Storage Solutions Patriot P300 M.2 NVMe SSD

@chetansha @rsaeon @calvin1719 the post cache speed after 26GB is ~430MB/s so effectively a good sata ssd like MX500 with burst of NVMe performance. If that's fine then good option.
How does this compare to it?

XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade

Warranty does not seem to be a issue either : https://techenclave.com/threads/adata-warranty-service-in-india.207440/

If only this ssd was reliable then it would have the best option for a top tier NVMe ssd at budget price of SN570. This particular model is using a problematic controller innogrit IG5236 which is known for causing sudden death of ssd. If you always have a backup of data on this ssd in another drive(obviously not using the same problematic controller IG5236) & don't mind waiting few days for the rma then can go for it.

I can confirm XPG Gammix has problems, I have two, 2TB and 1TB, Used 1TB with Sabrant enclosure and mac mini, it lost its capacity and contents many times, I thought it was Sabrant or Apple screwing external installation but reading about the controller realised it should be the drive itself

But installed within motherboard luckily I haven't faced any problems with Windows installations in both the drives

innogrit IG5236
From what I remember Adata s70 drive was the first gen4 to drastically reduce the price and the issues with this ssd followed through. Its was not just in one country I saw multiple reports in Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese speaking forums to name a few. It could have been a batch error or firmware issue. But Netac, Silicon Power, HP among others have this ssd with this particular controller showing the exact same issue.
The problem is Phison e18 controller drives from Corsair, Silicon Power have seen them being swapped with Innogrit 5236 controllers.
Seagate has claimed they would strictly stick with e18 but can't confirm the same about others.
Other issue is Micron b47r fortisflash 176L nand. Which as per spec is more durable than 96L, 112L (Toshiba), 128L (YMTC). But the vendors are actually mixing and matching controllers, nand and dram to meet the price budget or to lower their cost (which I know is not new).

If I were in the market I would get a drive with Silicon Motion or Phison controller with Micron B47r flash for gen4 drives thatis if I'm not going for WD, Crucial, Samsung drives.

People here can check which controller they have using the ultility tools from this site- http://vlo.name:3000/ssdtool/

TL;DR stick to ssd drives from companies that manufacture them in-house like Samsung, WD, Crucial, SK Hynix etc. Or comapnies that deal primarily in Data storage like Seagate.

From my own experience I purchased Adata s50 lite twice in different months one came with SMI controller with 96L micron nand and other had 176L micron nand. Problems is not with these silent upgrades which as you can see has been a benefit for me but not being upfront, so people like me who want particular drive run the risk of going with this lottery process.

This is a great alternative:
10.5k before card offer

This has a Phison E18 controller, Micron NAND & DRAM. Apparently, it gets hot without a heatsink.

As per this they have already swapped the nand flash. So I would hazard a guess they would even change the controller.
If you're buying then you can check using the phison nvme flash id tool (posted above).

Last edited:
TL;DR stick to ssd drives from companies that manufacture them in-house like Samsung, WD, Crucial, SK Hynix etc. Or comapnies that deal primarily in Data storage like Seagate.
Good suggestion but samsung is always overpriced while crucial usually has either the not so good dramless option(P3/P3 Plus) or overpriced but good dram option(P5) & SK Hynix is typically not available in retail segment here so that leaves only WD but its SN570 & SN770 models alone are good enough for majority of users.

As per this they have already swapped the nand flash. So I would hazard a guess they would even change the controller.
If you're buying then you can check using the phison nvme flash id tool (posted above).
I have ordered one.

Seems like both revisions have E18 controller but with different NAND. Will update on what I get.

It should be better than my Aorus Gen4 5000MBps SSD that I currently use. I'm downsizing my PC to ITX for easier transportation, so needed a 2TB SSD. Wish we had more ITX mobo options for cheap other than the AsRock ones.

Last edited:
I'm downsizing my PC to ITX for easier transportation
Is there even a point to this? I mean I tried it in the past with micro-atx & these are the things I learned:
1. Having a graphics card means one will always need to carry it separately in its own box.
2. If doing the above then it doesn't make much difference to carry the matx mobo with processor installed in it in its own box compared to carrying a mini-itx mobo with processor installed in its own box because both will need to be put in a trolley bag.
3. Unless buying an overpriced SFF psu the typical atx psu also need to be carried separately in its own box.
4. Carrying any cabinet is a hassle even mini-itx. Just buy a cheap typical cabinet at the place of temporary stay or better buy & leave the cabinet at the places where one will definitely go to spend extended duration(assuming a permanent home address & a work place in another city) & simply assemble the components once reach there.

Carrying a desktop pc is not worth it nowadays IMO with powerful enough laptops & internet connectivity. Only reason I see for it is for transportation of powerful graphics card based system which rules out any complicated water cooling setup(even such m-itx setups likely won't survive long travels without any issues) leaving only the air cooling option which is also quicker to disassemble/reassemble so fits perfectly with what I mentioned above.

