Camera P&S below 10k

sky

Disciple
Hi guys,

I was holding a Sony digital camera (6MP) 7+ yr old, this doesn't have image stabilizer so photos get blurred even with small movement in hand or object. Gave it to one of my relative. Now I wanted to buy a new digital camera.

I shortlisted these based on the few threads here:
1. Cannon SX160 (Good zoom, but Alkaline battery)
2. Sony W690 (Good zoom but mono microphone)
3. Sony WX50 (CMOS Sensor but less zoom)
4. Nikon S6300 (all good but read reviews that picture quality is not good and laggy)

Those who owned any of these, please provide feedback and help in deciding.

^^ L610 is also good choice but Alkaline battery.
My old cam had the same, but it took too much time to charge. So preferring Lithium battery this time, but not mandatory.

I can go with them if get good reviews about Nikon L610 or Canon SX160.

@ndhanta
That link is more in favor of Nikon. 2X more zoom is not a decision factor.

1. Can I not zoom while video recording in Nikon? I saw Nikon cams in 5-6k range do it in shop. Surprised it not work in L610.
2. Battery life....how come Canon have 3 times more than Nikon when both use Alkaline battery. CCD sensor consume more power but 3 times of CMOS :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
All those cheap cameras you mentioned have a 1/2.3" sensor, so IQ will be more or less same, but some do have better image processing thus better output results. If image quality is your concern then just compare all of them in DP review and see which has the best result. If features like zoom, manual focusing are important to you then see which has more features.
And that site btw, snapsort or whatever, I heard that it's horrible, full of inaccurate informations! So I don't think it's a good idea to decide something on the base of that.

@ ndhanta

No, it comes with LR6/L40 (AA-size) alkaline batteries which takes 120 shots, mentioned in the same link. And no zoom while video recording.

Sony WX50 is looking better candidate now. Even though less optical zoom but slim, cheaper with all features.

Planning to purchase next weekend. More suggestions/alternatives are welcome.

Back