Car & Bike OTR price - Vehicle (Car) .

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
Hi,

I was trying to find OTR for the Vehicle in Chennai, TN .
Googled (TBHP) but could not get recent percentage figures .
Question is - What is percentage of registration charges + Road tax etc. if suppose the vehicle Ex-showroom price is Rs 7.50 Lakhs.

p.s - The doubt the dealer is quoting infalted prices.
Do not have the dealer quote in hand will once I get home.

Road Tax - 10% of the Total cost of the vehicle upto 10 lakhs, 15% above 10 lakhs
Road safety Tax - Rs. 1500
Registration fee - Rs. 400 (need to confirm, but difference will be negligible)

The above should be the actual fees and taxes payable to the Government through RTO.

Dealers always quote an inflated insurance too. You check with various insurance companies and bargain (that way you can save some money). Dealers will accept for it (for getting the insurance on your own) as car sales are at all time low. If you are selling your old car and getting a new one, transfer the NCB from the old car (if available) and get the discount.

Dealers are adding about 1% of the car value in the Registration charges (their answer would be: Those are service charges). You need not pay that amount, dealers are making profit from the car sales and that is their service charge. While I was changing my car last year, I had complained this to one of the car manufacturer's directly, but they are least bothered about what their dealer charges.

Regarding insurance, be wary if the dealer is selling you insurance. You would know if the dealer is charging you more if you go to any of the insurance sites (like icicilombard), key in your car details (remember to select new) and see the quote. I still regret not doing that when I bought my car and ended up paying a 45% premium on the market value for insurance. Best, ask for free insurance. Free as in free, not as in included in the total cost.

We have a Toyota Etios Liva, and Toyota offers cashless facility only for ICICI Lombard, Iffco Tokio, Cholamandalam and United India Insurance. Now, unless I take the policy from the dealer, I do not get the cash less facility or insurance is unavailable for my model directly
from the insurance company hence I am forced to take the policy from the dealer at a premium.

I was getting a much better deal from Bajaj Allianz, but it has no tie up with the workshop, so I will have to handle everything related to insurance myself if at all I need to make a claim. Is it wise to take such a policy?

@agantuk

Last edited by a moderator:
@varkey, when you say 'Toyota offers' I hope you mean one of their service centers. Not everyone in a group (like Toyota or Hyundai or others for that matter) have a tie up with the same set of insurers. So you might want to check with Bajaj if they have a tie up with other Toyota service centers. If they don't have any, I would suggest avoiding such a policy and trying to get a competitive quote from ICICI. I can't talk about the other insurers you mentioned, but from whatever I have seen from others experiences, they are not as competitive as ICICI, Bajaj or Reliance in the market. Reliance is naturally the last choice.

Not having a cashless is a pain, and the savings you might get over cashless policies at that service center may not be worth the hassle you have to go through to get the claim approved.

I have in the past got the best quotes from Bajaj, and their service has been outstanding too, and the next best rates from ICICI.

What is the extra work we need to do if there is no option for cashless claim? AFAIK, we need to go to bank/ATM for depositing the cheque given by the insurer!

Road Tax - 10% of the Total cost of the vehicle upto 10 lakhs, 15% above 10 lakhs
Road safety Tax - Rs. 1500
Registration fee - Rs. 400 (need to confirm, but difference will be negligible)

The above should be the actual fees and taxes payable to the Government through RTO.

Dealers always quote an inflated insurance too. You check with various insurance companies and bargain (that way you can save some money). Dealers will accept for it (for getting the insurance on your own) as car sales are at all time low. If you are selling your old car and getting a new one, transfer the NCB from the old car (if available) and get the discount.

Dealers are adding about 1% of the car value in the Registration charges (their answer would be: Those are service charges). You need not pay that amount, dealers are making profit from the car sales and that is their service charge. While I was changing my car last year, I had complained this to one of the car manufacturer's directly, but they are least bothered about what their dealer charges.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to double confirm Is it TN rates are you quoting ?