Is there even a point to this? I mean I tried it in the past with micro-atx & these are the things I learned:
1. Having a graphics card means one will always need to carry it separately in its own box.
2. If doing the above then it doesn't make much difference to carry the matx mobo with processor installed in it in its own box compared to carrying a mini-itx mobo with processor installed in its own box because both will need to be put in a trolley bag.
3. Unless buying an overpriced SFF psu the typical atx psu also need to be carried separately in its own box.
4. Carrying any cabinet is a hassle even mini-itx. Just buy a cheap typical cabinet at the place of temporary stay or better buy & leave the cabinet at the places where one will definitely go to spend extended duration(assuming a permanent home address & a work place in another city) & simply assemble the components once reach there.

Carrying a desktop pc is not worth it nowadays IMO with powerful enough laptops & internet connectivity. Only reason I see for it is for transportation of powerful graphics card based system which rules out any complicated water cooling setup(even such m-itx setups likely won't survive long travels without any issues) leaving only the air cooling option which is also quicker to disassemble/reassemble so fits perfectly with what I mentioned above.
A friend has successfully been travelling with an ITX PC in hand bag suitcase + a 24" monitor in check-in suitcase. I don't plan on taking the monitor, have bought a monitor in 2nd location.I have a 2 fan GPU, so was hoping to provide additional support while travelling & keep it plugged.

I expect my downsizing to cost about 15-20k after selling my old parts, building a 2nd PC w/o GPU will cost more than the ITX shift. Hence considering ITX. A new 4060 laptop will cost 1L and will be weaker, a 2nd PC at 2nd location will cost half & travelling just with a GPU can be done. I have spent about 3 months away from my PC this year already, its annoying.

I have been a laptop gamer for 10+ years. Still have my 2060 laptop, but its performance is just too weak vs my 3070 desktop.

A friend has successfully been travelling with an ITX PC in hand bag suitcase
This itx pc has graphics card plugged in while travelling?

building a 2nd PC w/o GPU will cost more than the ITX shift
How? You already have the graphics card, matx mobo, processor & psu which can all be disassembled(processor installed within mobo so only need to remove the air cooler) & fit into check-in luggage trolley case. Just get a cheap cabinet which can fit the card & install fans in it & leave it at 2nd location.

This itx pc has graphics card plugged in while travelling?

How? You already have the graphics card, matx mobo, processor & psu which can all be disassembled(processor installed within mobo so only need to remove the air cooler) & fit into check-in luggage trolley case. Just get a cheap cabinet which can fit the card & install fans in it & leave it at 2nd location.
Yes, plugged in, his GPU was a dual fan 3060Ti. Recently he upgraded to 7900XT. He has an 11L case though. He travelled internationally a lot as well. He was doing the work from anywhere thing. Those really small 11L cases & all are too expensive or not available.

Building a 2nd PC is about convenience - Carrying all parts except the cabinet is inconvenient for multiple trips, takes a lot of space. So I was initially thinking of keeping my current parts at 2nd place after a few years & upgrade my rig at main location. I don't think I will be frequenting between the 2 places much for the next 1 year, maybe 1 trip. So decided to not do the downsizing now. I was expecting some discounts on parts on Amazon beyond the card discount (it is currently cheaper on Amazon with CC discount than it is with md, vedant, etc). Because of reports of downgraded NAND, cancelled the SSD order.

That included cable is crap. It doesn't work at all for me. My speed testing using different cables i had with me for a sata ssd. Speed is supposed to be 5Gbps.

pixel usb c to c cable - max 35.5 MB/sec
ambrane usb c to c cable 60w data sync - 36.5 MB/sec
cheap ambrane usb 3 to usb c cable - 39.0 MB/sec
original orico usb c to c cable - 0 bytes /sec for minutes and not working properly.
I can see device and browse files but fails to copy files and file explorer hangs. Don't know what the problem is with the cable.

That included cable is crap. It doesn't work at all for me. My speed testing using different cables i had with me for a sata ssd. Speed is supposed to be 5Gbps.

pixel usb c to c cable - max 35.5 MB/sec
ambrane usb c to c cable 60w data sync - 36.5 MB/sec
cheap ambrane usb 3 to usb c cable - 39.0 MB/sec
original orico usb c to c cable - 0 bytes /sec for minutes and not working properly.
I can see device and browse files but fails to copy files and file explorer hangs. Don't know what the problem is with the cable.
I purchased that one to use with an old 128GB SATA SSD, included cable is working fine for me.

Results from a test copy/paste (single big file):
1696927051995.png

1696927303674.png

I plan to buy the Amazon basics type C to type A USB 3.1 cable as attaching it to the back of my desktop is not very convenient:

I have a separate type A to type C cable lying around, came with my Xbox controller, seems USB 2.0, results from that:
1696927392872.png

1696927455647.png

How are the patriot p400 series , comes with InnoGrit IG5220
Innogrit controller on S70 has above normal reports of data loss & drive malfunction. Check reddit maybe.

IMO Corsair MP600 Pro NH 2TB at 10.5 + offers looks good even if it is using Toshiba NAND instead of Micron.

Attachments

• 1696927359286.png
    1696927359286.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 23
Back