:P Lan-ning

Rockyme2002

Skilled
Hi Guys,

had recently connected 2 PC, mine with a friend who stays 2 floors above me :p ....enjoyed sme good CS , U2 ,UT2004 etc etc....:D

Well now wanted to know , how long can be the cable till threre arent ny problems, like data loss nd stuff............cuz now all friends wanna join us....nd sme of them r really far :O ......nd its kindda 7 ppl.....know the basic stuff, but still wht all things will i need frm start to end, its mainly for gaming, so thr shud be no issues with like distance nd stuff ....

Help appreciated :cool2:

basically CAT 5 is okey till 100 mtrs after that you will need a repeater... Although mataince of the LAN from far off plasces is a big hassle.... I would suggest you guys to go in for a good Wireless LAN solution... It would be expensive to setup but if done correctly will need about zero maintaince... But yes the data lass will be a factor...

OK Thanks Switch... so i can really connect to the guy who stays 4 building away :O
wireless wud be really expensive nd am goin to do this alone for those 7 b*****ds....just for trying out

ny idea how much a wireless wud cost me ??
but really wud be goin by switch nd Cat5e only...

Although mataince of the LAN from far off plasces is a big hassle.

nythng specific bout why u said tht??

also at bout 100mtrs away wud tht guy be able to njoy gaming lag-less....??

place the switch in the middle of all ur connectyions so tht the distance b/w switch and other comps will be just...say 50mtrs....

BTW how bout CAT6? any improvement in that?

See the cable is expensive... So if you will calculate the complete cost it will come out just about the same... And if more people are interested like you say 7 then Wireless will be cheaper if all of them are staying far apart... Cause that will turn out to be more cable... If you are really serious about this then contact somebody there who is into networking... Maybe he can give you a wireless LAN demo...

Also games require a lot less LAN resources then other stuff... The only thing to be worried of is the data loss... above 100 mtrs works but not recommended...

To talk about hasseles... The problem with CAT5 is that its has be physically routed... Also dont forget the physical breakage of the cable... So i would suggest you to go in for wireless...

A wireless card costs about Rs 1200 by Linksys and a wireless router will be around Rs 4500 or so...

@Sunny

Cant do tht.....the problem is 5 guys r just around my building...the othr 2 r kindda bout 90mtrs apart frm me.......so i dunno wht to do...

the cat6 is expensive nd has no huge benifits as of now...

@Switch....

cant go wireless cuz it will dig down my empty pockets...:ashamed:

the cat5e cable costs bout 5-6bucks per metre here....so i can opt for tht....
a 8-port switch (suggest sme good 1....thinkin of D-link) is bout ??? less than 2k bucks rite??

Last edited by a moderator:
dlink 8 port switch is 1K+-200

they used CAT6 for my cable conn..and it costs 16 per meter..just asked...me myself dunno the benefits of CAT6

K thanx for the pricing Sunny

The cat6 has 300Mhz as compared to 100 on cat5 smethng smethng...just read sme part ystrday, didnt go thru it all :ashamed:

Cat6 allows higher speeds, but then u will need to use gigabit networking for that. Does not improve latencies/distance or anything. A wirelss connection will not cut it as far as I can tell, because of weak signals which might drop out at times.

Yeah other a GIG card or onboard GIG ethernet founf on newer motherboards.

I too suggest you go Wireless, and tell those B******* to pool in ;)

These situations are tricky I tell ya.Wireless would look all cool in theory but when practically deploying it under these circumstances you get the real idea.Remember wi-fi is shared bandiwidth which would decrease with the number of users, the environmental conditions play a important part.Signal degradation,attenuation are factors to be considered before deploying a wi-fi network becuase money doesnt grow on trees !
How much distance are we talking of maximum anyways?If you could measure a approx distance of each of your friend I may be able to help you depending upon your budget & requirement.

A wireless card costs about Rs 1200 by Linksys and a wireless router will be around Rs 4500 or so...
Which card are you talking of? Is it PCI?USB or PCMCIA?
I got the PCI variant of Linksys WMP54G & it cost me 2.1k + VAT
The Linksys WRT54 802.11g router cost me 3.3k + VAT.

LOl...i got 2 onboard gigs...but buying seven more is like :huh:.....

but wont wireless at long dist b kindda sucky??

EDIT::

@digen

thts wht... :D

also goin wireless will b kindda not possible for me...

k to explain the situation..
hav got like only 2 friends at a distance of bout 80-90mtrs....rest all r within 20-25metrs......

ny ideas :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess 802.11G works upto 300m fine so signals won't be that Sucky :p

Also with cables you don't wan't to leave your Nighthawk and climb over buildings to restore cable connections :eek:hyeah:

Mate forget about wireless then,the distances are pretty much within the CAT 5 specification which is 100 meters,after that attenuation creeps in.

I get a few 10/100 NIC's & a 8 if not 16 port switch & run the cable from each to a centrally located among you.The only thing you have to worry would be damage to the cable if it is to be in open conditions.Thats the best & simplest you could do it.

Yup me to thot bout tht only....damage mainly to the two 100mtrs wires running to the LONg_distant friends......will try smethng or the othr whn the cables start rolling :huh:

nd all hav 10/100 onboard ...so its only the total wire nd switch thing to buy :D

my main issuse was : there shudnt b ny lags while gaming to those guys....else it no use doin all this.......

There wont be atleast in theory.But make sure all the cables are handled with i.e bends,twists result in bad signal through the cable which may as well result in a cable cut somewhere.

How have you thought of wiring it all up? I mean I would suggest cabling & casing if its gonna be totally exposed to environmental conditions.

I meant to say you could use PVC pipe for protecting agaisnt outdoor factors.Sounds lame & maybe no such thing exists in the indian market but a little trial & error should help you in deciding.

Also earlier I forgot,I would advise to do a survey & deploy the maximum end point first & notice the number of bends & twists before jumping in & doing everything altogether.The distance would seriously reduce if the number of bends & twists are more than a handful.Please keep this in mind before proceeding.

Back