Owner's Pride, Neighbour's Envy under 20K

Hey guys

After having my N95 8GB for about over a year now I'm planing on buying a new phone, I really need some suggestions on this because I read/watched way too many review's of phones on the internet and am utterly confused.

Requirements

Budget 17-20K

Preferably Nokia (really dont mind the brick-bashed Symbian OS)

Decent Camera (happy with 5MP)

Touchscreen / QWERTY - Confused (have not used a touch phone for long, neither have I used a qwerty phone)

Preferably a small form factor (tired of the n95 looking like a tumor on the side of my pants!)

Primary Use: Not a very power user (no email/social networking through my phone, maybe some internet browsing but not a lot)

Possible Candiates

Nokia E72 (leaning towards this a bit)
Nokie N97 Mini
BB 9500 (will not get the blackberry service so I dont know if this phone is of use)
Samsung Jet
Samsung Omnia II (i800)
Any other Suggestions

I bought a N97 mini... Extremely happy with it. except for one thing... For 20k i do expect a capactive touch screen in a phone. But its a resistive one. Save for the fact that its really responsive one.

If nokia is ur need..and its between e72 and N97 mini, like my options a month ago, pick the mini. for me e72 had a smaller screen and mini got a very very nice audio qlty.

If android is ur need then spend 2k more and get the desire or legend or whatever its called. if u want vfm, then spica. but looks are pretty much dull for a spica.

orangewrath said:
tired of the n95 looking like a tumor on the side of my pant!

LOL .!! :rofl: Dude .. well .. N97 mini seems to be the best bet for you at the time being .. but well .. there are some better phones .. far much better to be very specific if you add some more moolah to your budget .. and .. why not try something different from NOKIA and symbian stuff ?? why dont you go ahead and get yourself an android or a blackberry ?? well .. to be very honest .. HTC Legend is a very good phone and i would suggest you to buy that .. you may ask desiibond about the phone .. as he has it .. and has given pretty good reviews about it!! and even im in love with the phone .. or you can go for Blackberry BOLD 2 9700 .. which is a class apart from everyother phone .. what i want to say is avoid nokia and symbian .. please ..;)

egobrain.exe said:
LOL .!! :rofl: Dude .. well .. N97 mini seems to be the best bet for you at the time being .. but well .. there are some better phones .. far much better to be very specific if you add some more moolah to your budget .. and .. why not try something different from NOKIA and symbian stuff ?? why dont you go ahead and get yourself an android or a blackberry ?? well .. to be very honest .. HTC Legend is a very good phone and i would suggest you to buy that .. you may ask desiibond about the phone .. as he has it .. and has given pretty good reviews about it!! and even im in love with the phone .. or you can go for Blackberry BOLD 2 9700 .. which is a class apart from everyother phone .. what i want to say is avoid nokia and symbian .. please ..;)

Hmm I wanted a nokia phone because I'm more comfortable with that, but I'm not stuck with that and really don't mind experimenting with something new. I saw the HTC Legend and Hero, the phones are amazing but after I saw the N8's teasers and release video OMG :hap2: I'm definitely gonna buy that.

I did consider the Bold 2 but I'm not gonna use the BIS or Push Email and its downgrading from a 5MP to a 3.2MP camera which I don't want to.

So as of now unless my N95 dies I ll hold on to it till the N8 and get that.

Will look into more HTC phones also though, going to Delhi soon and will check them out.

m-jeri said:
I bought a N97 mini... Extremely happy with it. except for one thing... For 20k i do expect a capactive touch screen in a phone. But its a resistive one. Save for the fact that its really responsive one.

If nokia is ur need..and its between e72 and N97 mini, like my options a month ago, pick the mini. for me e72 had a smaller screen and mini got a very very nice audio qlty.

If android is ur need then spend 2k more and get the desire or legend or whatever its called. if u want vfm, then spica. but looks are pretty much dull for a spica.

I used a friend's N97 (not mini) for about 2 days and was not very excited about it, it does not have the iphone's addictiveness but the mini is by no means a bad phone, if the N8 gets launched beyond the 25K mark then the mini will be my phone.

dhruvrock2000 said:
21.5-23k max for N8.Sept launch is probable.

@OP get the C6 if u want qwerty + ts or wait as X6 is coming to markets this week... if u can spend the dough then N900 coming for about 26-27k on 24th May

I did consider the n900 too but its way too huge! and the OS, not many people are sure about getting apps for that.

A price under 23K will be perfect for the N8, the phone is definitely worth it for that cost. Any idea if the older symbian apps will work with symbian^3 ( and whats with the ^? :huh: )

egobrain.exe said:

Any specific reason to avoid Nokia and Symbian ?

orangewrath said:
I did consider the n900 too but its way too huge! and the OS, not many people are sure about getting apps for that.

A price under 23K will be perfect for the N8, the phone is definitely worth it for that cost. Any idea if the older symbian apps will work with symbian^3 ( and whats with the ^? :huh: )

WARNING: Do not jump onto a new platform the day it is released (with first phone). NEVER!

Leave out N900. It's bulky and the current Maemo OS has no future. Nokia/Intel are talking MeeGo but such collaborative work often shortlives.