This is the quote from the dealer on Jul -2012 that's right it's Jul - 2012.

Ex-Show room - 737182 (JUL 2012 - At the time of booking) Now - 758433.89

Insurance - 18839 ; Will not be taking insurance with dealer. Going with TATA AIG insurance with 0% depreciation.

Registration , Life time Tax , Road Tax , Regn Fees, - 98449
Incidental & service charges and 3rd year extended warranty -

I did not ask the breakup at time of book , since the waiting period was whooping 8 months. There might be changes in price of the vehicle.
Now ,I might get the delivery of vehicle by April , 2013.
I like to know if i can go ahead doing the registration on my own if the dealers charges are inflated.

Oh and the car in discussion here is Maruthi Dzire ZDI.

@agantuk Free insurance not possible as the car is Dzire.
Also how to know the dealer or the manufacturer have tie-ups with which insurance companies ?

@agantuk : From what I gather, Toyota (not the individual service center) has a national tie up with the insurance companies I mentioned above and its valid at any authorized Toyota service center in India. I did check with Bajaj and they do not have a tie up with any other Toyota service in entire Kerala.

Now comes the second problem, if I approach ICICI Lombard directly, the particular model (Etios Liva GD) is not in their database. I tried to generate a quote online, and over the phone. If I try their local office they ask me to get it from the dealer! :| And the dealer is able to generate a quote for the same model online through their dealer portal.

I guess I have no other choice than to get it from the dealer.[DOUBLEPOST=1364450188][/DOUBLEPOST]
What is the extra work we need to do if there is no option for cashless claim? AFAIK, we need to go to bank/ATM for depositing the cheque given by the insurer!

Well, first of all you will need to settle the full bill with the service center yourself and then wait for the payment to be processed, which will take 7-10 days. If its a big amount, it would be a bit difficult to arrange the same.

That's the last thing one should worry about.

The pain here is to follow up with the insurer, submit documents, proofs etc. and then squeeze the full amount for the claim. If one gets the cheque, victory is achieved.

I like to know if i can go ahead doing the registration on my own if the dealers charges are inflated.
To my knowledge, in TN (or at least in Chennai) the rule is that the vehicle must be registered BEFORE handing over to buyer. If that is the case, I am not sure if you can do it yourself. Of course greasing helps, but I would rather go the dealer route for registration since I have a phobia of govt offices. Yes the dealer does include his cut in that (and the amount varies based on the price of the car).

Free insurance not possible as the car is Dzire.
Also how to know the dealer or the manufacturer have tie-ups with which insurance companies ?

Please do read up on the terms of the 0% depreciation. I haven't ever bothered, but when they 6 months do they mean 6 months at the time of purchase of insurance or 6 months on the date of claim. Tata AIG is the costliest insurer in the market - their service is good - but I haven't ever been able to see a value add in their exorbitant rates.

For any insurance, confirm with both the service centers near your place as well as the insurance company as to whether that particular service center is eligible for cashless.[DOUBLEPOST=1364451543][/DOUBLEPOST]
From what I gather, Toyota (not the individual service center) has a national tie up with the insurance companies I mentioned above and its valid at any authorized Toyota service center in India.

What is the difference you are looking at here? You should be able to get an idea if you look up the insurance amount for the model closest to the GD in specs and price.

The pain here is to follow up with the insurer, submit documents, proofs etc. and then squeeze the full amount for the claim. If one gets the cheque, victory is achieved.

My current policy is with Cholamandalam which I took from their website at a very good price, it wasn't a cashless policy but overall experience was really good. The service center has tie up with Cholamandalam, so all I had to do was submit RC, Driving Licence, copy of the insurance certificate to the service center. They then arranged the inspection etc, although I had to settle the bill first, the payment was released in less than a week.

^ That's pretty much what happens with a cashless too, except that the payment comes directly from the company. It took me about 4 working days in each case for cashless.

