Owner's Pride, Neighbour's Envy under 20K

Hey guys

After having my N95 8GB for about over a year now I'm planing on buying a new phone, I really need some suggestions on this because I read/watched way too many review's of phones on the internet and am utterly confused.

Requirements

Budget 17-20K

Preferably Nokia (really dont mind the brick-bashed Symbian OS)

Decent Camera (happy with 5MP)

Touchscreen / QWERTY - Confused (have not used a touch phone for long, neither have I used a qwerty phone)

Preferably a small form factor (tired of the n95 looking like a tumor on the side of my pants!)

Primary Use: Not a very power user (no email/social networking through my phone, maybe some internet browsing but not a lot)

Possible Candiates

Nokia E72 (leaning towards this a bit)
Nokie N97 Mini
BB 9500 (will not get the blackberry service so I dont know if this phone is of use)
Samsung Jet
Samsung Omnia II (i800)
Any other Suggestions

desiibond said:
It's definitely worth going for Android. Samsung spica and jet should be good for yoir needs. No need for e series as you dont use mails etc.

Yup definitely will not really use Emails

I heard from so many of my friends that Samsung Phones are not very reliable, any users of either phones have a say on this?

How much is the Spica and Jet in Bangalore?

Although I dont use email, I text quite a bit and maybe using a qwerty phone will be fun and hence I'm slightly leaning towards the e72
I have heard about the complaints about the Navi Key and I really dont mind turning that off and using the normal D pad.

Any opinions on if the e72's qwerty will be faster to type on than my existant n95 8gb, will it take time to get used to the keypad?

Any major negative aspects of the phone?

Blackberry bold 9700?

samsung phones are totally reliable, i have been using them for last 5 years kept couple high end phones at any given time exclusively samsung, ad u will hate nokia after u use samsung, it looks great.

^ Since you have them for so long, can you tell how much drop proof Samsung phones are? I drop my phone atleast once a day, on good days the number might hit 5. Do those phones survive this daily diving practice? I have been sticking to Nokia due to this sole reason - the damn phones are bloody durable. There are plenty of scratches and minor dents in some cases, but the phone works as if nothing ever happened. Oh, and I have taken them for a swim in sea water as also regular tap water :D I also once put my 2100 through a boiling water test for about 2 minutes, but I felt pity on the piece and didn't continue it :p

ajab.ghajab said:
^ Since you have them for so long, can you tell how much drop proof Samsung phones are? I drop my phone atleast once a day, on good days the number might hit 5. Do those phones survive this daily diving practice? I have been sticking to Nokia due to this sole reason - the damn phones are bloody durable. There are plenty of scratches and minor dents in some cases, but the phone works as if nothing ever happened. Oh, and I have taken them for a swim in sea water as also regular tap water :D I also once put my 2100 through a boiling water test for about 2 minutes, but I felt pity on the piece and didn't continue it :p

then better not take phones that come with capacitive touch. Most of these phones with capacitive touch come with glass based display and dropping phone five times day can be problematic.

ajab.ghajab said:

Yup I have dropped my n95 quite a few times too but mostly always with the leather flip case and nothing actually happened to the phone at all.

So the Nokia Priority is quoting 17,500 net for the e72, is it a good price? Can I bargain and get them to reduce it? If so then till how much?

Any e72 owners? Any other phone recommendations? (preferably nokia)

desiibond said:
then better not take phones that come with capacitive touch. Most of these phones with capacitive touch come with glass based display and dropping phone five times day can be problematic.

Oops. That is concerning. I was planning to make an Android my next, most likely one of the HTCs with AMOLED. Time to change my habits eh?

ajab.ghajab said:
Oops. That is concerning. I was planning to make an Android my next, most likely one of the HTCs with AMOLED. Time to change my habits eh?

yes. if you want to go for touch phones, you better change habit or cover it in leather case all the time.

H2O said:
You don't seem to be such a power user why not take a look at the 5800XM or Spica.

I want a nokia phone so no to spica

5800 is way too slow dude, my friend got one and he is fed up.

Between e72 and n97 mini which is the practical choice?
I will not need push email but does that mean e72 is a bad choice?

N97 mini is much better in every aspect, except in size. among n97 mini and e72, I pick Mini.

bigger display

touch and full qwerty

superior OS

more RAM

better audio and video quality

N92 mini would be a better choice but I'd rather get something with a capacitative screen if I am spending so much money.

Why don't you go into the market and try some phones. Only then will you get a proper idea.

N92 mini? Never heard of that!

I saw the promo's of the nokia N8 and man its amazing!
I think i'm probably gonna wait for that to launch and buy it, I'm in no hurry cuz my N95 is still working pretty great.

Rumor has it that it will be around the 21-23K segment, Is it true?
And Q3 of 2010, so I'm guessing somewhere around August?
Any idea on the official launch date or launch price? I can extend my budget till 24K i guess but not more than that.

Back