Audio Ortofon e-Q5: Initial Impressions

I am still getting my head around it, strategy.

Many people (reviews of dfkt, clieOS) say that it brings together the best of both worlds. To me though, it feels more like a good dynamic IEM than something that mixes the best of BA and dynamic technologies.

You have timbre from dynamics for sure, but not at the level DDM, FX700 do.

You have speed from BA, or so they say. But, I found good dynamic IEMs from Hifiman, Pana HJE900 do something similar. It's somewhat close to PFE than DBA-02 with respect to speed.

Imaging, airiness - We have holographic imaging from Pana HJE900; a spacious, airy FX700.

I am still in the acquaintance phase with e-Q5. But at this stage, I don't think MA is some out of the world technology. Out of that $250, you are paying at least $75 for the brand name, the build quality and that exorbitant "Made in Japan" seal. I don't know if my opinion will change with time.

Nice impressions. I think I agree completely with what you have written. :)

IMO they definitely dont represent the best of both worlds. BAs are all about speed and the e-Q5 is too slow to match any BA I have heard. Simultaneously it lacks the bass slam that dynamics are capable of.

^ Posted a bit more detailed write-up in the RE-262 thread . I am not sure if your impressions are similar or different from those. (On a side note: If you post your impressions about my impressions, I can post 262 vs TF10 later tonight in a separate post :p)

Edit: Post #666 ;)

Back