What is the difference you are looking at here? You should be able to get an idea if you look up the insurance amount for the model closest to the GD in specs and price.

I did check with a similar model with same IDV and ICICI's online rate was around Rs 3000 - Rs 3500 less from what was quoted by the dealer, but since the specific model was not available in their database, they couldn't issue the policy.

@Rico yes the tax rates posted by me is for TN and I from Chennai.

in your case
invoice value is Rs. 758433.89

Road Tax (life) @ 10% (of 758433.89) = 75844
Road safety tax = 1500
Registration charges = 400
Total = 77744

What dealer quoted to you is Rs. 98449 (including insurance)
Hence the dealer's quote for Insurance + his commission for registration (98449 - 77744) = 20705.

Maruti Dealers usually quote a fixed price of around 5k as registration commission. So it works out to around 15.7k for the insurance.
make them reduce around 5k and you are good to go (in my opinion).

Also, Maruti service centers have got tie up with most of the insurance companies, you might be able to do cashless claim if you are getting the insurance from most of the major companies.
I have had Maruti vehicle in the past and insured with the bajaj allianz, was able to do cashless claim.

That's the last thing one should worry about.

This means, you've not done this so far :) I've good experience with Royal sundaram & Tata AIG... There is no such pain... You need to submit all the required document to the service center itself and they will manage rest of the things. They will inform the surveyor, give their estimation and once approved, they will start the work. Once work completed, they will send the original bill to the insurer directly, we no need to do that. Of-course some time, the surveyor wont approve everything and we need to fight with him.. but this process is no different from cashless claim.

Thats why i clearly mentioned, only pain is to go bank for depositing the cheque which you will receive in your communication address(max 7 days you will receive). For such a simple pain, its not wise to loose good portion of premium in the name of cashless claim.[DOUBLEPOST=1364462478][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, first of all you will need to settle the full bill with the service center yourself and then wait for the payment to be processed, which will take 7-10 days. If its a big amount, it would be a bit difficult to arrange the same.
My experience is, i always paid using CC and then before my CC bill payment, i usually get the cheque from the insurer.

@Rico yes the tax rates posted by me is for TN and I from Chennai.

in your case
invoice value is Rs. 758433.89

Road Tax (life) @ 10% (of 758433.89) = 75844
Road safety tax = 1500
Registration charges = 400
Total = 77744

What dealer quoted to you is Rs. 98449 (including insurance)
Hence the dealer's quote for Insurance + his commission for registration (98449 - 77744) = 20705.

Maruti Dealers usually quote a fixed price of around 5k as registration commission. So it works out to around 15.7k for the insurance.
make them reduce around 5k and you are good to go (in my opinion).

Also, Maruti service centers have got tie up with most of the insurance companies, you might be able to do cashless claim if you are getting the insurance from most of the major companies.
I have had Maruti vehicle in the past and insured with the bajaj allianz, was able to do cashless claim.

The 98449 is not including inssurance. Like I said , i think there something fishy about this quote.

My experience is, i always paid using CC and then before my CC bill payment, i usually get the cheque from the insurer.

That's true, but then if the CC cannot cover the full amount its a problem. Secondly the process is smooth if the service center had some sort of tie up with the insurance company, if not you will need to arrange for the inspection, co-ordinate with the service center/insurer etc I guess.

if not you will need to arrange for the inspection, co-ordinate with the service center/insurer etc I guess.
As I replied to agantuk's post, i've not faced any such things so far with RS and TATA, both instances the service center people itself managed everything... i just paid using my CC(rewards points :) ) and with in 4 or 5 days i got the cheque to my office address without any followup.

This means, you've not done this so far :) I've good experience with Royal sundaram & Tata AIG... There is no such pain...

True, I was speaking from my colleagues' experience. One guy had a Reliance policy and the other a Tata AIG, and in both cases they had to keep following up long after they had paid so that they could get the reimbursement. I wasn't as surprised about the Reliance one as I was about the one from Tata AIG - they do have good service in the case of cashless.

Back