:P Lan-ning

Ohh Ok ..Thanks Digen..

will surely b doin tht....wud keep the wire length as less needed...
will try to workout smethng for the protection of the wire......:D nd will surely do smethng over time...cuz this is gonna b a 8ppl LAn gaming FOREVER :eek:hyeah:

just my two cents....y dont u host online, just like the others, me n my friend play quake all the time,....friends all over bbay...i host with noghost mod for quake....zero lag...pings like 30 40.

well the reason am goin all the way routing 100mtrs cables is cuz , v dont hav cablenet here :rofl: :( , (mixed emotions)......not even sify, its just mtnl 700per month plan or mtnl triband :p

local cablewala is a gunda, went to othr cable wala he said the area belongs to this gunda nd u will hav to take permission frm him to let us put our cables.............so....

me connected on lan with by brother

his house is like 90 mts away, and then from his house, there is one more friend connected at 80 mts. an HUB is installed at my cousin's place, and one at my place, i used 90 mts CAT5 cable and connected it to his hub, crossed. and then from his hub, about 80 mts away, its connected to my friends pc..

we play almost daily, no breaks, no lags nothing :D

Yeps go for a switch anytime.Although it wont make much of a difference while gaming w.r.t collisions domains as experienced in a hub.A switch is a worth buy considering the fact that you may as well share resources & the cost difference is not much.With that being said All the best !

^^^ adding to it, the cable must be crimped in "crossover crimping" else it wont work...tell the person who will be crimping that you want a crossover cable..he'll do whatever is necessary

Some NICs can automatically detect whether they are connected to a switch or another PC (auto media sensing is it?) so then any cable (standard or crossover) will do. But make sure that ur card supports this feature b4 doing anything.

While laying the cat5 cable, make sure, u don't lay the cable, parallel to electrical wires (i mean,surface cabling). Coz it results in data loss. At-least keep 1 foot gap between them.
U can anytime cross-over them, (close to each other), preferably use some pvc pipe, while cross-overs.
Just an advice man...

OK Guys....laid the wires nd stuff....nd connected ll the pcs.....

Having some probs.....

1st, here's wht i hav used.....

D-Link -1008D Switch
nd cat5e cables.....\

every1 connected has a 10/100 lan card..
Now.....according to the manual ....it says the lights shud glow GREEN if the cat5e cables r connected to 10/100..........but it glows YELLOW...which acc. to the manual says its must b connected to a 10 mbps.........

also a few guys r not being able to connect to me.....

here r sme probs:

1. Sme can c my Pc but cant share (hav checked sharin nd stuff....no use...)...this guy is at bout 60mtrs frm me

2.here's another girl 60mtrs frm me......but pinging gives request timed out....cant c my comp....i cant c her PC......switch says v r connected.....

help appreciated

The cable pairs are color coded as

Pair 1 is white-blue/blue,
Pair 2 white-orange/orange,
Pair 3 is white-green/green
Pair 4 is white-brown/brown.
here is the detail how to create Straight Cable

Pin 1 white orange -----------------
Pin 2 orange------------------------
Pin 3 white green--------------------
Pin 4 blue---------------------------
Pin 5 white blue------------------SAME OTHER SIDE
Pin 6 green-------------------------
Pin 7 white brown-------------------
Pin 8 brown-------------------------

And Remember that The hook is underneath in all cases and Pin one is always on the Left .
:hap2:

Back