Options after MBBS

teche

Adept
Hi friends, I've completed my MBBS & am in no mood for post-grad. in Medicine. What are the other options one can look at post MBBS, leaving aside pursuing further studies?

The right question here is, do you want to stay in clinical medicine or not? Or even in anything related to medicine?

If you want to practice medicine without doing a post-grad, then you'll always remain a general practitioner (GP) and obviously progress will reach a plateau sooner or later.

If you are considering leaving medicine altogether then you could do MBA.

Bottom line is that there is no progress without further studies. You simply have to study something or the other to do anything in life.

i totally agree with op

first decide what u want to do then we can advise.....i would'nt recommend leaving the medical field altogether unless u r really passionate with something else...

As I mentioned Im not keen for Post Grad or MBA. I could still carry on with Medicine as a career, sans further course studies.
Short courses could be fine though(~2-6months, nothing more).

I could do a Housejob in Medicine, any ideas on what kind of stipends can we get?

Also, what sort of salary structure exists for an MBBS in both Private & Govt. setup?

teche said:
As I mentioned Im not keen for Post Grad or MBA. I could still carry on with Medicine as a career, sans further course studies.

Short courses could be fine though(~2-6months, nothing more).

I could do a Housejob in Medicine, any ideas on what kind of stipends can we get?

Also, what sort of salary structure exists for an MBBS in both Private & Govt. setup?
Like I said earlier, without further studies and specialization, a career in medicine is very very stagnant. You can pursue short CMEs and refresher courses from time to time but they are of no use unless they are being counted towards your education.

If you do housejobs then you will remain a house officer for all your life. Maybe, just maybe you'll keep getting better offers from various hospitals but believe me there will be an upper limit to all offers. And that limit will be reached sooner or later.

Stipends for house officers ranges from 10k to 40k. If at all you progress after that,maybe become a senior house officer, then your salary will increase but definitely not by much. The pay scale also depends on the type of hospital you work in. If it is a private hospital then they start low but go to a still higher stipend. If it is a government setup then you are more less stuck at one level.

There is one option though. You could get in touch with some big MNCs and ask them for openings. You could work as their resident medical officer and conduct physicals for all the people they employ and want to bring into the company. You will be working a 9-5 job, will have a decent, read 40k-ish, salary, and just might get some company benefits if you stick around for a long time. You won't have to study anything and just work in a basic capacity.

One of my friends got such an offer from a company based in Gurgaon. They were ready to pay him 30k for working from 9am to 1pm, doing some basic medical checkups and generally sitting around. They also offered him fuel compensation. You could seriously try and find out some companies who are looking for medical officers.

Quiet frankly you have to do something if you want to be a medical practitioner these days. Even people today prefer a M.D. to a MBBS GP for simple consultation.

If you do not have energy for M.D as getting in a recognised college for M.D. of your choice is damn difficult these days, you can do DNB. There is also an option to do a Hospital Management Course but that too is full time 2 year course.

Otherwise you can work as resident in hospitals but that is where you will stay. But if you land a job in a big private hospital, the pay here is quiet good. There are other options like working for TPAs as they employ doctors for screening of forms.

There are other options like entering into the supply market, dealing in medical equipments or working in / opening your own diagnostic centre (if you have resources to do so, its very profitable business these days ).

Honestly your best bet is to do DNB. You can work as resident and do DNB is same hospital which is real plus of DNB. You learn and earn at the same time.

Me too in the same situation!! lol

but I'm interested in hospital mgmt!

on the other hand, dad wants me to do Post graduation from abroad! :(

I don't wanna leave home lol! (too much racism going on abroad)

Sorry to tell you but assuming that you are an average to above average student from an above average college, a plain MBBS with no work exp will probably land you a job of 10-20k pm 8-10 hours 6 days, in case you are lucky enough to get a job. With 10-15 years experience you may get 30-50k CTC pm and even if you do end up in practice, it would be hard to cross a lac a month even by 35-40.

You need to do Super specialization in medicine from a good place if you want to practice, else go in for a good MBA.

When I joined MBBS I used to dream about being a neurosurgeon!! (being interested in brain and all)

but as I started to go further into it , I realized that only a special few can actually realize that dream!!

Getting through in PG entrance is a nearly impossible(not totally impossible) here! let alone getting to do PG in your 1st choice of subject! :S

Clear UPSC and become Medical Officer for govt and country. It is combo of administrative and clinical duties. Equivalent Pay is more or less much better than any private hospital.You will be given some authoritative position. And you have lots of time to have any other business or hobby. Incase later on you feel like doing PG in any subject (MBA, MD etc) you get paid study leave, while your seniority and benefits are preserved. You also help poor and needy.

My cousin sis completed her MBBS from DU and is earning 45k directly after it and that too for just 6hours a day for 6 days a week. Sometimes, very rarely she has to do 24hours duty in extreme cases.

I am pursuing btech but i know these doctors deserve a lot more than us.

phoenix844884 said:
You can pursue short CMEs and refresher courses from time to time but they are of no use unless they are being counted towards your education.
If you do housejobs then you will remain a house officer for all your life. Maybe, just maybe you'll keep getting better offers from various hospitals but believe me there will be an upper limit to all offers. And that limit will be reached sooner or later.

Yes, I do intend to attend CME's & short courses in the fields that interest me. Ultrasound/radiology does fall into the scheme of things.
Any idea on where one could get good Radiology guidance in say a couple of months & what do these centres charge for such a course?

See, I have my own big Hospital which sadly is not running too good right now. I've just completed my degree & can't put any further time in studies because I have to look after/run the Hosp.
Short courses to brush up my skills would be good I guess.