Your best bet would be Android based phones or wait for iphone OS 4 (iphone 4G) and windows Phone 7 based phones.

yes n900 is bulky, but dont say maemo operating system has no future. any application that will be developed for meego or symbian s^4 can be installed on maemo, when launched it has some quirkiness like landscape but with subsequent updates has become more refined , with probably best mobile browser out there and considering apps, just visit maemo.org and u will have a whole alternate world to discover the things u can do with maemo5. I was going to buy this mobile until that gorgeous x10 came out with price 29k and bought it thinking with my heart not head.
and how can one say that meego will be shortlived ? do you like work for nokia or intel?
if one should not jump on a new platform like symbian^3or maemo5 then then by logic why should he even think of buying i phone os 4 or wm7 ? they are also not even launched yet!

Okay I need a final opinion from you guys now.

I have dismissed the e72, blackberry's and the spica.

I have about 25K with me now.

1: Should I just buy the n97 mini now?

2: Wait for the N8 to launch and buy that?

3: Wait for the good droids to hit the 25K mark and get one?

rock8549 said:
yes n900 is bulky, but dont say maemo operating system has no future. any application that will be developed for meego or symbian s^4 can be installed on maemo, when launched it has some quirkiness like landscape but with subsequent updates has become more refined , with probably best mobile browser out there and considering apps, just visit maemo.org and u will have a whole alternate world to discover the things u can do with maemo5. I was going to buy this mobile until that gorgeous x10 came out with price 29k and bought it thinking with my heart not head.

FYI, Maemo 5's appstore is not even a village, forget about it being a whole new world. there is a total of some 280 apps, most of which are not useful at all. I really liked the OS Maemo 5 but the way that Nokia is treating this OS is not good at all. It's like Nokia playing "inky pinky ponky" with Maemo and MeeGo. Not Good for both platforms. When Maemo was developing so well last year, why did they move to meeGo? And what is the need for Symbian^3 or 4 or 5?

rock8549 said:
if one should not jump on a new platform like symbian^3or maemo5 then then by logic why should he even think of buying i phone os 4 or wm7 ? they are also not even launched yet!

If you are not aware, first iphone recieved lot of criticism for not being able to do most basic things. First Symbian S60v5 release had so many issues that early adopters of 5800XM used to bang their head against the wall. Even Maemo 5 has few design quirks but it came out well on N900 because the platform itself existed for a long time (on MIDs). First Google phone Nexus One has so many issues that they lead to its downfall. First Android device HTC G1, though was good, was far from a stable smarphone device. First touchscreen smarphone from BlackBerry, BB Storm and it's touch optimized OS were far from perfect that people still prefer non-touch BB phones over BB Storm and Storm 2.

It's a well known fact. the first gen users are the ones that suffer most (when using a new platform).

Trust me, the blocky design of N900 can be a real PITA for one handed operation. And now Maemo 5 has become underrated OS thanks to Nokia putting it onto a geometry box and not selling it in markets where it matters. Nokia should've stick to Meamo, released a phone like N8 in 2009, running Maemo 5 (with slim form factor, capacitive touch etc etc) and Maemo 5 would've been a much stable and wider known platform by now.

orangewrath said:
Okay I need a final opinion from you guys now.

I have dismissed the e72, blackberry's and the spica.

I have about 25K with me now.

1: Should I just buy the n97 mini now?

2: Wait for the N8 to launch and buy that?

3: Wait for the good droids to hit the 25K mark and get one?

option 3 would be the better option. wait for HTC Desire.

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs.

After reading the bottom line, I'm still a little confused.

Preface : Budget not extending 25K, Not in a hurry to buy my phone.

Important requirement : Phone with a small form factor (No N900)

Been using the Nokia N95 8GB for almost 2 years now, love it, no problems, want a new one becauseit just looks really old and is BIG!" (I'm sacrificing some of my favourite jeans to accommodate the phone!)

Top Contenders as of now

Nokia N8
Nokia N97 Mini or Nokia X6
HTC Legend (Will wait for Android 2.2 If i have to)
HTC Desire( If the price drops to 25K)
Samsung Omnia II
Do not want to start a Symbian-Android battle
"What is the actual advantage of Android over Symbian for a Non-power user"

My definition of a Non-Power User:

1: I don't use email (have a old blackberry pearl for that)

2: Don't need Social Networking integration (have a laptop accessible)

3: Definitely don't need thousands of apps (just the most basic ones)

4: Not very bent up on threaded SMS (don't really get the use of that)

5: Need a camera upgrade (from 5 MP on my present n95 8gb, and love the camera on my girlfriend's Aino!)

6: Would love a big screen (to watch TV shows before bedtime)

7: Don't need multiple home-screens or widgets.
I'm in no way ruling out android but just wondering if I will actually use the features of the OS or will be very much content with the familiarity of Symbian (maybe even Symbian 3 because I have the N8 on my list)

Wait for the N8 if camera is the deciding factor. The sample videos and photos are awesome :D

Price also should be ~25k. So as u have a decent phone its worth waiting. The N8 is the biggest release from Nokia since the N95 days.

Back