.
if u can then go for the 5738G instead of 5738 cuz the 5738G has 1Gb (2x2GB DDR3 1066) more ram & dedicated gfx card.

What about the heat? Does it generate more heat? Please clarify

hotshot05 said:
Ever heard of the Zenith Director Plus Ultra???
It beats the 5738G comfortably in gaming performance but costs only around 39k.
+1...It's a heavily loaded lappy.. can be compared to high end Studio or XPs series from DELL. But many people are afraid of Zenith's build quality. Zenith Lappy's come from OEM Quanta. they provide for HCL as well.

Just a couple of queries I had as well:

1. How's the heating in 5738z?

2. How's the sound quality? I checked it out at Croma today, it did not sound too good. The sales guy also said something like the sound quality's affected due to Dolby.

It does get a bit warm on the left side of laptop if there is a prolonged usage. But otherwise its just normal compared to others.

Sound Quality and noise level is very much satisfactory as per my experience.

Thanks Anish.

Just wanted to check if laptops are cheaper in Delhi (Nehru Place) compared to Lamington.

Also, is there an extended warranty offer from Acer?

In case I buy the linux version now, can I buy OEM windows home premium later at the same price (Rs 3500 price difference between 5738 and 5738z) or will I have to pay more?

What's the price of 5738 with Windows Vista Home Premium? This one looks like my favorite config if it is indeed for 33k or less.

I feel lamington is a bit expensive compared to NP.

I am not sure about the 2nd and the 3rd question, but AFAIK, Acer does provide extended warranty.

You might have to check it out with Acer regarding Operating system.

I had once accompanied my friend to buy Acer 5738 in Croma. He bought it for 34.9k with a Deskjet printer which was free of cost along with the laptop.

sdhanju2007 said:
I think Acer 5739g is much better than 5738 as it gives bluray player and better graphicss for 50000rs

Acer 5738 costs Rs.33k while Acer 5739G costs Rs.50k. The difference in price is almost 17k!!!

What you are saying is almost similiar to someone saying that Toyota Innova is better than Maruti Alto/Tata Indica!

P.S: you sure Acer is giving a Blu-ray drive at that price?

I've been quoted Rs 27k for an acer 5738z. I had a couple of queries:
Is it generally possible to negotiate prices further. Most dealers refuse to even discuss the possibility, even when I am willing to buy one outright.
Is there any particular store I should go to? Who would be the cheapest dealer on Lamington for laptops. In Delhi, if you go to Computer Empire, you can be reasonably sure of getting the lowest prices.
Can I pick up the laptop from any dealer on lamington or should I check up the list on Acer's website to be sure that the warranty is honoured?

there is this shop at lamington called gigahertz/megahertz.. i dont remember the name exactly

its on the main road.. they quoted me the lowest price for acer 5738z which was 27.5K 2 weeks back.. and they are listed on acer website..

That was perhaps the best quote i got at lamington.

bt i decided to get the lappy from prime coz it was my first purchase from lamington.

i got the same price after pestering them for sometime bt had to compromise on the freebies.

cheapo mouse and headset

laptop cooling kit that comes with those led fans.. i guess they cost arnd 200-300 otherwise

and a cleaning kit.

megahertz was offering me all of these along with the lappy in the price mentioned.

I used this 5738 for a month - the floating keypad is cool the screen contrast & brightness is crap the system is fast with DDR3 , but the DVD tray is an another crap

What's wrong with the DVD tray? The screen looked alright to me when I saw it at Croma? Which laptop did you compare it with?

Any other issues with this laptop?

the display aint that bad as some of u r making it out ot be.
its not as good when compared to similarly priced VAIO (i'm talking bout 5738G) but when compared to HP & DELL its more or less the same.

Yeah. I guess he's comparing the prices of the 5738G with the Vaio. How does the Dell WLED screen compare with this screen? Is there a difference between WLED and LED screen?

Back