Paypal Indian debit card help?

This bank is supported in Paypal right?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's there in the link you provided itself that a VISA debit card will be issued for this type of savings account. Also internet banking is free.
Applying for this shouldn't be a problem at your local ICICI branch IMO.

The reason is that Indian Banks do not allow payment processing without 3D Secure and that feature is not available on PayPal. I use ICICI bank debit card and it works flawlessly on on US sites.

Even though the 3D secure is mandatory for online fund transfer/processing for Indian issued credit/Debit cards. It doesn't work all the time.
While purchasing through Apple store, Google play store or other overseas purchases like buying premium file hosting account, my SBI credit card does not require any 3D secure authentication, while it does requires for transaction with indian online portals .

Can anyone using Indian Bank Debit cards confirm whether these cards work now with paypal?
I have filed an RTI regarding this to RBI. I'll post here when their reply comes.
EDIT: I thought you were asking about Indian bank in generic sense. It seems, that their EMV MasterCard World chip based debit card works after all.
https://www.isaumya.com/paypal-google-wallet-indian-debit-card-support/
This RTI application is regarding Circular DPSS.PD.CO. No.371/02.14.003/2014-2015 dated August 22, 2014 of the Reserve Bank of India. I seek the following information regarding the same:

1.Are services provided by Google Play Store, Apple iTunes, PayPal & Steam in India, considered to be Indian merchants. And do they come under the purview of the matter of the above circular.

2. These companies have not complied to the above circular even after the deadline of October 31, 2014 has expired long ago. If the answer to question in clause 1. is yes, what action has been taken against these companies for not complying with the order.

3. The companies mentioned in clause no.1 provide uniform service all over the world and their technology is standard across the globe. However, Indian banks debit & credit cards do not work on the websites of these companies due to non-implementation of additional authentication / validation as recommended by RBI. Hence, customers are unable to purchase goods/services from their website. Why should only Indian citizens suffer in such scenario while no such restrictions are put in place in other countries.

Meanwhile, I visited 3 different branches of ICICI, 2 of them did not have any idea about the "Basic Savings Account" while another mentioned that it is for poor (BPL) people. LOL!!!

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I visited 3 different branches of ICICI, 2 of them did not have any idea about the "Basic Savings Account" while another mentioned that it is for poor (BPL) people. LOL!!!
I guess you need to ask them Zero balance account instead of basic account.

RTI is such a joke. They now wash their hands off saying they don't have information.

IMG_20150122_094722.jpg

You will get an reply for Question 1 as it has been transferred to another authority.
Avoid asking long questions like Q3 rather keep it one liner, they wouldn't understand anything.

Before filing a first appeal you can ping to the officer where you can get to him through phone or email, even though if he/she does not care go a head and file 1st appeal

Because of RBI regulations, PayPal won't accept any Indian Debit Cards. Some users have reported that their HDFC/ICICI and other cards worked but that is a rare case.
When you link a card, PayPal deducts a small fee to send a code in your card statement. Apparently RBI doesn't allow them to take that fee and that's why you can't link your card. This is what I've been told by PayPal's customer care and Forums.
Also, even if you make your card work, you can't send payments to anyone having an Indian registered PayPal account. You can make only international payments.
I had to buy some stuff off ebay and couldn't figure out how to link my debit card. Tried a lot of things, nothing worked.
Finally, I used EntroPay. Its the best alternative if you don't have a CC. I've been using it for months now and no problems as such. Their customer care is very good ( only email support ) and they are quick in chargebacks.

^^ That is not the case. I have been tracking this issue from quite sometime.
All private bank's debit cards work with Paypal.
The issue is not about charging the card but the 2 factor authentication being made mandatory & a very buggy implementation by public sector banks.
These international gateways do not support the additional authentication, and hence the payment is declined by the bank.
The private banks have realized this issue and they bypass the authentication automatically for international payments.
Entropay is an expensive option with its service charge & dual-currency conversion. Also, merchants have started rejecting VCCs. Don't be surprised if Entropay stops working in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1421946911][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, the official response of SBI is "Google Wallet is insecure and hence we don't allow it"

Last edited:
^^ That is not the case. I have been tracking this issue from quite sometime.
All private bank's debit cards work with Paypal.
The issue is not about charging the card but the 2 factor authentication being made mandatory & a very buggy implementation by public sector banks.
These international gateways do not support the additional authentication, and hence the payment is declined by the bank.
The private banks have realized this issue and they bypass the authentication automatically for international payments.
Entropay is an expensive option with its service charge & dual-currency conversion. Also, merchants have started rejecting VCCs. Don't be surprised if Entropay stops working in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1421946911][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, the official response of SBI is "Google Wallet is insecure and hence we don't allow it"
Thanks for the info. I was simply quoting PayPal customer care.

^^ Even the Paypal CC isn't sure about what is causing the issue. There is a terrible confusion among all parties involved.
As you can see from the response of my RTI, even the RBI is clueless about the consequences of its policies.
I had a chat with Google Wallet rep & he said that Google is compliant with all regulations. I told him not to be surprised if RBI slaps a huge fine in the future.

^^ Even the Paypal CC isn't sure about what is causing the issue. There is a terrible confusion among all parties involved.
As you can see from the response of my RTI, even the RBI is clueless about the consequences of its policies.
I had a chat with Google Wallet rep & he said that Google is compliant with all regulations. I told him not to be surprised if RBI slaps a huge fine in the future.
Correct. I'm surprised nothing has been done to fix this issue. And I think there are problems with other merchants also. Yesterday I needed to buy some chips in Zynga Poker, couldn't get any Debit card to work with App Store to complete the purchase. Had to login from an Android device and complete the purchase from Play Store.

I got my ICICI Basic Savings Account opened today after sending an angry letter to the manager threatening legal action. Lets see how it goes.
Meanwhile I'll be pursuing this matter with RBI via RTI route until I get the clarification that I am looking for.

Like PayPal Linkin issue anyone able to successfully link SBI debit card to Google Play. I tried contacting SBI through mail but they not giving valid reason

Once I tried Linkin SBI account to Google Play I got a message that it was Tring to withdraw large amount and was denied

The basic savings account comes with a RU Pay card which won't work for international payments.
Not for ICICI. They issue a VISA debit card.
www.icicibank.com/Personal-Banking/account-deposit/basic-savings/index.page?#toptitle
Like PayPal Linkin issue anyone able to successfully link SBI debit card to Google Play. I tried contacting SBI through mail but they not giving valid reason

Once I tried Linkin SBI account to Google Play I got a message that it was Tring to withdraw large amount and was denied
https://twitter.com/TheOfficialSBI/status/560316155324137472

Back