Shripad said:
Quiet frankly you have to do something if you want to be a medical practitioner these days. Even people today prefer a M.D. to a MBBS GP for simple consultation.
If you do not have energy for M.D as getting in a recognised college for M.D. of your choice is damn difficult these days, you can do DNB. There is also an option to do a Hospital Management Course but that too is full time 2 year course.
There are other options like entering into the supply market, dealing in medical equipments or working in / opening your own diagnostic centre (if you have resources to do so, its very profitable business these days ).
Honestly your best bet is to do DNB. You can work as resident and do DNB is same hospital which is real plus of DNB. You learn and earn at the same time.

Agreed, M.D./M.S. makes life easier & acceptence is much more but the problem here is that I cannot afford more time towards further studies because the responsibility of looking after/running a Hosp. has fallen on my shoulders. All I can do is small courses in some stream like Medicine, Radio, Gynae & run the Hosp. as a poly clinic.

Pursuing DNB is again time consuming & with the present system, its difficult to clear withing stipulated time.

The suggestion of supply chain, diagnostic centre seems great. What supply chain though?
I was also considering opening a medicine shop in my Hosp. premisis. Any inputs on what all is needed for a Medicine shop?

sohail99 said:
I'm interested in hospital mgmt!

I could have done this too but the thing is its good if one wants to work somewhere, Im more keen to run my own Hosp. for which Mgt. is not really required
rite said:
Sorry to tell you but assuming that you are an average to above average student from an above average college, a plain MBBS with no work exp will probably land you a job of 10-20k pm 8-10 hours 6 days, in case you are lucky enough to get a job.
You need to do Super specialization in medicine from a good place if you want to practice, else go in for a good MBA.

Your comment does fall in line w.r.t. my Medicine stream. Otherwise I was an above avg. student during school/highschool. Problem started as I was never keen to be a Doc. but was pushed/forced to join the stream.
Had I been given a chance to pursue my dreams, I wanted to be a space scientist, aeronautical engineer, graduate from London school of finance & the list does not end. What I never wanted to be was Doc but then this is fate!!
sohail99 said:
Getting through in PG entrance is a nearly impossible(not totally impossible) here! let alone getting to do PG in your 1st choice of subject! :S

That's right, chances of getting through in P.G. entrances are very slim.
I could opt for capitation route but consider that against my principles & again can't devote so much time.
cray said:
Clear UPSC and become Medical Officer for govt and country. It is combo of administrative and clinical duties. Equivalent Pay is more or less much better than any private hospital.You will be given some authoritative position. And you have lots of time to have any other business or hobby. Incase later on you feel like doing PG in any subject (MBA, MD etc) you get paid study leave, while your seniority and benefits are preserved. You also help poor and needy.

That's a really good suggestion, I was considering this too. I would be residing in Punjab, don't know when are they going to invite applications for a Govt. job(PCMS).
Also if one can take a leave & pursue P.G., Im game for it.
H_D said:
My cousin sis completed her MBBS from DU and is earning 45k directly after it and that too for just 6hours a day for 6 days a week. Sometimes, very rarely she has to do 24hours duty in extreme cases.

45k is an acceptable amount for a start, not great but doable.

sohail99 said:
I don't wanna leave home lol! (too much racism going on abroad)

Rare one-off cases. It has only received some limelight due to the recent uproar in Australia. Simple way to avoid racism is, don't go to Australia. :)

Americans on the other hand are very good people. If you show that you are worth it, they will themselves work for you and pave the way for you. They are more accepting towards foreigners. True story.
rite said:
a plain MBBS with no work exp will probably land you a job of 10-20k pm 8-10 hours 6 days, in case you are lucky enough to get a job. With 10-15 years experience you may get 30-50k CTC pm and even if you do end up in practice, it would be hard to cross a lac a month even by 35-40.

Agreed. Just what I said.
cray said:

Yes UPSC is another good option. Requires almost no medical work, just plain bureaucratic paperwork.
teche said:
Yes, I do intend to attend CME's & short courses in the fields that interest me. Ultrasound/radiology does fall into the scheme of things.

Any idea on where one could get good Radiology guidance in say a couple of months & what do these centres charge for such a course?

See, I have my own big Hospital which sadly is not running too good right now. I've just completed my degree & can't put any further time in studies because I have to look after/run the Hosp.

Short courses to brush up my skills would be good I guess.
Ah, I didn't know that. See to run your own hospital you don't even need any medical qualifications, just some management sense and a steady patient influx. Short courses and CMEs do not help in teaching us skills. Whatever we learn is learned as a student or in practice. Becoming a doctor is a lifelong process and no one can be a good doctor without tons of experience and studying.

You should probably do an MBA so as to get the hang of running your hospital and then run it well. There are hundreds of options for doing MBA, even while sitting at home.

I wish I had the opportunity to do mbbs, I would love to be a doc but sadly the indian education system and the normal functionality of my brain collided and I ended up a communication designer. Dont ditch medicine.

teche said:
45k is an acceptable amount for a start, not great but doable.

You make it sound so little.

To pursue your dreams or to pursue your career.. atleast youve had the chance to pursue one. There are many people who are capable of far greater than they will ever get a chance to be but never got the chance to pursue either. Every day I have urges to get into medicine but like you said.. fate. Be happy youre living the dreams of millions of others.

Wealth is nothing compared to improving people's survivability is all I can say to people who get into medicine for money.

get some work ex and get an MBA from a good school we need good hospital/ pharma company managers the essence of the matter is to try and give employment to others and make this planet a better place ...

Back