CPU/Mobo Overclocking the E6300

imoen

Adept
Hi friends!

I'm making the shift to C2D and hope to pick up the E6300. I want to run it at E6600 speeds without too much fuss -- meaning I do not wish to overvolt the chip or use anything except the stock cooler.

My budget is razor thin, so please bear with me. Will I be able to achieve my goals using a 945 based mobo? If so, could you recommend some good mobos?

If not, it looks like I will have to shell out a little extra for the 965 so please reco some good, no-frills 965 boards (along with price).

Appreciate any help.

~imoen

if you are on a razor thin budget then you should go for the MSi 965P Neo-F .provided Ram is not a bottleneck this board can easily surpass E6600 speeds with stock cooler....this board is for 6.5k

imoen said:
^^ My dealer carries memory made by Transcend. Is that any good for overclocking?

Its kinda tricky to find out whether a particular Transcend Stick is having good chips.They are rebadged,its not that you will always get Transcend Jetram which is rebadged Micron D9;)

SO its hot or miss.

Regarding the board, finding MSI board can be difficult,Asus is always available.Gigabyte is also rare so are other brands...:(

^^ Thanks.

Well I don't think of myself as an extreme sort of overclocker. I generally buy the cheapest RAM I can find to get the job done. But if Transcend may not get the E6300 up to E6600 speeds, which ones would you suggest?

Dealer had quoted 1GB Transcend DDR533 for Rs. 4950/-.

yeah if u can wait then go for E4300....will OC more cos of the higher multiplier...so even if u have a not so decent RAM u can still OC more

Dosent the MSI 965P bios have a 333 Mhz FSB limit? Or has a new bios been released that removes it.

Anyway i doubt you'd be able to get over 2.4 Ghz on a low end 965 board with an E6300. Id suggest waiting for the E4300 as well. With the 800 MHz bus, ur guaranteed a 50% overclock at the very least. Not to mention it'll cost a little lower as well

@hunter: Hmmm. A little confused. Doesn't the board support DDR2800? So wouldn't that mean it can support an FSB of 400MHz?

Ya been looking at the E4300, sounds like a pretty good chip.

If you just plan a modest oc, than buy any value ram for 667 speed.... even if you hit 350 FSB you would have achieved 2.45 ghz.... Thats all you can scale upto anyways at stock volts and no cooler. BTW with Neo F even 2.45 wont be possible, you would be limited to 333 which means an oc of 2.3 Ghz... Ram issue becomes meaningless here as any DDR2 667 mhz would do the job.

hey the MSI neo version is avaliable for 5.69k without onboard graphics and with on board graphics it's about 6.2k ,nice cheap overclocking with the E6300 but get better rams i don't think trancend or the others will do the trick try getting cosair performance rams or wait for E4300 .:eek:hyeah:

imoen said:
@hunter: Hmmm. A little confused. Doesn't the board support DDR2800? So wouldn't that mean it can support an FSB of 400MHz?

Ya been looking at the E4300, sounds like a pretty good chip.

yea it supports DDR2-800 but the ram speed is independent of the bus speed. The motherboard itselfha has to be able to take the high fsb speeds, which for 400 MHz and above only enthusiast motherboards can take(eg Gigabyte 965P-S3/DS3, Asus P5B/P5B-E etc).

@hunter: Ok, I see what you mean. So I would then have to get a board capable of supporting higher than 333Mhz. Above the MSI NEO, which would be the least expensive option?

If the cost difference is too much, I might stick with the MSI NEO. As techcheat pointed out, 2.3GHz I feel would be good enough for me. This should give me a good FPS boost under Oblivion/NWN2 with a 7900GS until I can upgrade to a new video card.

BTW, you guys have been really awesome in helping me out.

As for the E4300, it seems to OC well but I have no idea when it will come to India. As the days go on, I am getting rather desperate. I gave my current rig to Dad and video game withdrawl is making me sick. :( Using a lappy for now.

Back