Pacenet Cheating?

anand

Disciple
I'm currently using Pacenet on Mac OS X. I've been given the linux id to connect through mac. But, the difference in speed is huge when I connect thru the pacenet dialer.

For example, on Windows, i downloaded MSN Messenger from Microsoft's servers and got 30 kb/s constant while connecting from the dialer. But, when I connected using the @linuxuser id on Windows itself without the dialer, I couldn't get above 20 kb/s. I showed this to the local cable wala and obviously, he did not understand. The Pacenet Customer Care is hopeless, at best. Also, I get logged out very often while using the @linuxuser ID.

It is obvious that there is a problem with Pacenet. I don't understand why there is a difference in speed when it is the same account?

What can I do about it?

Yes I tried that. But, it seems Pacenet have updated their dialer. The password generated thru the C program no longer works

Edit2- I called up their customer care who didn't understand what I was talking about. When I access internet through both the IDs on the SAME computer, SAME OS, how will there be a difference? :p

It is clear that they cap all @linuxuser connections

My only hope is MTNL to which I am switching shortly. I'll pay 100-200 rupees to the MTNL field guy and he'll ensure things are right :p

As they say in England.. "You scratch my back.. I scratch yours!"

from my point it seems more like different OS settings rather than pacenet problem u just gave the answer urself, u get 30k+ on windows and >20K on OSx so try tweaking ur system first
this is wat a guy says for slow connection on OSx
In the Network pane of System Preferences, select the TCP/IP tab under "Built-in Ethernet" and see what the Router address is. Open Network Utility, select Ping, enter the Router address, and check the results. You should get consecutive "icmp_seq" numbers. If there are gaps, that's packet loss. Try it several times.
Link hope it helps :)

I said I got 30k+ using the Pacenet dialer on Windows.

And I got 20k using the default PPPOE dialer on WINDOWS.

I think it was clear from the post

And I've already pinged the router.. there is no packet loss.

Thanks anyways :)

^^ Did you try any download clients on Linux ?
It would be very stupid on Pacenet's side if they cap Non Windows connection.

I haven't installed any linux distro but OS X is Unix-based itself.

And even in OS X, max speed that I get with a download manager is 20..

Pacenet WAS the problem.

I contacted the customer care ONE more time and it worked!

Now I am getting 30 kb/s with both IDs. I think they cap connections on an individual basis.

@Systemic Anamoly- Forget OS X for a moment. When you use the same OS(windows), same net connection, same plan, download the same file from the same server(Microsoft) using 2 different IDs linked to the SAME account.. and you get a difference of 10 kb/s.. would you still say it is not a problem with your ISP?

Btw, that guy in the link uses a cable modem and I use a connection which connects thru PPPOE. There is a world of difference between the two. please understand this

Back